SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#329775 - 07/30/11 06:20 AM Help simple ? for you guys
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
What about instead of using my Mackie 808S and 2 15" speakers in the park for a farmers market this morning, I just plug the 2 15" speakers into my 100 watt full range Carvin with a 12" speaker. I just use it in front of the coffee shop by itself for a fall festival and it works fine. But the sound at the coffee is coming out of a cubby hole inset of the coffee shop. I've been wanting to try this. They don't want me knocking down the trees anyway. Ha!
I'll check this post in a while. I'm headed to get my stuff set up now so I don't have to park in the boondocks later. I start at 11:00AM Mountain time.

#329782 - 07/30/11 07:56 AM Re: Help simple ? for you guys [Re: brickboo]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I’ve only had one experience playing in a store front “cubby hole”. There was no dispersion of the sound. The most prevalent sound outside of the “cubby hole” was the sound of the bass thump. It may be best to set yourself up in the ‘cubby’ with the speakers in front of the store.
Ciao,
Jerry

#329796 - 07/30/11 01:25 PM Re: Help simple ? for you guys [Re: Jerry T]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I use the little Carvin "full rangers" with a 12 and I discovered something really unusual. Instead of increasing the volume with an additional speaker (by reducing the total impedance), they actually do the reverse. I wouldn't plug more than one 8 ohm cabinet into the extension jack. You'd probably fry the amp with two.

Strange, but very useful little guys. I have two: one in black carpet (been using for 10 years-no effects) and a 5 year old green one with effects and a matching green extension speaker.

Good luck!

R.

#329802 - 07/30/11 02:38 PM Re: Help simple ? for you guys [Re: brickboo]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The Mackie 808S is a powered mixer. He is running from monitor out to the Carvin, so he can use it as a monitor. I spoke with Boo a couple times on the phone this morning and he has it straightened out.
DonM

#329855 - 08/01/11 06:17 AM Re: Help simple ? for you guys [Re: DonM]
brickboo Offline

Thanks friends for the help again. I forgot I had Don in my cell phone.

Russ suppose I run the line out of the Carvin to the 15" Peavey which I did before and it worked fine, but then suppose I come out of the jack on the right side of that Peavey to the left jack of my other Peavey, you think it would fry my Carvin. I wouldn't have to set the volumn very high, wouldn't it just cover a wider area this way? Thanks again.

#329865 - 08/01/11 10:13 AM Re: Help simple ? for you guys [Re: brickboo]
captain Russ Offline

Bill, if you're coming out of a "line out", that's an unpowered connection and should go into a regular input channel.

Not sure what you're coming out of, but you have to be careful that the combined impedance of the cabinets you're going into is not less than 4 ohms.

What Don said-coming out of a "line out" on the powered Macke into a regular channel is a good way to use the Carvin as a monitor. In that case, you could also connect an 8 ohm cabinet extension cabinet, turn the power up and go!

Russ

PS: How's the old Guild working out?

Edited by captain Russ (08/01/11 10:14 AM)

#329867 - 08/01/11 11:13 AM Re: Help simple ? for you guys [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

Sorry, Boo, confused you with Don's friend Bill
Pittman.

Keep on "honkin" on!

R.

#329921 - 08/02/11 07:53 PM Re: Help simple ? for you guys [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

So I guess I meant come out of the speaker out on the back of the Carvin to the left jack of a peavey speaker and on that peavey speaker come out of the right jack to the left jack of another peavey, would that hurt the Carvin?
Is what I asking clear?

#329946 - 08/03/11 09:50 AM Re: Help simple ? for you guys [Re: brickboo]
captain Russ Offline

In order for that to work, you must not go under the OHM minimum of the Carvin Amplifier. If the minimum extension speaker OHM rating is 4 OHMs, you could use two 8 OHM cabinets.

I suspect the Ohm minimum on a 100 ampere head is 8 OHM's, which means one 8 Ohm cabinet.

Check the OHm minimum on the back of the back of the Carvin and check the impedance on the Peavy cabinets. Volume does affect the potential for damage, but it's never good to go under the stated Ohm minimum.

I'll look at my "little greenie" tonight, but I've got a matching green Carvin extensi0n cabinet, so there's no problem.

You could do as Don suggested: Come out of the "line out" of another amp (use whatever speakers are appropriate for that), go into a channel on the Carvin, and use whatever speakers are appropriate for that. Then, you would be chaining the power amps and setting each one as needed. I use the Carvin with a Hotspot monitor, plugged into the extension jack, aimed my way for small jobs, and the Carvin with the extension cabinet plugged into the extension jack, plus a line out into a little Roland CM 30 monitor when I need a little more.

On the surface, two extension cabinets out of the Carvin is not a great idea. You may fry the power amp. It makes no difference whether you had two extension speaker jacks in the Carvin or "daisy chain" from one Peavey to another...same impedance issues (in most cases).

R.

Edited by captain Russ (08/03/11 10:08 AM)

#329952 - 08/03/11 01:33 PM Re: Help simple ? for you guys [Re: captain Russ]
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Hi - A few years ago, I had the Carvin unit & it's wired such that when you 'add' an extra speaker, it is in series, not in parallel-as most amps are-& thats why the volume is reduced-you are only drawing half the current when you add another speaker to these units. With most amps the extention speaker runs in parallel, you draw more current, but the volume of each speaker should be similar as if you were listening to one speaker.
I believe Carvin does this cause the amp 'normally' is running at max.
Cheers!
Gord

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online