SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#333840 - 11/28/11 01:29 PM Alesis Multi Mix 6 FX
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
http://www.alesis.com/multimix6fx
This is the non-powered mixer I use ... I know some others here - including the 'great lover' Gary D - have mentioned they use it also ... Today while rehearsing, the sound from the left speaker (Podium 10) cut out ... my first fear was that it was the speaker 'line in' connection, because the 'mic in' worked fine ... then I checked the speaker wires which were fine, and finally checked the 'Left Out' jack on the mixer ... no sound !

Have any of you had this problem, and is there a cure (an easy/inexpensive cure hopefully)?

thnx

#333844 - 11/28/11 03:41 PM Re: Alesis Multi Mix 6 FX [Re: tony mads usa]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tony, does it lose left side on all channels?
I guess you did check the pan control....

Could be the connection of the output jack...maybe just a bit of cleaning...
I still have this mixer with the band going on 9-10 years..it redlights on the output meter..but still works(sounds) good..

How about the control room outs...does it work okay there...and what about phone out...and headphone...???

Edited by Fran Carango (11/28/11 03:43 PM)

#333852 - 11/28/11 05:42 PM Re: Alesis Multi Mix 6 FX [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
What Fran said. I recently sold mine to a friend who raves about the mixer--says it's the best he owned.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#333864 - 11/28/11 10:32 PM Re: Alesis Multi Mix 6 FX [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If it DOES need repair, it's probably cheaper to buy a new one. My friend HankB had one and it worked like a charm. In fact it outlived him, I'm sorry to say.
DonM

#333895 - 11/29/11 10:38 AM Re: Alesis Multi Mix 6 FX [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Fran ... Checked all connections - headphones, control room, tape in - no left sounds anywhere ... confused1

Gary ... up until now the unit has been great ... but as I said, the left cut out in the middle of a tune ... confused2

Don ... you are probably right about the cost to repair vs buying new - I just don't like to get rid of stuff if it can be fixed ...

#334112 - 12/04/11 11:50 AM Re: Alesis Multi Mix 6 FX [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Well, I checked into repair - one guy close by gets $75/hour with a one hour minimum to look at it ... another guys price was $45/hour but said it might be very difficult to repair as it is an intermittent problem which would be difficult to fix and not worth the time and effort ...
What bugs me is that alesis world hdqtrs is right here in li'l ol' rhody!!!
What bugs me more is that I go to Guitar Center and talk to the salesBOY - these guys get YOUNGER every day - or am I getting OLDER?!?!? smile ... and I end up purchasing an alesis multimix 8 fx:
http://www.alesis.com/multimix8usbfx

I take the unit home, plug everything in and test it out ... the mic sounds great, BUT I get almost NO output from the kb in the line input channels - NONE of them ... I try the on board fx and can't hear any discernible difference in the settings ... then I plug in my zoom recorder - I get NO sounds from the 'tape in' channel, so 'on a lark' I plug it into the 'tape out' channel - VOILA - it plays ... not with the same volume as my multi mix 6, but it plays ...
I try an A/B comparison between the 6 (the problem was not occurring at this time mad )and the new 8 and the 8 required much higher settings to get anywhere near the volume of the 6 ... at this point I am wondering if the 8 was put together by some disgruntled employee ... SOOooo, it take the 8 back to GC and tell a different salesBOY my sad tale ... he tells me that they are finding that more and more people are buying mixers these days, and the manufacturers are lowering the quality to keep the prices competitive ... I am a little skeptical about that - except for how bad the 8 was - because he is now trying to sell me a much more expensive mixer ...
Bottom line is that I ended up purchasing a Mackie Pro 8:
http://www.mackie.com/products/profx8/
So far everything sounds really good ... it will get its first 'trial by fire' on Wednesday ...

Sorry for taking up so much bandwidth, but I HADto vent ...

#334123 - 12/04/11 06:33 PM Re: Alesis Multi Mix 6 FX [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'll be interested in hearing your baptism by fire report, Tony.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#334132 - 12/05/11 09:12 AM Re: Alesis Multi Mix 6 FX [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony,

I don't get here much anymore........just read your post on the mixer. I have what I think is this Alesis fx6

If you're interested we can make a deal shoot me an e-mail or I'll call you on the nasty drive home today from Boston to Providence computer I don't use it and haven't for at least 2 years. I've got it in home storage. Anyway just a thought.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online