SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#358378 - 01/09/13 02:27 PM your First Song of Your Show
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I ran across these tips on another forum and thought that they might be of interest to my fellow SZ members that are as Donny often says “out in the trenches” playing gigs. Although these tips are directed toward original rock band’s playing in clubs, I think his advice can carry over to us OMB guys too.

I hope we can use this as a springboard to discuss how we select our first song of the gig, pacing our show, and interacting with our audience. I look forward to hearing from y’all. Thanks!

http://blog.discmakers.com/2012/12/seven...campaign=EA1302

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#358381 - 01/09/13 02:48 PM Re: your First Song of Your Show [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

I look at the audience and thru years of on stage experience know what style song to open up with, .....I also use it as a test song for eQ levels, vocals, etc, to get a feel for the room acoustics. There are no rules just experienced choices.

#358387 - 01/09/13 03:41 PM Re: your First Song of Your Show [Re: montunoman]
124 Offline

We have a fairly 'pat' intro routine. It's not set in stone, but it follows along certain lines. Usually, it's Buddy Holly's 'It Doesn't Matter any More'. I kick it off on a four-chord trick pattern singing a doo-wop harmony over top (we're playing for seniors, remember), the missus does some intro patter over the top introducing us, then a quick change-up and we're into the song proper.

It's a nice structured intro and sets up the audience nicely.

#358389 - 01/09/13 04:10 PM Re: your First Song of Your Show [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
That first song will vary significantly with the audience composition. Learn to read the audience and you'll immediately know which song to do first, second, third, etc..., and of course the last is among the most important, providing a lasting impression.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#358390 - 01/09/13 06:16 PM Re: your First Song of Your Show [Re: montunoman]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
My audience doesn't change much, usually one of a half dozen NH locales, but the first song varies. It is usually one of the older songs in my bag, as I try to work myself thru the 40s to the 70s. As Gary says, the last song is most important. Mine is "Happy Trails." People are usually standing from singing "God Bless America" and they remain and sing along with me now because they know it's time to go. I get so many compliments on that song that I can't not play it.

#358394 - 01/09/13 07:34 PM Re: your First Song of Your Show [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Most of my nursing home shows (which isn't many right now) I start with Blue Suede Shoes--you know "One for the money, two for the show. . .) They ALWAYS sing along right from the first line.
My theme for nursing homes and retirement centers is "Old Time Rock 'n Roll and Classic Country".
For a few years I did a song I wrote for the opening song. It went something like this:
"Hello friends, how you feeling tonight?
I'm feeling good, hope you're doin' all right.
You can dance, or just listen for a while,
And I hope that what you hear will make you smile."
There was another verse, and it was just as corny, but it worked!
Dinner jobs I start with a medium speed song that might appeal to a broad spectrum of people. I often use A Fool Such As I to a swing style. Then I follow with a Latin style like Spanish Eyes, then a belly-rubber, such as Wonderful Tonight. After that it's mostly requests, but I try to alternate slow/fast songs.
For years, when I played in "smoky old bars" my opening song was "Swingin' Doors".
DonM

#358425 - 01/10/13 11:06 AM Re: your First Song of Your Show [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
That first song will vary significantly with the audience composition. Learn to read the audience and you'll immediately know which song to do first, second, third, etc..., and of course the last is among the most important, providing a lasting impression.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Absolutely, Gary. We end the show with the McGuire Sisters' 'Goodnight Sweetheart'. A couple of verses, then I drop the volume back as the missus says the goodbyes, thank-you's, see you next time, and such, then we're back in with the final verse and a proper ending.

#358427 - 01/10/13 11:21 AM Re: your First Song of Your Show [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Most of my nursing home shows (which isn't many right now) I start with Blue Suede Shoes--you know "One for the money, two for the show. . .) They ALWAYS sing along right from the first line.
My theme for nursing homes and retirement centers is "Old Time Rock 'n Roll and Classic Country".
For a few years I did a song I wrote for the opening song. It went something like this:
"Hello friends, how you feeling tonight?
I'm feeling good, hope you're doin' all right.
You can dance, or just listen for a while,
And I hope that what you hear will make you smile."
There was another verse, and it was just as corny, but it worked!
Dinner jobs I start with a medium speed song that might appeal to a broad spectrum of people. I often use A Fool Such As I to a swing style. Then I follow with a Latin style like Spanish Eyes, then a belly-rubber, such as Wonderful Tonight. After that it's mostly requests, but I try to alternate slow/fast songs.
For years, when I played in "smoky old bars" my opening song was "Swingin' Doors".
DonM

Don, I didn't think anyone but I open senior gigs with "Blue Suede Shoes".....I get the same reaction...foot tapping and singing along with "Blue, blue, blue suede shoes"...No need for the harmonizer.. smile

I end with "Goodnight Sweetheart Goodnight"...without Bowzer smile

Edited by Fran Carango (01/10/13 11:25 AM)

#358432 - 01/10/13 12:54 PM Re: your First Song of Your Show [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Now you know why we get the big bucks! wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#358434 - 01/10/13 12:59 PM Re: your First Song of Your Show [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No big bucks in nursing homes, but a lot of big smiles!
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online