SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#291044 - 08/13/10 04:13 AM Do Back Up Often and Enough?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I'm a believer in you can never have too many back ups to your data files whether it's files for your arranger, photos or documents.

I usually have 3 back ups that I keep on separate 320 or 500 gig portable hard drives. One drive travels with me to and from my day job and the other remains in a fireproof lock up at my office the third is sitting on a shelf at home.

This past Tuesday I did my latest back up for files I use on my s910. I have 2 USB flash drives with the data on them, one stays in my keyboard case in case of failure on a gig. Yesterday I was at another arranger forum and copied hundreds of 3rd party styles then were transferring them to an Eagle Tec USB mini drive. I'm still not sure what happened(I do have an idea why) but most of my files disappeared and I was left only a few hundred 3rd party styles. I wasn't to happy especially since I have a gig later today, but with the back ups I have restored the drive that failed in a few minutes.......can't have too many back ups.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-13-2010).]

#291045 - 08/13/10 05:25 AM Re: Do Back Up Often and Enough?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I usually make a back-up any time I make a change. With some computer programs it's automatic, but with the keyboard you have to remember to do it. As you said, can't have too many backups!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#291046 - 08/13/10 06:33 AM Re: Do Back Up Often and Enough?
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Steve - Agreed! You never realize how precious a piece of data is til you need it and it's no where to be found!

What method do you use to do your backing up? Do you just do a "copy all" on your source drive to a folder on your PC or are you using a utility?

I need to do a few backups myself!

Have a great week! Is it coolihg off any up there?

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#291047 - 08/13/10 08:49 AM Re: Do Back Up Often and Enough?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I was considering a "back up"....but my wife said NO!!!

#291048 - 08/13/10 10:07 AM Re: Do Back Up Often and Enough?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Randy,

I pretty much just "copy all" to a source from a source drive. I do use to a limited degree a free version of "Carbonite" that allows up to 2 gigs but none of that data is gig related.

The humidity has broken here in the North East, perfect day to head to Newport. As soon as I finish the gig my wife and I are headed there.

Gary, great day for sailing here, once you get that larger craft you should point the bow north and come visit.

Fran, I don't think you're wife has to give you the OK for a "back up" that is at least judging from some of the photos you post

[

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-13-2010).]

#291049 - 08/14/10 12:21 AM Re: Do Back Up Often and Enough?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
It's like with the hard drive on your computer. It's not about IF your hard drive is going to fail ... it is about WHEN it is going to fail. Always assume your data is going to destruct ... because it WILL at some point in time.

#291050 - 08/14/10 12:32 AM Re: Do Back Up Often and Enough?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I always try to make monthly backups, since I am always fine tuning some of the stuff I program in my keyboards, I am always adding new styles and things.

A wise computer teacher I had in the Chicago area in 1981 or so....said, that there are basically 2 types of disk...."the ones that broke.....and the ones that WILL", does not matter if they are: Hard drive, USB Flash drive, floppy, etc.

Peace.

------------------
mdorantes

#291051 - 08/14/10 12:38 AM Re: Do Back Up Often and Enough?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPAcBwxcFCs

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#291052 - 08/14/10 03:55 AM Re: Do Back Up Often and Enough?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Funny this subject has came up because we have just had this problem at work. We had a company hired to do daily backups remotely over the Net, and the one time we need them to recall a file.... err... we are told that the file is unavailable.

Not accepting that as an answer we demanded that the supervisor would call us back with a full report on what happened. Basically the guy who handled our account would have upwards of 100 other accounts on this PC which were all automated on a schedule. He switched off his PC because he was away on 2 weeks holidays and so the schedule never kicked in during that time.

Needless to say this is totally unacceptable when the contract was for daily backups. I think our MD will actually sue them at this point because it was a Sage Accountancy file that was to be retrieved. Very important.

James

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online