SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#315338 - 02/05/11 12:32 PM I'm waiting for the Roland BK-7m: Backing Module
Dnj Offline

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1141&ParentId=20

This Roland BK7m module with a nice lightweight controller 61 or 76 could be a great OMB setup...can't wait to try one soon.

Then just add the Roland VP7 Vocal processor...

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1062&ParentId=20

#315377 - 02/05/11 06:50 PM Re: I'm waiting for the Roland BK-7m: Backing Module [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Donny,
Yes it could be super...when do they ship?

#315378 - 02/05/11 06:53 PM Re: I'm waiting for the Roland BK-7m: Backing Module [Re: leeboy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: leeboy
Donny,
Yes it could be super...when do they ship?

I heard in April?

#315380 - 02/05/11 06:58 PM Re: I'm waiting for the Roland BK-7m: Backing Module [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida

#315388 - 02/05/11 07:35 PM Re: I'm waiting for the Roland BK-7m: Backing Module [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?.....very interesting Diki thanx for the heads up.....I too would love to know what these styles are like ....rehashed gw/prelude or something new.
I hope we know somthing soon.

#315391 - 02/05/11 07:50 PM Re: I'm waiting for the Roland BK-7m: Backing Module [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Thing that strikes me about this is, with only clocking together, you might be able to create a Yamaha/Roland hybrid by running the BK from the PSR. Just send the NTA channel from the PSR to the BK (I think you can mute its reception of other MIDI channels in the MIDI set).

That way, you can mix and match styles together, and have certain Parts from one style play one unit, certain on the other. You'd have to tap dance a BIT to get them to do fills and Variation changes at the same time, but sometimes, that might not be what you want! Think of it as maybe an external Multipad on steroids!

Life would be SO MUCH simpler if there were a standardized set of codes for MIDI arranger operation. Basically, if ONLY Fills, Variations, Breaks and On Bass were standardized (start/stop already are) that would be enough to run most setups (a standard code for transpose value would be nice, too). I talked to Steve Demming about it, but he said that very little interest had been shown in that, and until users start clamoring for it, it's unlikely the manufacturers would be willing to sit down with each other.

But with the BK, and Audya modules out now, and who knows, maybe a few others following (if the BK takes off), more arranger users will start to see the importance of this.

Quite honestly, if you COULD link together two or three MOTL arranger units, I believe you would end up with something that sounds MUCH better than any one TOTL piece of gear. The strengths of each line would mitigate the weaknesses of the others...

But, you want this vision to come true, you have to ask for the features that will make it possible.

And, I imagine, as in ALL new arrangers, that the styles in the BK will be a combination of some new, some rehashed and reworked, and some from other, older arrangers (E80, G70, etc.). As it always is... smile

#315397 - 02/05/11 08:12 PM Re: I'm waiting for the Roland BK-7m: Backing Module [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Thing that strikes me about this is, with only clocking together, you might be able to create a Yamaha/Roland hybrid by running the BK from the PSR. Just send the NTA channel from the PSR to the BK (I think you can mute its reception of other MIDI channels in the MIDI set).

That way, you can mix and match styles together, and have certain Parts from one style play one unit, certain on the other. You'd have to tap dance a BIT to get them to do fills and Variation changes at the same time, but sometimes, that might not be what you want! Think of it as maybe an external Multipad on steroids!

Life would be SO MUCH simpler if there were a standardized set of codes for MIDI arranger operation. Basically, if ONLY Fills, Variations, Breaks and On Bass were standardized (start/stop already are) that would be enough to run most setups (a standard code for transpose value would be nice, too). I talked to Steve Demming about it, but he said that very little interest had been shown in that, and until users start clamoring for it, it's unlikely the manufacturers would be willing to sit down with each other.

But with the BK, and Audya modules out now, and who knows, maybe a few others following (if the BK takes off), more arranger users will start to see the importance of this.

Quite honestly, if you COULD link together two or three MOTL arranger units, I believe you would end up with something that sounds MUCH better than any one TOTL piece of gear. The strengths of each line would mitigate the weaknesses of the others...

But, you want this vision to come true, you have to ask for the features that will make it possible.

And, I imagine, as in ALL new arrangers, that the styles in the BK will be a combination of some new, some rehashed and reworked, and some from other, older arrangers (E80, G70, etc.). As it always is... smile

This is all bringing me back to my KORG M1 synth/Roland RA90 module days....made some great music with that combo.

#315411 - 02/05/11 09:12 PM Re: I'm waiting for the Roland BK-7m: Backing Module [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I used to have my RA & I5m modules midied to my Disklavier piano. It was anawesome combination for full piano mode.
An acoustic piano trigerring midi styles.

Can't wait to see the BK-7m, unfortunately I no longer have the Disklavier, but it will still come in handy for my Clavinova.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#315413 - 02/05/11 09:14 PM Re: I'm waiting for the Roland BK-7m: Backing Module [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
This is all bringing me back to my KORG M1 synth/Roland RA90 module days....made some great music with that combo.

Exactly... I used to run an RA90 with some Ensoniq gear (SQ2, couple of Mirage's, ESQ1) and, for it's time, it was great. I still haven't figured out why modules went away.

I'm just glad they are back. Hope it's to stay.

You know, if what the Serbian guy said about the BK is true, that's the deal of the century! An E80 quality arranger that plays MP3's (with tempo and pitch adjustment, which I think the E80 doesn't do), a video out for lyric and chord display, Style and Song Cover Tools and Makeup Tools, all for about a grand...?

Amazing!

#315435 - 02/05/11 10:25 PM Re: I'm waiting for the Roland BK-7m: Backing Module [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

You know, if what the Serbian guy said about the BK is true, that's the deal of the century! An E80 quality arranger that plays MP3's (with tempo and pitch adjustment, which I think the E80 doesn't do), a video out for lyric and chord display, Style and Song Cover Tools and Makeup Tools, all for about a grand...?

Amazing!

Looks like a great rig...I had an RA-50, and later, an RA-90...used them with my old(and heavy) portabilized Yamaha CLP-300 Clavinova.

That BK-7m wouldn't be out of place on a Tyros4 either...

Certainly, those with Yamaha P-85 and NP-30 would be able to tap into the BK-7m as well, as they have dedicated MIDI ports, and even though pitch/mod wheels aren't on these instruments (or many other lightweight digital pianos from Roland, Korg etc.) I wonder if the pitch bend/modulation could be controlled by pedals inserted in the BK-7m?

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online