SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#351635 - 09/24/12 11:43 AM +++STOP PRESS+++ BEACH BOYS LIVE
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Though it may not be directly linked to keyboards I am sure many of you would be pleased to know they can tune in within about 20 minutes to a LIVE performance of the original BEACH BOYS on BBC RADIO 2, lasting for about an hour and a half.
You can listen to it via internet, see link below. The concert starts at 20.00hrs ( Local London Time).
As you may know the Beachboys got together again for their 50th anniversary and did a gruelling World Tour,loads of which can be seen on youtube.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m9vpk

regards,
John Smies

#351765 - 09/27/12 06:59 AM Re: +++STOP PRESS+++ BEACH BOYS LIVE [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

Brian Wilson dumped by The Beach Boys...

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-pr...-173511608.html

#351774 - 09/27/12 09:15 AM Re: +++STOP PRESS+++ BEACH BOYS LIVE [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
quote by Mike Love from the article: "You have to be careful not to get overexposed," he added, citing fears that interest would level off and ticket prices would fall."
Well, IMHO, if he leaves the rest of the Beach Boys behind, HE probably won't have to worry about OVER exposure ... and does he think ticket prices will remain high just to see him and 'replacement' Beach Boys??? ... we see what 'replacements' did for the NFL referee situation ... smirk
I believe I posted here when I saw them on tv promoting the tour and commented that with such a fairly large group behind them it was difficult to know who was actually doing the singing/playing ... in fact it was painful to see Brian Wilson looking almost comatose sitting at a kb ...
But, apparently to Love it's all about the $$$$$ ... too bad ...

#351777 - 09/27/12 10:47 AM Re: +++STOP PRESS+++ BEACH BOYS LIVE [Re: tony mads usa]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

I posted this item because I thought many among you might be interested to hear the concert. After all they are the only renowned band worldwide who, after Cliff Richard and the Shadows in 2009, managed to appear on stage with virtually the same line up, 50 years after their first appearance.

(incidentally the concert can still be heard apparently on the site/ link I mentioned in my first posting.)

Apparently Mike Love has always been a pain in the you know where and I concur with one fan who remarks: "Brian Wilson IS the Beachboys. " Sad to see his coming to pieces though.
the radio concert is a replica of the live concert I witnessed in Belgium this year. Professional but with poor showings here in there in the vocals noticably for Brian Wilson. If you care to look into stuff Brian Wilson produced with his own band during 2000-2011, you will come across some great compositions, noticably his 2008 concept album Lucky Old Sun. Absolutely great and on a par with his best stuff in the sixties.

Earlier this year they guest appeared in the USA Rollin Stone Studios and recorded three songs live with a handful of spectators. Here is the link. More enjoyable I think than the over orchestrated live tour. ( which was also incredibly LOUD where we saw it...........)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDAt01CuqoM&feature=related

greetings,
John

#351779 - 09/27/12 10:54 AM Re: +++STOP PRESS+++ BEACH BOYS LIVE [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tony, I had some interaction with the Beach boys when I was in California in the early 60'S. Funny thing...they got big all across the country, but if the 4 Seasons or Dick Dale was working in southern California, they could not get a gig.

Brian IS the Beach Boys. Love is a lucky man to have been associated with a musical genius.

I agree with you on Brian's condition. I met up with him in Lexington 6 months or so at a tribute performance at the Opera House. He was gracious and remembered common acquaintances and says he remembered when I was gigging in 1963, but I think he was not altogether sure.

Love "Don't Worry Baby" and many of the great tunes he wrote.

Sad how things are turning out, but Brian has enough "bank" to not suffer.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online