SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#292633 - 09/10/10 08:00 AM Computer Help
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have a Win7 PC and two laptops. My PC has corrupted windows that has disabled it to go on line. This means a full reinstallation.

My question,is there any way to save my programs, like an exterior drive, which I have, to save downloading my many music programs again, when I wipe them out.

I know I can save data, and have, but don't think executable programs will work. I am only a medium level user, and would appreciate any advice you can give me.

In other words, what kind of data can I back up, and which require a full installation from scratch.

Bernie

#292634 - 09/10/10 08:34 AM Re: Computer Help
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Argh... bad luck.

Most programs are installed by running an installation executable. During the installation process, registry entries are set, files are saved to the "common files" folders (and other folders), folders for user setting files are created, hardware are detected and connected, etc.

This means that most often the program executable won't run (at least won't run properly) if the file is copied. It has to be properly installed.

Anyway you can try to copy and test. It might work, but chances are low. You can not harm your computer!

regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#292635 - 09/10/10 10:27 AM Re: Computer Help
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Bernie, wait for Abacus Bill to respond. he is a whiz at fixing computer problems and has helped me several times. His email addy is here in synthzone if he doesn't respond to this. You might be able to restore just the registry and recover from your problem,
Best regards,
Bebop

#292636 - 09/10/10 10:27 AM Re: Computer Help
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Bernie
Try Windows Restore before anything else; if this fails try below, unless it was a failed install in which case try re-installing the program that failed and then un-install it. (Most manufacture has an additional uninstaller on their website)

Just after the main boot screen appears press F8 and choose repair, you will then be given various options to repair, or re-install without losing any programs or data. (It is very seldom you would need to totally re-install Windows 7 afresh unless you decided to start hacking the registry)

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 09-10-2010).]

#292637 - 09/10/10 10:42 AM Re: Computer Help
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Please notice that I wrote my answer based at Bernies original sentence: "This means a full reinstallation".

If this NOT is the case, try the method Bill suggests.

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#292638 - 09/10/10 10:43 AM Re: Computer Help
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Bernie
Try Windows Restore before anything else; if this fails try below, unless it was a failed install in which case try re-installing the program that failed and then un-install it. (Most manufacture has an additional uninstaller on their website)

Just after the main boot screen appears press F8 and choose repair, you will then be given various options to repair, or re-install without losing any programs or data. (It is very seldom you would need to totally re-install Windows 7 afresh unless you decided to start hacking the registry)

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 09-10-2010).]

Also check for virusses first..

And make a data backup before repairing your stuff, as Bill says, repairing it should work most of the time, also if you have a Windows 7 install DVD there is another option to do a repair install, which also keeps your programs safe.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#292639 - 09/10/10 12:01 PM Re: Computer Help
Bernie9 Online   content

Thanks guys. These are good suggestions. I was told a full installation was necessary, by the factory tech, based on the failure to connect to the net after he made some changes. Actually,I got on after the changes,but when I closed the browser and tried again,it failed.

I am going to try a repair, as suggested. What have I got to lose ?

I'll keep you posted.

#292640 - 09/10/10 01:06 PM Re: Computer Help
Bernie9 Online   content

I am happily posting with my supposedly corrupted Win7 PC.

Thanks to you guys, I didn't pull the plug. System restore did the trick, and after rebooting, seems to act as intended.

You know, I thought it strange that a connectivity problem would necessitate such a drastic action, but thought the tech was a Diki of the computer world.

You guys saved me a load of grief.
Thanks
Bernie

#292641 - 09/10/10 05:29 PM Re: Computer Help
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
I am happily posting with my supposedly corrupted Win7 PC.

Thanks to you guys, I didn't pull the plug. System restore did the trick, and after rebooting, seems to act as intended.

You know, I thought it strange that a connectivity problem would necessitate such a drastic action, but thought the tech was a Diki of the computer world.

You guys saved me a load of grief.
Thanks
Bernie

If the tech told you such a drastic action and it was not needed, he probably was a tech that was a Diki of the computer world

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online