SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#315523 - 02/06/11 03:28 PM Example of an Arranger playing style problem..
Dnj Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giHvWl67Jdk

While listening to this Tyros version of Moonlight Serenade Which is played very well....BUT, and I see this alot, throughout the whole song not once does the lead sound ever change making for a very boring, monotonous listening experience....with all the great sound opportunities to use ....I would have definitly like to have heard some patch changes here and there just as a real Big Band would have done, the OTS buttons are right above his fingers!... especially in a classic song like this......just my observations.
This song screams for other sounds in certain parts.

Edited by Dnj (02/06/11 03:56 PM)

#315531 - 02/06/11 05:56 PM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

25 views not one comment so I guess everyone here thinks using one sound all the way thru a song is ok?.....why cant we have a normal discussion on technique?

Edited by Dnj (02/06/11 05:56 PM)

#315532 - 02/06/11 06:12 PM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Donny,
I agre with you he shold make a couple changes during the song. Switching to a different brass section like the original Glem Miller version would work. Ot maybe a sax ensemble. Or just muted brass.

I think it's always good to listen to several renditions of the song...then do what trips your trigger!

I think the reason everyone has been OK with his performance is: That Brass sound is super!

#315533 - 02/06/11 06:19 PM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Dnj]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
tazDNJ, hi there, tend to thing it is a bit subjective. If you just and some simple dance music or elevator music then, this piece is played ok. But, for the listener to really enjoy it , there needs to be more dynamics put into it. I am not trying to take away from his playing - which is ..... well nice, but like you said - boring.

#315535 - 02/06/11 06:43 PM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

His playing is fine.....I agree with you both that not only in this song but playing songs in general with an arranger KB people tend to use too much piano, or use the wrong sound to emulate a vocal instrumental melody line. To some it could be to distracting to make changes throwing off their timing, or maybe they just don't realize what happening and just have to concentrate on reading the music, etc, etc, ...creativeness when playing a song is what an arranger KB is all about & it makes it fun for the player to experiment and for the listener in the audience to enjoy the song listening experience a bit more. three voice pads or searing solos instruments sounds can really make someone take notice during a song, it also shows the players artistic ability also. With so much power to create it should be utilized a bit more to show off what the Kb & player can offer.

#315537 - 02/06/11 07:05 PM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Dnj]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
tazDNJ, Agree, but it also depends on the experience and ability the player has , not just one of the best (in its day) KB under their hands.
Maybe he just needs to relax and be encouraged to put more of himself into the music and not just play the notes. He did mention that he changed a couple of the chords to suit himself though.

Allan

#315541 - 02/06/11 07:32 PM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: tassiespirit]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tassiespirit
tazDNJ, Agree, but it also depends on the experience and ability the player has , not just one of the best (in its day) KB under their hands.
Maybe he just needs to relax and be encouraged to put more of himself into the music and not just play the notes. He did mention that he changed a couple of the chords to suit himself though.
Allan

Allan this was the point of my post originally...to bring things like this up so that other can be aware and maybe try to be creative, ad-lib, or just try to make the music more interesting then just what the music chart indicates. Experiment and make songs your own in any way you can. There are many crayons in the box with many colors use them all to make a beautiful picture. smile

#315543 - 02/06/11 07:37 PM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny,

You're right--it was well played and boring as Hell!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#315548 - 02/06/11 08:24 PM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I would like to hear a few of the members here post this song the way they play it. I would probably play it kind of like he did, with maybe a change is sound at a couple points.
But, I would like to learn from the top players here.

#315589 - 02/07/11 08:45 AM Re: Example of an Arranger playing style problem.. [Re: Dnj]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
To me it looks / sounds like it's played stright from sheet. Many times we see the players are so focused into the paper / sheet that everything gets a bit "mechanical" and liveless.
Also it may feel a bit boring or uninspired when they don't find time to do some instrumental variations and put some personal feelings into it.
Usually that's going to loose up and get better the more secure the player feels after some repeats of the song.

Keep on Rockin'
organ

Cheers
GJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online