SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#334686 - 12/23/11 08:20 AM Making two 1/4" cables out of one
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I need some more 1/4" cables. I have way too many cables with xlr connections! I have two 50' 1/4" Carvin cables that I never use because they are so long! I was wondering, can I cut them in two and attach a 1/4" connector? If so, where can I buy those, are they available locally or do you have to mail order?

#334688 - 12/23/11 08:26 AM Re: Making two 1/4" cables out of one [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill, Radio Shack has some. Also I'm pretty sure Don has some at Shreveport Music.
Should be no problem if you can work a soldering iron.
DonM

#334689 - 12/23/11 08:48 AM Re: Making two 1/4" cables out of one [Re: DonM]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Bill, Radio Shack has some. Also I'm pretty sure Don has some at Shreveport Music.
Should be no problem if you can work a soldering iron.
DonM

Do you have a soldering iron? I used to have one, haven't seen it in years. As that was, like, 30 years ago, haha.

Hmmm... my brother might have one.

Is it self-explanatory what to solder to what?

#334697 - 12/23/11 12:16 PM Re: Making two 1/4" cables out of one [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill I have one. It's pretty simple. Let me know if you need to use mine.
DonM

#334708 - 12/23/11 07:32 PM Re: Making two 1/4" cables out of one [Re: DonM]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Or you could see if you can find a plug that I've used on my mic cable since around 1980. You don't need to solder. YOu cut the cord flat, stick it in the end of the plug and tighten a screw until tight and it's all done.

I got mine when I owned a full line music store in Wisconsin. I was thinking about getting some more, but haven't started my search yet. If anybody comes across these neat little plugs please tell me where you got them.

Scott

Edited by Scott Langholff (12/23/11 07:33 PM)

#334770 - 12/25/11 10:25 AM Re: Making two 1/4" cables out of one [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Scott, I found Radio Shack item 274-1536 Solderless Mono 1/4" Phone Plug. I assume that is what I want. On package it says...

screw-type terminals
screw-on housing

You unscrew the housing and inside are what appear to be two places to attach a small wire through a hole and then maybe you wrap the wire around the tiny screw and screw it down to hold the wire tight?

How should I cut the cable, does it matter? Just chop it in two or what? Once that is done, what am I looking for?

They also had shielded connectors. Should I have bought that? Are most common cables shielded?

#334775 - 12/25/11 01:46 PM Re: Making two 1/4" cables out of one [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
You got a different kind of plug, it is essentially the same concept as the ones you solder except here you just screw them down.

The one I have and was refering to you cut the cord flat with no wires exposed except at the very end. The plug itself only has a hole on the end opposite the 1/4" jack. You slide the unstripped cord into this hole and there is one screw you tighten on the side. The screw is sharp enough that it cuts the cord shield somehow and that's all there is to do it.

#334776 - 12/25/11 02:00 PM Re: Making two 1/4" cables out of one [Re: Scott Langholff]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

That type of plug only works for coaxial, or shielded cable. It will not work on standard, 2-wire cable.

Bill--stick with your day job. wink Just kidding. The type of plug you found at Radio Shack is simple to use, and you can either solder the connection (recommended), or wrap the wire around the tiny screw. If you opt to wrap the wire around the screw, you should tin the end of the wire before doing so. This prevents tiny "cat whiskers" of wire from shorting out the connections.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (12/25/11 02:05 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#334780 - 12/25/11 04:54 PM Re: Making two 1/4" cables out of one [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

What does 'tin' the end mean?

If I solder, any special kind of solder required?

#334785 - 12/25/11 06:54 PM Re: Making two 1/4" cables out of one [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

I'll give you a call tomorrow night and walk you through the process over the telephone.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online