SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#372351 - 09/26/13 01:43 PM "Far From Home" - A Tyros 3/Motif XF Composition
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Hi:

I just finished working on this piece and wanted to share it. Hope you enjoy it. If you do I'd love to hear why. If you don't I'd love to hear why as well. I am always looking for ways to improve so fire away. Any constuctive criticism is welcome.

Some background on this work if you have an interest:

The Violin lead is from the Motif while the Classical Flute and Trumpet leads are from the Tyros.

Background soft strings are from the Tyros MovieStings voice.
Other accompaniment voices are Symphonic Pizzicato and Stereo Harp from the Motif with both providing 3 different variations using Motif arps.

It was recorded live to an external digital recorder with no sequencing or multi-tracking. No compression was used so it's the full dynamic range.

Joe

Far From Home
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#372369 - 09/27/13 08:46 AM Re: "Far From Home" - A Tyros 3/Motif XF Composition [Re: Joesax]
dtrue Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
Joe,
Very, very nice! Did you write the music? I am especially impressed with the violin sound. Is that the default voice in the T3 or do you have another sample? The style, is that your creation or an existing available one? Keep it up!
Dick

#372370 - 09/27/13 09:21 AM Re: "Far From Home" - A Tyros 3/Motif XF Composition [Re: dtrue]
Joesax Offline

Dick:

Yes, I wrote, arranged and recorded the work. It's my hobby.

The Violin is actually a GM Voice on the Motif XF. The accompaniment is not a style. It is made up of two Motif voices (Strings and Harp). With Motif you basically can quickly make your own "style". You select the voice and then you can choose from thousands of intelligent arpeggios for each voice. And you can have up to 5 different variations within a work. I used 3 for this work. So you basically try out a some these and find which ones work. That's it. The arpeggios respond to how you play and you have a variety of parameters for each that can change the behavior of the arp. The soft background strings you hear were from the Tyros as well as the Flute and Trumpet.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#372372 - 09/27/13 10:19 AM Re: "Far From Home" - A Tyros 3/Motif XF Composition [Re: Joesax]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not impressed with the flute sound... the breath tremolo/vibrato comes in FAR too early, makes it sound artificial, and the trumpet lacks bite.

But that violin is VERY good in certain ranges, and has nice dynamics.

Shame Yamaha don't share samples between the Motif and the Tyros' a lot more.

#372373 - 09/27/13 10:50 AM Re: "Far From Home" - A Tyros 3/Motif XF Composition [Re: Joesax]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Very nice, Joe...almost has an Asian, or oriental quality about it...beautiful, simple, and effective.

Violin is superb, but it's your technique that gives it the realism...well played, indeed, and very tidy arrangement.

Ian

#372374 - 09/27/13 11:50 AM Re: "Far From Home" - A Tyros 3/Motif XF Composition [Re: ianmcnll]
Joesax Offline

Thanks Ian. I did practice the phrasing for quite a while to get the right touch especially for the Violin. I also spent a while selecting the right accompaniment.

Diki, thanks for listening and commenting. The Classical Flute on the T3 does have a little too much vibrato so I agree with you but it's the best flute sound I have. As for the Trumpet I went for a very soft classical sound and programmed the voice that way without the "bite" you mentioned. So it's a choice I made and not indicative of the T3 Trumpet sound which as an SA2 Voice can have quite a lot of "bite".

Amazingly that Violin voice is a the General Midi Violin voice on the Motif XF. I love it. I did have to tweek the EQ and Velocity a bit to get the sound I wanted.

#372375 - 09/27/13 12:12 PM Re: "Far From Home" - A Tyros 3/Motif XF Composition [Re: Joesax]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Joesax

As for the Trumpet I went for a very soft classical sound and programmed the voice that way without the "bite" you mentioned. So it's a choice I made and not indicative of the T3 Trumpet sound which as an SA2 Voice can have quite a lot of "bite".

I was wondering why you didn't use SA2 Jazz Trumpet (also on my Tyros4) which is one of my favorite Tyros voices, Joe, but your explanation makes sense.

I can understand why the SA2 Jazz Trumpet would have a tad too much "tat" in the attack for your purpose, although I must say I use a trumpet sound much more often now that Yamaha has given us such a great warm expressive solo voice.

Again, I must say your violin "technique" is very well done...very convincing. Some of the GM/XG sounds are still very usable...I like the Growl Sax a lot, especially when played in mono mode.

Ian

#372376 - 09/27/13 12:23 PM Re: "Far From Home" - A Tyros 3/Motif XF Composition [Re: ianmcnll]
Joesax Offline

Ian:

That's what I used, the SA2 Jazz Trumpet, but I thought it had to much bite and I wanted a smooth classical sound for this so I tweeked the Velocity and played it lightly.

Violin voices are difficult to properly control so they need an alternate touch, hard for biting on low notes and a very delicate touch on high notes to avoid shrillness.

Joe

Joe

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online