SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#317046 - 02/20/11 08:39 AM "Life after the band" update....
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
As many of you know, I'd ended my relationship with my band of 11 years this recent NYE. To review briefly, the band had grown stagnant, wouldn't/couldn't rehearse and seemed too comfy with both issues. To a man, they think I'm crazy for having ended a "good thing" even though we drew pretty good crowds, and left gigs on table.

I also said goodbye to my duo partner, a sax/clari/flute player who'd worked with me for over 12 years.

I'd expected it to work fine at the few remaining accounts that I hadn't already turned into solos. Of note were a very large VFW in Dayton and a private dinner/dance club.

1) The dinner/dance club has decided to go a different direction. I'm disappointed by this because the decision was not one (I'm told) based on quality. They simply insist on a band vs. a solo performer. Many of the club are very familiar with my work and have even hired me for other private functions, but the board decided they wanted a band, and as I no longer had one...I'm out...

(For now...We'll see how the attendance and the new bands all do. I have a hunch there's a chance they may reconsider in a year or two...)

2) The large VFW...the most important account to me bar none concerned me at first because they too, in general agreed with my bandmates. Why in the world would I end something so good? After my first solo performance in January, 3 different parties approached me and said they were wrong in how they thought it would be. They admitted it was very good and that they'd be returning...with friends...Last night I played there again and the staff told me it was the largest crowd they'd seen for anybody in 3 years or so. Every table was filled and I couldn't see the other end of the dance floor. Last month the Commander complimented me, this month the 2nd Vice (guy who actually books me) said he'd heard good things about January and that I had nothing to worry about...

I'm not sharing this so much as to toot my own horn, but rather its been really interesting to see how two different groups, both of whom had reservations about me ending the band handled this. One group understood that the band was stagnant but trusted me enough to give me monthly dates strictly on my personal reputation and belief that I'd be ok. (This club has never used a solo...ever, until me...) Last night, there was even talk about having me get the prized NYE gig, which would be fun...(Yes, it would be affirming that my hunch was correct as to how I would do on my own in this club.)

Contrast this with the other private dance club. This club is a group of retired judges, attorneys, politicians, real estate and high end business executives. I KNOW I could handle their dances. But I won't even get a chance because they're fixated on "having a band..."

Its odd and something I don't really claim to fully understand. They said they were afraid what might happen if something happened to me, which is reasonable, but doesn't seem to totally explain it.

The different ways each group handled my ending the band has been really interesting to watch...

Edited by Bill in Dayton (02/20/11 08:40 AM)

#317052 - 02/20/11 08:57 AM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill, it happens a lot, both ways.
I had played the Elk's Club here for 15 years or so as a SINGLE. A few years back, they got a new entertainment guy and all of a sudden they had to have a "whole band".
They got a series of them, mostly bad. Crowds fell off, members called me saying come back. I told them it wasn't my decision.
They finally called me to come back, but wanted me to cut my price by 75 percent, because they could get a "whole band" for what I was charging. Needless to say, I haven't been back. Now they have stopped entertainment completely except for a few special occasions.
Same thing happened at one of the VFWs; after having me once a month at their weekly dance for many years, they hired a duo who stunk up the place. Then they decided it was because they didn't have at least four pieces. I still do a few private parties there and the place never fails to fill up. Still they only hire "whole bands" for their weekly dances.
I don't really care; just relating that it's usually one person or a small committee who makes the decision and often it's based on wrong information or personal friends in the "whole band".
Of course, I've taken many jobs from those same bands at other venues, including the one where I have primarily played for most of the past 20 years, and yes, I make as much as the "whole bands" did.
Sounds like you're doing just fine, and getting keep ALL the money. Great, isn't it?
DonM

#317078 - 02/20/11 11:46 AM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
You're right, Don...

Reading your post reminded me of two things...

1) There's an Athletic Club in Dayton that used to have bi-weekly live music. They'd get a decent turnout. Then the Commander was changed, the new guy decided to go all bluegrass.

Epic fail? Yuppers...

2) Those of us that do retirement communities have seen this. One AD covers her regular entertainment with a stable of 4-5 of her most popular, effective entertainers. Then she is replaced for whatever reason by a new AD who wants "variety.'

A policy of "...no entertainer shall perform more than once in a 12 month period for any reason" is usually a disaster waiting to happen. There are some really shitty performers out there who the residents don't like. Once you shake the residents trust in their entertainment, turnout and participation drops and the AD wonders why, lol...

------------------------------------

Yes, I do like keeping all the money, lol...More important, I feel great driving home from this club for the 1st time in a while. Its a great feeling...

Edited by Bill in Dayton (02/20/11 11:47 AM)

#317081 - 02/20/11 12:09 PM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I don't fault AD's or Entertainment Directors for booking variety...but the smart ones will take advantage of the following their entertainers' have and book them in some kind of a regular pattern...like once or twice a month. It is difficult to maintain a following if the time between engagements is too long.

That is not true for Willie Nelson. He's been here twice in two years and sold out a 1200 seat theater both times. But...he is Willie and I ain't. grin

If Gary Diamond doesn't play one of his venues at least once a month, the residents go on a hunger strike and picket the hallways....or so I have heard.

Eddie

#317097 - 02/20/11 02:27 PM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: btweengigs]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: btweengigs
If Gary Diamond doesn't play one of his venues at least once a month, the residents go on a hunger strike and picket the hallways....or so I have heard.

Eddie

They don't go on hunger strikes or pickets, but the AD might be looking for another way to make a living if I don't show up once, or sometimes, twice a month.

I had a similar experience to DonM with the Havre de Grace, MD American Legion. I played there every Friday night for 6 years. Never missed a night in all that time, even when the weather was really nasty. Most Friday nights were packed to capacity, and so was the dance floor. They elected a new board the last year I was there, brought in some younger blood. Next thing you know I'm out, and so is the club manager. The new guys in town decided to bring in DJs, Karaoke and some 3-piece jazz trios. Attendance dropped from 80 to 100 on Friday nights to a dozen drunks and no dancers. The pay back then, for me at least, was $175 for 4 hours.

A few months ago I decided to stop in and see the Friday night entertainment. There wasn't any. The club was loosing money, no one, other than a few bar flies, was in the place and the bar maid looked like she was falling asleep. When she came over to take my drink order, she said "Hey, aren't you the guy that played music here about 5 years ago on Friday nights?" I said I was and she immediately asked if I would be available on Friday nights anytime soon. I told her that they couldn't afford me. She said "We pay a lot more now. When we do have entertainers the pay is $200." I smiled and responded "Like I said, you can't afford me." I gave her a card, the manager called and I quoted him a price of $300 for 4 hours. I haven't heard from them since.

Bill, I sincerely believe that you will make a lot more money as a single, and have a lot less grief.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#317099 - 02/20/11 02:55 PM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I suppose that, perhaps a little depends on your bandmates' response to your decision to go solo...

You seem a little put out by some venues preferring to remain with a full band. Now imagine if your sax player, or guitarist, or singers went out, got themselves a bunch of high quality backing tracks, and started to compete with you for even the solo gigs (that you are now offering as a cheaper alternative to clubs that DID used to book the whole band) that you now enjoy sole access to...

How would you feel about THEM perhaps taking jobs away from you? Would you still be 'blaming' the venues for not choosing your solo act, if they had others they were familiar with to choose from..?

Breaking apart a band, and then going after the same gigs as a solo has all kinds of ethical questions and possible outcomes...

#317101 - 02/20/11 03:13 PM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Bill, I sincerely believe that you will make a lot more money as a single, and have a lot less grief.

Gary cool

You know Gary, one time I played at home for fun, and gigged with another bunch of musicians to make a living...a good one at that.

Now, it's the complete opposite.

Now, I play in a little 4-5 piece group purely for fun, and I gig solo to make my living...and a pretty good one it is as well.

Ian

#317104 - 02/20/11 03:36 PM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Diki Offline

I'll take that grief any day, as long as it is tied to working with musicians that play better than an arranger...

They DO exist, you know! wink

#317107 - 02/20/11 03:46 PM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I believe we have been down this road before - not that it isn't interesting - but as I recall I think the biggest problem voiced by most of the players here - aside from the $$$ issues - is finding good players who are reliable, sober, willing to work at their craft, and appreciative of the other band members. And even though the players may play better than an arranger, many are not willing to put up with the grief ...
I, for one, had a GREAT 26 years with the guys in the band in NY ... I KNOW I could never have that again ...

#317108 - 02/20/11 03:48 PM Re: "Life after the band" update.... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Diki Offline

Well, of course, WE are all perfect, and it's ONLY the other musicians that have issues, eh?! wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online