SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#355601 - 11/30/12 09:41 AM New rig, sort of Pa3x on the cheap
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Guys

Quick picture of my new rig, a pa600 + a Kenton Control Freak ( I can adjust the volumes on Drums,Perc, Bass, Accmp, Pads, Lower and upper Voices. 16 tracks in all ) and my new toy the TC Helicon Voicelive Touch (I think I've tried every VH on the market, buy em cheap on eBay sell if you don't like em, bit like donny and his keyboards)

Excuse the picture quality I was so excited my hands shook. LOL

Regards

Col

Attachments
DSC00531.JPG

Edited by Saswick (11/30/12 09:43 AM)

#355605 - 11/30/12 10:33 AM Re: New rig, sort of Pa3x on the cheap [Re: Saswick]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
ENVY ... thy name is tony !!! sick surprised
... best of luck with it, Col ... grin

#355611 - 11/30/12 12:11 PM Re: New rig, sort of Pa3x on the cheap [Re: Saswick]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Nice setup Col

Forgot about the Kenton Control Freak (until now)
Curious as to the advantages of using this device. Is it just basically a shortcut to the Korg mixing console, or is it more than that?

The PA600/TC Helicon Voicelive Touch seems like a good combination. I'm thinking of the exact same setup.

Have Fun

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#355612 - 11/30/12 12:17 PM Re: New rig, sort of Pa3x on the cheap [Re: lahawk]
Saswick Offline

Originally Posted By: lahawk
Nice setup. Forgot about the Kenton Control Freak (until now)
Does it provide shortcuts to the PA600 mixing console? Just curious as to the advantages of using a device like that.

The PA600/TC Helicon Voicelive Touch seems like a good combination. I'm thinking of the same.

Have Fun

Hi Larry the link is soo easy midi out of the Kenton and into the Pa600, there is a standard preset in the kenton to control the volumes on the Pa. In the pa you set up the midi in channels to the tracks you want. I set mine similar to the pa3x, you also can control the 4 pads individually which is difficult on the Pa3x. A plus is no button pressing.

Regards

Col

#355615 - 11/30/12 12:52 PM Re: New rig, sort of Pa3x on the cheap [Re: Saswick]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Thanks Col...interesting.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Because you have the PA600/Kenton set up as pa3x, does it change the overall PA600 parameters to match as close as possible to a pa3X and the result is a pa3X in a PA600, or at least something close to a pa3X?

...all new road for me. smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#355617 - 11/30/12 01:22 PM Re: New rig, sort of Pa3x on the cheap [Re: lahawk]
Saswick Offline

Hi Larry

Before I had the Pa600 and of course the KMA I had the Pa2x and I really missed the control the sliders give you if you want to tweak the volume of the individual sounds in the accmp the lower and upper voices. The kenton gives me instant control on the fly of the volume on all the 16 tracks both in style play and also midi files.

I find it very useful on the pads which I use as extra track on the styles just to be able to adjust the volume without messing about.

The top row of knobs are: Drums, Perc, Bass, accp 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

The Bottom row are : Pad1, Pad2, Pad3, Pad4, Lower, Upper3, upper2, Upper1

16 tracks in all.

Col

#355618 - 11/30/12 01:38 PM Re: New rig, sort of Pa3x on the cheap [Re: Saswick]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Originally Posted By: Saswick
Hi Guys

Quick picture of my new rig, a pa600 + a Kenton Control Freak ( I can adjust the volumes on Drums,Perc, Bass, Accmp, Pads, Lower and upper Voices. 16 tracks in all ) and my new toy the TC Helicon Voicelive Touch (I think I've tried every VH on the market, buy em cheap on eBay sell if you don't like em, bit like donny and his keyboards)

Excuse the picture quality I was so excited my hands shook. LOL

Regards

Col

Is the Kenton Control Freak still available or made? were can tha tbe bought?

#355619 - 11/30/12 02:13 PM Re: New rig, sort of Pa3x on the cheap [Re: Saswick]
Saswick Offline

Hi Vangelis

They are no longer manufactured. I aquired mine on eBay where they pop up now and again there a three models I think two with sliders and one I have with knobs.

Novation make something similar in fact I almost bought one a novation Zero, it has a mix of sliders and knobs and is more sofisticated. The kenton is nice and simple to use.

Col

#355805 - 12/03/12 11:28 PM Re: New rig, sort of Pa3x on the cheap [Re: Saswick]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Col,

I have abided my time but now I must say I am amazed, correction I am astounded that not many more folks here have responded to this fiendishly clever solution. I did some reseach looked at your picture and found out that you have the Kenton with knobs, there also being a PRO version identical to yours but with sliders. Alas, as you remarked no longer in production but they are regularly on offer on EBAY and here in Holland there is one store that has still got three copies in stock of the Kenton Pro. ( mind you, retailing at 160 quid, 200 euros).
I think that in particular for the new PA600 and probably also for most Yamaha keyboard this is a Godsent. Imagine I would have had one when I did all my programming of the Korg Resources on offer on my site. Man it would have made a tremendous difference. And all those overhere who cannot stop but blowing the trumpet about the many sliders on the PA2X and now the PA3X, with this simple contraption you have 16 sliders with instant access while playing to ALL your volumes and more. Again Colin, this is a dynamite suggestion and I would think many are meanwhile on the look out.
In case you can't find one but the idea appeals to you there is the Behringer alternative of the Behringer BCF2000. Check it out on the net. It has 'only ' got 8 sliders, but an additional 8 or more rotary buttons so that in the end you should end up with the same overall control as portrayed by Col with his Kenton contraption.
RECOMMENDED

regards,
John Smies

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec02/articles/controlfreaklive.asp

http://www.kentonuk.com/reviews/index.shtml#1

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BCF2000.aspx

#355963 - 12/06/12 08:22 AM Re: New rig, sort of Pa3x on the cheap [Re: john smies]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Colin,

Lost your email address after computer breakdown.
Could you please contact me: pasounds@zeelandnet.nl
Cheers,
John

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online