SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#299278 - 11/13/10 12:12 AM (Attention tech heads) Using a Synth as a sound engine for an arranger
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I have recently hooked up my PSR S910 to my Motif XF via Midi cable.

The PSR S910 transmits signals to the Motif and triggers off Motif Voices for each of the 8 style parts as well as the UPPER, LOWER, and Multipad parts. everything works great!!

So I pretty much have an arranger using a full synth sound engine!

First I will explain what I am doing and then ill ask my question just to make things clearer...

Using the MIDI settings in the PSR here is what the mapping looks like:

1 RIGHT 1
2 RIGHT 2
3 LEFT
4 NOTHING
5 MultiPad 1
6 Multipad 2
7 Multipad 3
8 Multipad 4
9 RHY1
10 RHM2
11 BASS
12 CHD1
13 CHD2
14 PAD
15 PHR1
16 PHR2

In the Motif I go into SONG mode which brings up my 16 Midi Tracks and I allocate the correct voices to each track.

I have the PSR S910 set so that it does not transmit any program changes. (voice/patch changes)

So at the moment the voices I have selected on the PSR S910 are completely irrelevent dont mean anything - its all set up on the Motif. what this means is that for each registration I need to create a seperate 16 track midi voice set in a new SONG on the Motif.

so for exaample I have 1 SONG saved in the Motif which has my sound set for 1 style and 1 OTS on the PSR.

What I want to do is create custom sounds on the PSR and configure them so that they trigger a particular midi bank and patch number...

so basically I can have OTS configurations that trigger different different voices on the Motif while keping the MIDI Track the same...

heres an example:
OTS 1 - RIGHT 1 - Grand Piano
OTS 2 - RIGHT 1 - Jazz Guitar

at the moment I need to have Grand Piano on MIDI track 1 on the Motif. If i want to change the voice i hear from the RIGHT 1 i ned to change the voice mannually on Midi Track 1 on the Motif... makes things very slow and for real time changes its no good.

I am Guessing a PSR Keyboard from Yamaha (possibly even a Tyros) cannot allow you to configure a voice to trigger a particular midi bank/patch number...

Is there any other arranger on the market that can do this?

Thanks

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nick G (edited 11-13-2010).]

#299279 - 11/13/10 08:58 AM Re: (Attention tech heads) Using a Synth as a sound engine for an arranger
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Nick
Most TOTL/MOTL Arrangers can do this (Yamaha is I believe is one of the exceptions, although someone that plays Yamaha will be better informed on this) as they have dedicated Midi voice banks.
I believe the Korg PA800 is roughly at the PSR 910 price point, so this may be worthwhile having a look at.

Hope this helps

Bill

#299280 - 11/14/10 07:35 AM Re: (Attention tech heads) Using a Synth as a sound engine for an arranger
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Nope...can't setup Bank/PC for user voices in the Yamaha arrangers.
One reason I sold my T2 and got the PA2XPRO. I use sound modules/softsynthes and you can set Bank/PC for each user track.
There is an track cntrl. option for internal/both or external only per each track.

These track parms can be saved by performance, or by user style....so you can select eiter a song book entry, style, or prerformance and then by song...you can have different user sounds that send bank/pc to your other instruments.

when I originally tried to do this with my T2...I called Yamaha support to see how to do it/ask for a firmware change and they told me I didn't need to do this, it is a home kbd and all the sounds I could possible want are in there.

Lee S.

#299281 - 11/14/10 11:14 AM Re: (Attention tech heads) Using a Synth as a sound engine for an arranger
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I am pretty sure the G70 can do it as well.

#299282 - 11/14/10 01:19 PM Re: (Attention tech heads) Using a Synth as a sound engine for an arranger
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Nope...again. There are many like me and Lee that have being working on this. Yamaha will not allow you to do that, but Korg yes, even with the lowest model the Pa500, you can do that and more: you can assign every part of the style in external mode selecting the desired Program Change to use your Motif's sounds to play the 8 part style.

Victor

[This message has been edited by vagro (edited 11-14-2010).]

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#299283 - 11/14/10 04:48 PM Re: (Attention tech heads) Using a Synth as a sound engine for an arranger
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
I called Yamaha support to see how to do it/ask for a firmware change and they told me I didn't need to do this, it is a home kbd and all the sounds I could possible want are in there.

Lee S.

That just makes me want to cry!! I have nothing against Yamaha but a comment like that just makes them seem very "proud" and "one-way minded".

I used to own a Korg PA 800 but sadly enough I never even thought of the idea of adding a an external sound module or a Synth for additional sounds.
Now I am kicking myself!!

Still its to late to by a PA 800 in my opinion. I am going to wait for the next 61 note arranger models from Korg to come out as hopefully they are just around the corner!

I cant see myself buying another Yamaha Arranger for a long time.

Nick

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online