SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#319772 - 03/21/11 10:24 AM Need Help w/Korg PA80
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Hello everyone,

I buddy of mine has a Pa80. He broke the l/mono output and now only has the right. I noticed that the keyboard also has 1 & 2 output. Can those be converted to L/mono?

We opened the cover to take a peak it looks like a complicated fix, since the output is soldered to the mother board. Not sure if it would be worth to fix.

thanks for the help.....

#319892 - 03/22/11 04:35 PM Re: Need Help w/Korg PA80 [Re: mc]
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Anyone??

Any PA80 owners or past owners?

I read in the manual that outputs 1 &2 can be used for effects and/or vocal but nothing with l & R outputs.

#319894 - 03/22/11 04:43 PM Re: Need Help w/Korg PA80 [Re: mc]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hi MC,

I dont have any answer for you but in case you cant get a response from someone here, I reccomend you to try and post this request on http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/

lots of highly knowledgeable Korg users over there who might have experienced your issue before.

good luck
Nick

Edited by Nick G (03/22/11 04:44 PM)

#319896 - 03/22/11 04:57 PM Re: Need Help w/Korg PA80 [Re: mc]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I had to replace the audio out board in my PA2x ages and ages ago after a drunk dancer knocked the 1/4 inch jacks and broke the outs. (I use right angle connectors now wink )

My STRONG recommendation would be to replace the main audio board. They are tricky to remove, but not difficult if you take your time. And the part should still be available.

Theoretically you COULD hotwire from the Main Outs tracks to the 1/2 outs tracks, but you STILL need to remove the card to do so , as these are on the underneath side. You would need a good quality multi to isolate the tracks you need, as they are not obvious.

If it is just the actual socket that is broken, again with the board removed from the keyboard, you can replace JUST the sockets. Again, tricky, but not all that difficult if you are handy with a soldering tool, and de-solder techniques.

I had to do a full replacement as my board was cracked as well..

If you need further info, as Nick suggested, get on over to the KOrg forums.

Dennis

#319969 - 03/23/11 03:26 PM Re: Need Help w/Korg PA80 [Re: mc]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The extra outputs on the PA80 can be assigned to any part you want, but it will not pass through the effects. They will be dry. Maybe an alternate setup could be to use the headphone output? That will be a hot signal, but if balanced properly at the mixer, you can get a nice tone usually. Every DX7 owner I ever knew used the hp out .. it added a bit of warmth to the (then new) digital sound.

#319988 - 03/23/11 06:22 PM Re: Need Help w/Korg PA80 [Re: mc]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I think he knows that Dave, as do I , quite well....I am talking about a re-routing of the main outs signal, on the actual circuit board. This could be achieved by soldering bridging wires from the main outs circuit to the 1/2 outs circuit.

But as I said I would strongly recommend against it.

Essentially a "piggy-back" sort of thing..Unless you are into electronics you possible may not get what I mean. NO offence intended, as I do not know your skills set smile

The Korg headphone out does not lend itself too nicely to running into a desk. The only way is to run it into the TAPE IN/OUT RCA jacks (if the desk has them) these are setup for the type of high impedance signal from headphone stereo jacks.

Dennis

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online