SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#345173 - 05/30/12 07:10 AM Start a band
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Came across this on another forum...

Six months of hard work, one gig, and it starts, or actually ends! Well, I said a few days ago that one monkey don't stop a show, but several of them sure can! It took six months of hard work to get the big group I wanted together enough to play our first gig, and it went over extremely well... But the honeymoon, and I guess the marriage too, is over now, because the lead singer decided he wants to take the next month off, and then only meet once a month whether we are playing or just rehearsing, because his life is just too busy with his job, kids, grandkids, other hobbies, etc. And, as soon as he said that the keyboard, drummer, and other guitarist bailed, all headed in different directions, or so it seems.
One wants a different set list, the other wants more money, and the other one just got an offer with an established group...
The biggest paradox of trying to get a decent group together seems to be that when I find the talent they have no free time, and when I find the ones with free time they do not have the talent!
Will it never end? I think I'm getting too old for this!
And, my wife wants to kill him!

#345176 - 05/30/12 08:43 AM Re: Start a band [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I've said it before and I'll say it again and again - 26 yrs with the same guys, never had any problems ... what a RARE relationship ... and I MISS it !!! ... frown

One year with a 'classic rock' band in RI - 8 pieces - played a few gigs and then after our biggest and most successful gig at the Providence Waterfront Festival, the group broke up ... crazy

#345180 - 05/30/12 09:20 AM Re: Start a band [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Get the gig FIRST, then you'll have no problems finding good players.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#345184 - 05/30/12 09:58 AM Backing tracks on BK7 [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
I'm looking at the possibility of recording backing tracks

on my BK7 for use with my accordion for restaurant work.

I will need at least 30 tracks/pieces. My aim is to cut down

on Midi cables etc and leave my BK7 at home.

I'm looking for advice as to what type of media player I would

use on the gig and could it be controlled by a footswitch.

The recordings I've done so far are Wav files on my BK7 USB

memory. Do I need to convert them to another format or are Wav

files universal?

I'm thinking laptop computer or maybe an Ipod.

Any thoughts, anyone ?

Frank

#345197 - 05/30/12 03:32 PM Re: Backing tracks on BK7 [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt! Had a great band for about 5 years, most were mediocre when it came to talent, but toward the end the lead guitarist would sometimes show and sometimes not. The bass player got stoned before the job ever started and stayed that way. The lead singer, who also played an acoustic guitar, decided he sounded better after several boiler makers and the drummer always seemed to be playing somewhere else. No one wanted to rehearse, and they all wanted more money. Best thing I ever did was to go solo, at first with a guitar, then with the keyboard. Out of all of them, I'm the only one that continues to play. The lead guitar player plays a fair number of freebees at nursing homes, but every song he performs is something by Marty Robbins and after about 15 minutes the residents are falling asleep.

Finding a group of GOOD players who are willing to put in the time and do what is necessary to be successful is next to impossible.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#345204 - 05/30/12 06:19 PM Re: Backing tracks on BK7 [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Bill,
Yeah, the best and most reliable person is yourself, so look at your talents and go get gigs. If along the way you find a partner to play the gig with, then ok. Try to relax and let others find you, then you decide who stays and who goes, IMO.

#345215 - 05/31/12 07:30 AM Re: Backing tracks on BK7 [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bill. I'd work with you in a heartbeat. Of course, I'll be tied up until after Christmas. Then, I can't work any week-ends. And, I'd like 50 cents a mile travel time between Kentucky and Louisiana.

Plus, I'd like the leaders fee. And, if there's a rehearsal, I get $75.00 an hour overtime fee...plus YOU buy the drinks and dinner.

Other than these few requests, IT'S ON BUDDY (LOL)!

Russ

Actually, having a group is a "Love-hate" deal. When things work, there's nothing like it. But, when they don't it's the most frustrating thing imaginable.

I'm lucky. My son and grandson are in my trio, so I'm the undisputed "king" of that group. Then, I have an association as guest artist with the local philharmonic, which is nice. If I need players, I get them from the local University music programs...all great, talented kids eager to learn. What they'll be like in a few years...who knows?

Just send the jet down to get me (no yellow M&M's, please) and we'll get going!

Russ (disillusioned "star") Lay

#345217 - 05/31/12 07:45 AM Re: Start a band [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic
Came across this on another forum...

Six months of hard work, one gig, and it starts, or actually ends! Well, I said a few days ago that one monkey don't stop a show, but several of them sure can! It took six months of hard work to get the big group I wanted together enough to play our first gig, and it went over extremely well... But the honeymoon, and I guess the marriage too, is over now, because the lead singer decided he wants to take the next month off, and then only meet once a month whether we are playing or just rehearsing, because his life is just too busy with his job, kids, grandkids, other hobbies, etc. And, as soon as he said that the keyboard, drummer, and other guitarist bailed, all headed in different directions, or so it seems.
One wants a different set list, the other wants more money, and the other one just got an offer with an established group...
The biggest paradox of trying to get a decent group together seems to be that when I find the talent they have no free time, and when I find the ones with free time they do not have the talent!
Will it never end? I think I'm getting too old for this!
And, my wife wants to kill him!

The solution to this is a 3 letter word, OMB.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#345219 - 05/31/12 09:18 AM Re: Start a band [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill doesn't have a band. His post referred to someone else's post on another site.
He sometimes uses a couple of guys to back him up, but they are plentiful around here!
DonM

#345229 - 05/31/12 03:45 PM Re: Start a band [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Bill doesn't have a band. His post referred to someone else's post on another site.
He sometimes uses a couple of guys to back him up, but they are plentiful around here!
DonM

band = laptop.. wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online