SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#327583 - 06/28/11 12:57 PM Reflectins on nursing home gigs...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Gary posted an interesting piece on Nursing home Gigs a while back, and that got me thinking (always a dangerous thing).

In the thread, there were several references to some elitist opinions that the Nursing home gigs were "bottom of the barrel" jobs only played by folks who couldn't do anything else.

For well-known political reasons, I don't play Nursing home gigs. But there's another, major issue.

I'm a TERRIBLE entertainer...no banter at all! In fact, in the 55 years I have been performing, I can't recall ever speaking on the microphone.

Joe posted a piece done at one of his Nursing Home gigs.
He is an excellent musician, but far and away, the ability to connect with and entertain the residents of the facility (in this case) is far more important than superb musicianship.

The approach some would use for a Jazz Arts or Philharmonic job would result in an empty room in a very short period of time.

On the surface, Joe's musicianship was not the predominant feature of the performance, and that's the way it should be.

I have played myself out of a job multiple times; partially because I'm a "one trick pony". I would probably have been run out of the room Joe played, or have finished the job to an empty room.

I think jobs are divided into entertainment driven vs. musicianship driven efforts.

Lots of hardline musicians look down on entertainers and performers who either don't have the "chops" the hardcore folks have, or are simply smart enough not to "overplay".

Point is, there are places for "both camps" and we should all (especially me) appreciate people who do things differently.

Musicians and entertainers have traditionally not gotten along very well (maybe that's part of the reason for discord here).

Whether it's jealousy (frankly, good entertainers often make the most bread) or personality differences, there are compelling reasons to understand the differences and appreciate them.

That's my take on things.....SO THERE (LOL)!

Russ (future chicken hat owner?) Lay

#327586 - 06/28/11 01:21 PM Re: Reflectins on nursing home gigs... [Re: captain Russ]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
That why it's the rare entertainer(s) who can perform in any venue for anybody no matter the size of the audience. I'm trying to think back....mmmmm... musically I think Elvis was one of those rare breads who could entertain, sing rock and roll, or a ballad anytime, anywhere, anyplace in front of one, or a billion and one. I'm sure he would have been a hit in a nursing home, as well as Carnegie Hall. Kids of all ages from all over the World just loved the guy.

Only thing is, Elvis didn't talk very much while performing...he didn't have to.

I'm sure there are many others. Currently?

Thank You, Thank You Very Much

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#327604 - 06/28/11 04:07 PM Re: Reflectins on nursing home gigs... [Re: lahawk]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Larry, you're right. Elvis was not much of a musician ( not a good guitar player at all...great singer, though)...didn't have to be.

Great entertainer. I didn't like him at all, but I think that we because I assumed he got all the best looking girls.

Russ (Elvis envy) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (06/28/11 04:21 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online