SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#298936 - 11/06/10 11:21 AM playing from memory
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I need to pull out the charts for the majority of the music that I play. I'd like to change that. Any tips on how to go about memorizing melodies, chords, and lyrics?

Thanks!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#298937 - 11/06/10 11:31 AM Re: playing from memory
Tony Hughes Offline

You need to start with a brand new brain that has not been used , I have no chance.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#298938 - 11/06/10 11:35 AM Re: playing from memory
Dnj Offline

I use no charts at all anymore....I weened myself off of them many years ago....the only way is to go song by song and just play them overt and over again without the music....repetition is success to alleviating using the charts as a crutch....it will free you up to enjoy playing, ad libbing & letting creating as you play & sing much more.....it looks so much more professional also.

Try some exercises also like :

1- Blindfold yourself and play the songs let your fingers be your eyes.....

2- have someone "talk to you while your playing" this will teach you to play effortlessly without "thinking" about what your hands are doing.

3- If your a singer also.....memorize the lyrics as well while your playing, smiling, & making eye contact with the audience..nothing worse for an audience then looking at a player on stage with his head down in the book thruout the whole song..

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-06-2010).]

#298939 - 11/06/10 11:54 AM Re: playing from memory
Dusan Offline

Loc: Slovenija
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
You need to start with a brand new brain that has not been used , I have no chance.

I agree with you Tony and I allso haw no chance.I am player by ear(cos I can handlet with musical notation and chords),but when I must learn some dificult song then usulay record that song on CD and put CD to my car radio.Then I listen that song 100 of times and try to sing.(that is a good way, cos nobady can hear me).
After that kinde of learning I try to play and sing with my kayboard.Almost allways I am setisfie.(dont know if listeners setisfie to...)

[This message has been edited by Dusan (edited 11-06-2010).]

#298940 - 11/06/10 12:08 PM Re: playing from memory
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dusan:
I agree with you Tony and I allso haw no chance.I am player by ear(cos I can handlet with musical notation and chords),but when I must learn some dificult song then usulay record that song on CD and put CD to my car radio.Then I listen that song 100 of times and try to sing.(that is a good way, cos nobady can hear me).
After that kinde of learning I try to play and sing with my kayboard.Almost allways I am setisfie.(dont know if listeners setisfie to...)

[This message has been edited by Dusan (edited 11-06-2010).]

Dusan.......CONFIDENCE is also a key factor.....never doubt yourself!

#298941 - 11/06/10 12:36 PM Re: playing from memory
Dusan Offline

Loc: Slovenija
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Dusan.......CONFIDENCE is also a key factor.....never doubt yourself!

Yes Dnj,I forget about that point...you are right.

#298942 - 11/06/10 12:48 PM Re: playing from memory
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have a few thoughts on this...I too relied on the charts..a comfort zone..I started out with a band when I was just out of high school..a 5 piece band that consisted of old guys over 40..and me 17-18..They had charts for all the tunes..I got use to using them..and in fact even in my earlier years I used fake books...I can still recall the standards in the original keys ..I swear I can visualize the printed fake book version after all the years of playing from fake books..

Here is a tip, from my experience...The year was 1990, the month July...I traveled to a regular gig with my young lady vocalist..Carol..Set up ready to start playing and NO Music book...The book with all my arrangements...In this time..I played everything live with several different keyboards...

You know what..it didn't matter..we played the gig just as always..the charts were crutches..and the truth you already know the songs...when you are forced to play without the charts you too will realize you can play without charts..

The second part of this experience..you already know chord progressions,,and you can hear what the music is doing and where it needs to go...The exercise of playing this way will develop your ear to fingers...and I promise you ..you will feel just as comfortable after a short time..and you will enjoy the gigs more..

You will also find out..you don't mind "winging" tunes..and will have a lot of fun...

My days back then were more enjoyable..I had partners ..that were professional "minded"...and were willing and capable to perform tunes off the cuff..

Today, not so much..the singers are the type that want to sound like the record, and "need" sequenced material to perform..

My current band included..

Thankfully there are still some of my girls that can handle both..adlib live and sequenced tunes too...

If you want to learn to play without the charts...Go to your next gig without the books....and say now what?..You may be pleasantly surprised..under pressure..you already can play..

#298943 - 11/06/10 03:42 PM Re: playing from memory
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fran is right. I, too use some "cheat materials" for songs I'm not sure of. thing is, some of the little cards I use are now so yellow I can't read some of the notations.

I need to throw those cards away, and I'm sure I'd be fine. 99% of my material is played on the fly-often with a modulation, just to cut the boredom.

Also, I can't think too much about the lyrics. I will play two jobs tonight without thinking about the lyrics, but, if I sat down right now to write out the lyrics on most of my stuff, I'd run into a problem.

Confidence and repetition work!

(Either that, or wild-assed blind luck!)

Good luck!

Russ

(Lyrics for "For the Good Times"...."Don't Look So Sad, I know you're pregnant...". Or "Among My Souvenirs"..."There's Nothing Left of Me....Since My Hysterectomy"(Best sung by female vocalists)! I Know MILLIONS of them LOL!

#298944 - 11/06/10 06:19 PM Re: playing from memory
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by montunoman:
I need to pull out the charts for the majority of the music that I play. I'd like to change that. Any tips on how to go about memorizing melodies, chords, and lyrics?

Thanks!

I share your frustration Montunoman. I've been trying to get this memorization thing down using suggestions from Donny and others for a few years. I remember Fran's story from a few years ago he related attempt to give me some assistance memorizing tunes. . Maybe my efforts have been half hearted, ARRGGH I still need the charts. I'll be the first to admit I get disgusted when it doesn't come together as quickly as I would like. But at 58 working a full time job, gigging part-time, family responsibilities I run out of steam at 9 or 10 PM when trying to memorize. Amazing thing is that when I studied piano late teen early 20s, there's some tunes I memorized from repetition and can play them piano solo style with my eyes closed, no charts, no sheet music.

I have been reading this book on piano studies that contains some helpful hints on memorization you can download it for free. So I haven't given up just get frustrated with it.

Downloadable Piano Practice Book

You may also want to do a Google search for musicians memorization tricks.

Tips on How to Memorize Music by Robert Kelly

For me there's memorizing lyrics is not too difficult, I do that part during some of my daily commute to the day job.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 11-06-2010).]

#298945 - 11/06/10 09:21 PM Re: playing from memory
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Memorization is not so much developing your "memory" but more like using "mind tricks."

First, and foremost, learn your "cycle of fifths" and you'll learn more than half of your songs overnight.

Practice simple songs in different keys until you get used to hearing the "chord changes" in your head. Example: Five, Foot, Two...All of Me...You're Nobody, etc. They move in "fifths" and in both songs the first measure root chord moves to the third (E7). This happens in many songs before the cycle of fifths kicks in. Also, the interval C to A7...a very important jump. It doesn't take long to recognize that change in many songs. Example: Ja-da, So What's New, etc. All accordionists are a step ahead on this as the left hand buttons move in fifths.

I have success with the following. Take a "stack" of songs you want to learn and put them in groups of 5. Go over one group until you've memorized the songs maybe 50-75%. Put that group to the side and start on the next group and do the same thing. When you've finished ALL the groups, start again with the first group, and learn each one maybe 75-85% (it will be easier this time around). Keep going through the cycles until "it comes easy" with each song.

It will, as that's the way the mind works. NOT by memorizing in one sitting but by steps with breaks in between. I've memorized hundreds of songs with these techniques, plus other "tricks" I've had to discover.

Lucky

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online