SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#289973 - 07/07/10 07:59 AM my own KORG webpages
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Hello,

As from today I have put together a simple website with information about my programming on the Korg PA-500 and subsequently the Musical Resources that I have created. Now available in three formats for PA-500,PA-800 and PA-2X.

On page two I have added user comments and on page three there is a minor part of these new Resources that can be downloaded for free for folks to get a better idea of how things will sound in their own keyboard.
Of course the overall - 27 minute - demo can still be downloaded as well.
Here is the link to my website:
http://pasounds.intropagina.nl/

#289974 - 07/07/10 10:26 AM Re: my own KORG webpages
Dnj Offline

John very nice well done.....
good luck with your new website..

#289975 - 07/14/10 11:10 PM Re: my own KORG webpages
john smies Offline

Donny,

In one of your earlier comments you turned out to be so right about the risky road of offering my new software as Shareware. After only two weeks I retracted my offer and I must say that compared to ten years ago I have become very disappointed in the way things go in the keyboard world.
First of all there remains a never ending lust for more and more styles, whereas most of us have several thousands of them ready at hand. I know as to myself I have virtually every still you could possibly have for the KORG PA, including all conversions of the other major brands.
Then there is the continued disdain for proper "registration " programming, performances as they are called with Korg, user programs with Roland, etc.etc.
As you know I was busy for months on my new Korg PA-500 to improve these total registration settings, in which I succeeded for myself and for others. (As you can read in the testimonials on my webpages). However, it turns out that 95% if not more of those interested in my software are unwilling to pay for my efforts in any way.
Apparently there is so much to be had for free from the internet, that they almost consider it rude to even consider asking a small amount of money for all of the work you have invested in it. (in my case well over 100 hours really).
I guess it simply means that even less people will feel inclined to program on their keyboards. In my experiences nearly 100% of home keyboard players do not get beyond the internal registrations, and count their blessings with the numerous settings that they encounter in the Songbook of the keyboard, or whatever it is called. Thousands of registrations scraped together at the final analysis by merely combining a factory style preset, and four factory sound presets for the right hand. Amazing really, cause the (semi) professionals here on the forum do know that those are only for starters and that proper registrations need a lot of tweaking and hard work. Which pays off in the end cause it turns your keyboard into an instrument twice, three times as good as when out-of-the-box.
Anyway, I like my Korg PA-500 and hope I can soon update to the PA-800.
And I hope that one day musicians all over the wordl will come to appreciate quality over quantity, which nowadays is almost equivalent to "registration over style "!!!!

John
Holland.

webpages:http://pasounds.intropagina.nl/

#289976 - 07/15/10 05:57 AM Re: my own KORG webpages
Dnj Offline

John dont feel bad...you tried to do a good thing for the Korg community......economic issues combined with all you say above in your post is all true. Styles & setups are a very personal thing, what sounds good to one person, is totally different for the next. With the ever changing technology people have different perspectives on what sounds good to them. Gig Discs, Regi Sticks etc, etc, all a personal thing that frankly I wouldn't use for my music, but some could possibly enjoy. Bottom line is your did good and in the future I wish you good luck in your music as I have been a fan of your Music for years....Carry On!!

D.

#289977 - 07/15/10 06:42 AM Re: my own KORG webpages
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Dnj,
Ditto to your reply,I have used johns work from way back and know the Quality he produces,
Unfortunately I still have only my old trusty Pa 50 Therefore cant take advantage of his new work.I can really understand how frustrating it must be for him and wish him only eventual success.
Gilbert.

#289978 - 07/16/10 01:27 AM Re: my own KORG webpages
john smies Offline

Thank you guys for your support. I know that you Donny are still in raptures about your Tyros 3 and that Gilbert on the other hand is quite content with his Yamaha/Korg set up. Of course we all know it eventually all comes down to the musician himself, no matter what you are playing. I guess I just had to air once more the frustration that I seem to harbour about the issue STYLES versus REGISTRATIONS. Added to that the speculations about the new keyboards in the months ahead. oh YES, cause apart from the AUDYA 5 and the Tyros 4 I have it on fairly good authority that another make will be unveiling an astonishing keyboard towards autumn. Your guess is as good as mine, so I won't even bother. Point is, are we desperately waiting for another arranger keyboard to arrive ? When you buy a second hand top arranger keyboard e.g. Tyros 2, or Korg PA-1X, etc. it is often shocking to find how little the previous owner has really used the potential of his/her keyboard.I guess that was my argument all along. Oh well,che sara sara "....the future is ours to see........"

#289979 - 07/16/10 10:42 AM Re: my own KORG webpages
Kymon Offline

Hi John,

maybe things in the keyboard world are the same as in the rest in the music industry: you have to perform to make real money.

But if you really want to sell your stuff, don't complain about
Quote:
free from the internet
, if you are doing exactly the same thing. Instead of some
Quote:
gratis website maken
webspace, invest some money, get your own domain, hire a competent designer to make a professional website that puts your stuff into a valuable context.

Anyway, enjoy your keyboard, that's what matters most

#289980 - 07/16/10 11:08 AM Re: my own KORG webpages
john smies Offline

Hi Kymon,

I know you mean well but I beg to differ with your criticism here.
I AM using a free webpage because it is offered to me for free. (Apart from the fact that I need little or no space for starters really). Those offering these free sites are inevitably trying to lure you into acquiring a more extensive site for which you will have to pay.
As to my software for the KORG PA keyboards I have made it abundantly clear from the start this time that I would expect some kind of compensation for the many many hours invested. So, as most comparisons do, yours is quite defective.
But talking about free offers on the net, here is one for ALL of you that is not to be denied. Send files up to 2Gb (yep two Gigabyte) for free using: www.wetransfer.com
No hassle, no passwords, no entry form, etc.
Just fill in addressee,sender, personal note, and include the files you want.
It is a great way to send parcels all over the world. And believe it or not the owner is Dutch, kind of budding Bill Gates or so it seems........

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online