SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#344277 - 05/01/12 01:27 PM Monitor
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I use two Bose Compacts and on louder gigs sometimes I get feedback. I thought maybe having a monitor on stage and the Compacts in front of us might help. Any thoughts?

This looks interesting- it's a electronic drum amp. Maybe it work good for keys too?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/simmons-da200s-electronic-drum-set-monitor#review

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#344283 - 05/01/12 02:12 PM Re: Monitor [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
For small (single) gigs, I use either a little Roland CM-30, or a small Peavey Minx (bass amp). The Minx has active e.q. and enough bass and full range capacity to get the job done. I use a little amp stand. The Roland has a mike stand adapter on the bottom. I sometimes use it alone for a really quiet (read less than 25 people) dinner gig. It's the best value at $179.00. You can find a used Minx for $150.00 or less. Be sure to look at the ones with blue knob rings. That's the one with active e.q.

On a little larger jobs, I use two 300 watt Carvin Wedges, powered by a 150 watt stereo Crate power amp. They can be pole mounted, if needed.

On really tiny jobs, I use a Hot spot on one side of the power amp. I use one 12", set the Hot spot on top of the power amp and and aim it my way.

Several jobs a year require a monitor system of 4 500 watt Crowns and 8 wedges.

Whatever works!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (05/01/12 02:21 PM)

#344289 - 05/01/12 03:43 PM Re: Monitor [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Paul,

I suspect a couple things may be wrong, and before spending the bucks on a monitor the first thing I would suspect is the mic EQ settings are not correct, or the mic(s) are not high-quality, super-cardiod or hyper-cariord mics.

In my case, I use a headset mic and can walk directly in front of the speakers and never have a hint of feedback--even on the louder jobs using a pair of L1 Compacts. I position the Bose L1 Compacts about 12 to 18 inches to the right of the keyboard, and about 6-inches behind me--no problems whatsoever. I hear what the audience hears. Now, years ago, when I was using conventional sound systems, and a Peavey monitor, I never really heard what the audience was hearing. What I heard is what the monitor put out, which was not the same as what those monster speakers were belching out to the audience, and that was a problem. I've never been able to get a monitor to match the same sounds that were coming from the PA system, and for one good reason--they were two, different sound systems. And, if I cranked up the monitor, guess what--I got feedback.

So, first and foremost, what brand and model mics is your band using?

Next, are the mics being fired through a mixer, or are they fired through your keyboard?

If they're high-quality, super-cardiod or hyper-cardiod, and fired through a mixer then it may just be a matter of cutting back on the high and mid EQs of the mixer, and increasing the level of the low EQs. If those mics are omni-directional you're going to get feedback no matter what sound system you use--even if they are the most expensive mics money can buy. Short range uni-directional mics don't usually have a feedback problem.

If you are firing your mic through the keyboard, then it's a matter of going into the mic settings page of the keyboard and adjusting the 3-band EQ, again reducing the mid and high EQs and increasing the low EQ. You'll be amazed how much difference this will make.

Also, don't forget about your keyboard's global EQ. If he mic if fired through the keyboard, and you've set the mic EQs properly, but failed to set the global EQs, then this too will result in feedback.

Hope this helps, but if it doesn't email me your telephone number and I'll be more than happy to provide some first-hand assistance over the telephone. Also, you don't live that far from Don Mason, so you could slip over to Ernests Restaurant where he performs, take a look at his setup and settings and take some notes. He too uses a pair of L1 Compacts and never has a feedback problem.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#344292 - 05/01/12 04:06 PM Re: Monitor [Re: montunoman]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown

Yeah, what Gary said... dancers

Any and every system can and will feedback if gain and EQ are not properly balanced.

#344296 - 05/01/12 05:39 PM Re: Monitor [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Thanks Gary, the kind of feed back was a low rumble type sound- not the typical high pitched ringy sound.

We use a Shure SM 58 and Peavy i12 cardioid.I use the Peavy and run it through my tyros and my wife has her Shure going through a TC Helicon Voice Live 2 and then into a yamaha mixer.

I'll play around with the EQ and gain. We've only had this problem at one place that we've played. Maybe it's the room. I didn't have time to do a good sound check.

#344302 - 05/01/12 10:20 PM Re: Monitor [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well you need an excuse to come back over anyway. smile
If you are getting low-end feedback, be sure you aren't setting the speakers on a wooden bandstand floor. That can cause it for sure.
Don

#344305 - 05/02/12 05:01 AM Re: Monitor [Re: DonM]
montunoman Offline

Yes Don, we do need to get back your way again. I'd really like to hear your Korg. Hopefully we'll have some time over the summer...

I think you got it right- we were playing on an elevated wood band stand. Maybe next time I'll try to set the Compacts on some chairs so their not on the ground.

#344319 - 05/02/12 08:38 AM Re: Monitor [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
One other thought . . . certain mics are more susceptible to picking up bass vibrations. I have some Samson R11s that sound really good, but you can tap the mic stand while one is on it and it makes bass noise.
The SM58 shouldn't do that, but the Peavey might.
There are also some very high-end mics that you can't even use without a sound insulating mic holder.
Hope to see you soon!
DonM

#344322 - 05/02/12 09:02 AM Re: Monitor [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Yeah the cheap Peavy Mic and wood band stand maybe is a bad combination. Thanks guys for your insights.

#344324 - 05/02/12 09:16 AM Re: Monitor [Re: montunoman]
Duane O Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest, California, USA
The Peavy i12 ($59 retail) is not a professional quality mic. My wife and I both use the Sennheiser 421. No feedback, and you can sing very softly.

Duane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online