SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#370515 - 08/16/13 08:46 AM s950 swing styles converted to Korg format?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I miss the simplicity of the Yamaha drum styles, especially the swing patterns. Anyone convert these to Korg PA style yet? How much is something like that worth? Trade other sounds, styles maybe?

I love the sound and feel of this 900, but I miss Ringo.

#370516 - 08/16/13 09:02 AM Re: s950 swing styles converted to Korg format? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Dave that's one of the downfalls of Yamaha to KORG conversion they just done sound the same..btw you got mail.. wink

Edited by Dnj (08/16/13 09:04 AM)

#370522 - 08/16/13 10:50 AM Re: s950 swing styles converted to Korg format? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

I do? Where's my mail?????
smile
BTW, most of what's missing is just a bit simpler drum pattern, (Korg - please, LAY OFF the latin percussion in swing styles!)
more, and cooler walking bass patterns in variations 2 & 3. V1 is all you need for the I and V patter, and maybe more brush work on the snare.

As for the busy-ness - I LOVE, love, love the asignable button set to "mute parts 1-5" ... I leave that off for almost everything unless I'm in the 4th variation. They are generally busier than I like.

Now, where's my mail, again?
smile

#370523 - 08/16/13 12:01 PM Re: s950 swing styles converted to Korg format? [Re: Uncle Dave]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Dave,
I totally agree. How about this for gigging stories. I used the PA900 three times now on my regular gigs. Believe it or not, at two of the venues I was asked not to bring back the PA900 because the folks with hearing aides found it very hard to tolerate. They were perfectly fine with either the Tyros 4 or my S950. What is that saying about the excessive overly busy variations 3 and 4 on almost all the styles.

I never thought about using one of the assignable buttons to turn off tracks. I will give that a try.

Deane

#370528 - 08/16/13 12:37 PM Re: s950 swing styles converted to Korg format? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Maybe you simply need something like the Roland's Makeup Tools editing? It is a snap to mute ALL the percussion with one button on Roland's, or each drum individually, then save the style.

Job done.

#370529 - 08/16/13 12:38 PM Re: s950 swing styles converted to Korg format? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Well Diki, if I HAD a Roland that'd be a feature I'd use, but let's stick to the topic right now, shall we? Boy, you and Fran think the answer to everything is "get a Roland."
You forget - that silent slab of yours has no speakers, no harmonizer and a teeny tiny viewing screen. Not for everyone .. certainly not for me.
Geeze Louize.
Anyway - the Korg addresses that very subject perfectly with the assignable button choices.

And Deane,
Yup- it's that "in your face" sound that Korg is famous for. I love it, but I want the best of both worlds. I'm editing drum styles as we speak. Copying walking patterns into bouncing ones. Make a huge difference for me. Yamaha is so good at "middle of the road", blended sound - your people are used to not having to "hear too much" at once.
smile

#370530 - 08/16/13 12:44 PM Re: s950 swing styles converted to Korg format? [Re: Uncle Dave]
hammer Offline

Dave,
I only play for senior audiences and what I have learned is not to loud and not to harsh goes a long way with them. I can't count the times I have been thanked after a gig for playing softer but fun music them. Took me about 2 years to learn that lesson. I too am playing with all the Korg tools to see what can be done. Have to admit, I am really enjoying it and I am in no hurry cause the 950 is ready to go when needed.

Deane

#370533 - 08/16/13 12:51 PM Re: s950 swing styles converted to Korg format? [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I think it is amazing about how different senior audiences can be ... I find I get more response out of the full blown or just about full blown styles then I do with the softer less complicated styles ...

#370539 - 08/16/13 01:45 PM Re: s950 swing styles converted to Korg format? [Re: Uncle Dave]
hammer Offline

Tony,
You are right. I have places like the full retirement communities where the people are still healthy, will dance or sing, and it is more of a party atmosphere. It is the Assisted Living venues where I must be very careful.

Deane

#370542 - 08/16/13 07:33 PM Re: s950 swing styles converted to Korg format? [Re: hammer]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Changing the drums and or bass -- or changing the Global EQ does the job for me.

My Kn7000 is laid back in both areas of drums and basses. With my Pa800 – using the above ideas I can get right in the middle of both keyboards.

The Global EQ can be changed easily.

John C.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online