SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#297940 - 10/28/10 05:47 AM Tyros4 Polyphony is Terrible!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

#297941 - 10/28/10 05:54 AM Re: Tyros4 Polyphony is Terrible!
Dnj Offline

"I am tonight sat at the new Tyros 4 playing and working my way through the big sounds that this keyboard is supposed of offer. As the evening as progressed one MAJOR thing I have found with Tyros 4 is problems with polyphony - big problems!
For example, if I choose the VocalFoxtrot style from the Ballroom style section and then try to play a right hand chord with the notes D F G Bb and D - the keyboards backing vocals just vanish.

And this is apparent on other styles too!

The more you play this keyboard the more you find that anyone who can play block chords in the style or organ or big band suddenly hits a stumbling block and a big one. WHY after just 48 hours am I finding this. Surely Yamaha would have played this keyboard before releasing it? Wouldn’t they?

As they consult more and more amateur players for their design input they are forgetting those who actually want to play these instruments and not just sit button pushing as part of their retirement. After spending the best part of £3500 for a keyboard, this has to be a very annoying lack of detail from Yamaha. If you are going to create a keyboard that gives you complex backing, then at least make sure the keyboard can handle it.

As we work through our Tyros 4 in more detail we will keep you updated of the pros and cons of this instrument. It has to be said, at this point, this is the most annoying major issue that I have with this keyboard and am sure that other real players out there will experience this problem also.

Increase polyphony or cut back your styles - but don’t produce keyboards for mindless robots who just want a box to make their one finger playing sound good. Keep going down this route and we will have the X Factor of Keyboards! All looks and no talent."

#297942 - 10/28/10 05:57 AM Re: Tyros4 Polyphony is Terrible!
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
scottyee,

Read his other report as well.

http://www.jazzhooves.com/2010/10/tyros-4-the-review-you-have-been-waiting-for/

HE says, Best Keyboard in the World.

You can also read on other forums members who have proved his claim not to hold water
Gilbert

[This message has been edited by gilbert (edited 10-28-2010).]

[This message has been edited by gilbert (edited 10-28-2010).]

#297943 - 10/28/10 05:58 AM Re: Tyros4 Polyphony is Terrible!
Dnj Offline

Looks like again "USER ERROR" again as they should of demoed the unit well before they purchased to see if it was actually something that would fit their needs....
but obviously they get all hyped up, go spend their money say it's great then and then complain after the fact 48 hrs later.....so who is really at fault here?
The only one who is gonna makeout here is Ebay

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-28-2010).]

#297944 - 10/28/10 05:59 AM Re: Tyros4 Polyphony is Terrible!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

#297945 - 10/28/10 06:05 AM Re: Tyros4 Polyphony is Terrible!
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Here,HIS OTHER REPORT.

Well we flew to Germany and sat with a Tyros 4 for just 2 hours and what a superb 2 hours we had.

Yes, the instrument looks the same as Tyros 3 and for those of you who want a major upgrade from Tyros 3, you will be disappointed. Tyros 4 in my view is the keyboard that Tyros 3 should have been. More SA voices give this keyboard the ability to create a really powerful sound and the new vocal voices are what make this keyboard different.
Using vocal samples in the backing makes this new Tyros 4 pretty unique and fun to play.

Lots of new freeplay styles allow you to be more creative and kills that idea that every tyros player ultimately sounds the same as the next. Simply put, Tyros 4 allows you to be more creative and is much more of an orchestral instrument. There is a whole section of string freeplay patterns that allow you to play in a free orchestral style and I love them! If you are a single finger player with limited ability, then you will find these a little boring as you don’t have lots of parts covering up for you, but real musicians will find these styles a breath of fresh air!

AT LAST the dance section of the keyboard gets a big kick up the arse and the new dance styles now sound more relevant to today’s modern dance music. Big band section now has more umph and of course the use of vocal sounds is used throughout the keyboard.

The piano voice on the keyboard sounds more steinway and has a much more rich tone, and using the new speakers, the Tyros 4 seriously will annoy the neighbours. The depth of bass is heavier and having noticed that these speakers are used with the Yamaha digital drum kit, the overall tone is richer.

Guitars - wow. The guitar voices were already superb, but the new voices are just one step closer to god, they really are stunning. Strings - oh dear. Yamaha just cannot seem to get the idea that some musicians want hollywood style strings, not a cat scraping down a post. They are too harsh and having heard strings on other instruments, this is my biggest disappointment.

The new EURO organ section means that anyone who owns a wersi organ can sell up and move out they are SO GOOD! I never thought Yamaha could reproduce a really good set of euro organ sounds, but this new set of drawbars gives one hell of a sound.

Sold yet?… we haven’t finished yet.

Finally the drum sounds are the best thing yet. The brush samples in the big band section sound so realistic I kept waiting for the drummer to ask for a drink! They are uber real, wiping the floor with any other arranger keyboard.

Add the new MP3 capability and the new FLASH memory system, this keyboard is as of now the best keyboard in the world - yes I SAID WORLD. As a portable keyboard this is the best we have heard. Taking into account that I had access to instruments from Korg, Roland and many others, this is one superb instrument.

I’ve got mine on order and I would advise you do the same, these will sell like hot cakes and god help the man who comes between me and my Tyros 4!
Have we gone a little too far.. I don’t think so! Not far enough.

Gilbert

#297946 - 10/28/10 06:11 AM Re: Tyros4 Polyphony is Terrible!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... any other T4 owners have this problem?
t.

#297947 - 10/28/10 06:12 AM Re: Tyros4 Polyphony is Terrible!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

As the evening as progressed one MAJOR thing I have found with Tyros 4 is problems with polyphony - big problems!
For example, if I choose the VocalFoxtrot style from the Ballroom style section and then try to play a right hand chord with the notes D F G Bb and D - the keyboards backing vocals just vanish.

And this is apparent on other styles too!

The more you play this keyboard the more you find that anyone who can play block chords in the style or organ or big band suddenly hits a stumbling block and a big one. WHY after just 48 hours am I finding this. Surely Yamaha would have played this keyboard before releasing it? Wouldn’t they?

One Touch Settings generally mix three sounds with a harmony setting, especially on Big Band and Ballroom Styles, as well as Organ styles...they aren't intended for the player to play "block" RH chords, as the notes (chords) are already being played by the harmony.

In fact, if you play block chords, on any instrument with stacked voices and the harmony on, it sounds like mush...so why use this technique?

Ian

#297948 - 10/28/10 06:41 AM Re: Tyros4 Polyphony is Terrible!
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Remember, sustain can also have an effect on the polyphony useage.

Also the polyphony algorythems are different on different instruments. My Kurzweil K2600 only has 64 but, the way it is implememnted...you don't hear many complaints about running out. I never have.

128 seems like a lt, but in the right combinations you could defineltly run out.
You can prbably come up with a way to run out on any instrument. Heavy sequencing is one way.

Normal use on a T4, IMHO, I would not worry about it.

Lee S.

#297949 - 10/28/10 06:45 AM Re: Tyros4 Polyphony is Terrible!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I would not be surprised at all...Yamaha has had polyphony problems in the past..My experience with a PSR320..even though it was only 32 note polyphony..just muted all sounds for several seconds (unacceptable)..they needed voice allocation like even the 24 voice Sound canvas...

The other was the flagship 9000 Pro and PSR9000...they had 128 voice polyphony ( maybe it should have said elements)...but strings and piano with a hold pedal..produced poor drop out..without allocation (again)....

I thought Yamaha might have finally fixed this...but apparently not ..by this report..and I do believe the report...

Before the Yamaha supporters chime in..that it works for them...wouldn't you want an allocation system that sets priorities?

Put it in words that have condemned Audya...A big chunk of money..it should work as a top keyboard..

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online