SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#338360 - 02/01/12 12:15 AM The Three Deadly for the Korg Micro Arranger
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Over the last six weeks or so we have seen how this new mini arranger first hit the streets in the USA. We have also witnessed the vicissitudes of Donny, Scott ,Fran etc. often resulting in selling or wanting to sell it again within weeks. There is nothing wrong with that in itself and seeing the streetprice (new) in the States you can't go wrong very far or loose out a lot in selling. Compared to the top arrangers we are truly talking peanuts here.
In my view and for what it is worth the three deadly sins with the Micro are these:
1. Playing the Micro basically on the Micro keys itself.
2. Playing the Micro thru its own internal amplification.
3. Playing the Micro with basically the factory presets.

It goes without saying that unboxing the Micro one has to give it a maiden spin which implies playing the darn thing on its own keys and thru its own (lousy) amplification. Now I know some here have said they do not find the small keys to be a problem, Colin for one even preferred them. Personally I am convinced that if you want to warm to the use of this Korg you should try and hook it up to major keys as soon as possible.(also see page 8 of my webpages where I have explained how to do so with a Yamaha keyboard).
I had the Micro in my home for one afternoon over the weekend and of course tried out some of my copious software. The amplification is really poor. I hooked it up ( audio wise) to my Korg PA800 and later Yamaha PSR300) and the Micro sounded absolutely great. Even hooking it up to my Creative gigaworks T10 (or T20) speakers made it sing. So why persist in using its internal amplification other than very short spells in between whatever, one should not bother to play it on its own.
As to the third point, a bit tricky cause it may sound like "when did your trumpeter die ?!". But I believe there is also a proper English adage that says " What is the good of a sundial in the shade ? "
With the possible exemption of the Yamaha Tyros I have heard very few arranger keyboards that sound terrific and impressive straight out of the box. And that certainly goes for Korg and Roland as far as I am concerned. I had the PA50 and PA80 for five years and programmed intensively on both. Why would one not want to avail himself of those sources ? surely not because of the 25 euro that I am asking as a donation ? I know for a fact that many Yamaha players buy styles at regular intervals paying up 5 to 10 dollars for one single style !!!

In conclusion I want to say that people who observe these three points and taken into consideration the incredibly low streetprice in the USA cannot go wrong with the acquisition of such a keyboard. My two cents for what they are worth......

kind regards,
John Smies

#338362 - 02/01/12 12:49 AM Re: The Three Deadly for the Korg Micro Arranger [Re: john smies]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

Hi John,
you really should get your facts right. I'm not aware that Scott has made mention of wanting to sell his.
As far as I'm aware , he's quite happy with his.
[quote=john smies]
Over the last six weeks or so we have seen how this new mini arranger first hit the streets in the USA. We have also witnessed the vicissitudes of Donny, Scott ,Fran etc. often resulting in selling or wanting to sell it again within weeks.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338363 - 02/01/12 12:53 AM Re: The Three Deadly for the Korg Micro Arranger [Re: rikkisbears]
john smies Offline

I stand corrected.
Apologies to Scott that is.

regards,
John

#338388 - 02/01/12 08:24 AM Re: The Three Deadly for the Korg Micro Arranger [Re: john smies]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I don't know about others but personally I find the Korg PA3x quite satisfying out of the box.

#338401 - 02/01/12 10:13 AM Re: The Three Deadly for the Korg Micro Arranger [Re: FransN]
john smies Offline

Hi Frans,

Well I don't know for others either personally I did not even like the PA3X all that much straight out of the box but that is in fact not what I meant.

After all the Micro/ PA50 is, as several have reminded us of here based on 10 year old technology. I guess I was referring more to keyboards in the period up till 2006. But then again it is a personal view.......

greetings !!!
(bet it's freezing cold in the Hague as well ??!!!)

John

#338404 - 02/01/12 11:39 AM Re: The Three Deadly for the Korg Micro Arranger [Re: john smies]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
John,

This has nothing to do with owning a Korg but I want to commend you on your use of the English language. English is my native and only language and I've never heard or used the word "vicissitudes". I wish our country would demand that we learn a second language.

Tom

Tom

#338405 - 02/01/12 11:42 AM Re: The Three Deadly for the Korg Micro Arranger [Re: john smies]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Hi John,

Yes it is very cold here. I have frozen fingers smile

Greetings
Frans

#338406 - 02/01/12 12:07 PM Re: The Three Deadly for the Korg Micro Arranger [Re: FransN]
john smies Offline

Frans,

So it is a good thing you don't have to tickle the mini keys of the Micro !

Tom,
Thank you that is very kind of you to say so. I guess my education was not that bad after all !! As to any second language I would not advise folks in the USA to resort to Dutch ! Seriously though language teaching could use a boost both in the States and in the UK.

Meanwhile it has grown suspicioulsy quiet on the Korg Micro front . A seven days' wonder after all ?

kind regards,
John

#338412 - 02/01/12 01:34 PM Re: The Three Deadly for the Korg Micro Arranger [Re: FransN]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

Hi Frans,
me too, I luv it, apart from which I'm more than happy to set my keyboard up to suit my own needs as no doubt you are to, you're not a korg newbie either.

Originally Posted By: FransN
I don't know about others but personally I find the Korg PA3x quite satisfying out of the box.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338413 - 02/01/12 01:36 PM Re: The Three Deadly for the Korg Micro Arranger [Re: john smies]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I heard the Micro Arranger at George Kayes Music store yesterday, and while not my cup of tea (keys) it sounds really good....

It makes sense for someone who wants to add it to a controller keyboard....

While I personally wouldn't buy one, because I just want one great board, I could not in good faith down anyone for adding it to their arsenal.....

It's a means to an end.......A lot of goodies for under $500

Edited by Steve A (02/01/12 01:37 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online