SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#288295 - 05/29/10 09:31 AM How much do looks matter?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA

First off, my apologies to Frank for stealing his photo of the Liontracs GROOVE. I didn't want to hijack another thread to start this discussion.

I don't mean this to in any way disparage the looks of the GROOVE but when I look at it, I can't help but wonder how I (personally) would feel performing in public with such an uh....aggressive??? look. Let me make it clear that this thread has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the keyboards capabilities; just the impression it might make on an audience. Of course, it depends on the audience. I don't think it would cause so much as an eye blink in a Hip-Hop club, or even a rock concert. But what about on a restaurant gig, or a country club, or a high-end jazz club? Would all the lights and buttons and knobs and sliders, and wheels, and dials, and split screens, combined with a fire engine red paint job, scream out that this is some kind of hi-tech, computerized, MACHINE; not a musical instrument. I fully realize that some modern (and not so modern) organs could send the same message, but they at least have the advantage of up to three manuals, foot pedals, and (usually) a wooden console, so that it at least gives the appearance of something that you actually PLAY as opposed to OPERATE.

Please treat this as a question, a starting point for a discussion, not a bashing post. Another consideration with this configuration is that, as much as it makes gadget freaks drool at the mouth, could it be somewhat intimidating for some that are more oriented towards making music than exploring the outer limits of technology.

Would I want one? You bet your bippy, but I'm pretty sure it would be confined to the studio and never make it out to a gig (however, this (the studio) could very well be what it was designed for). I'd like to hear your thoughts (but not angry defenses of it's looks, that's not the point).

chas

PS: I'd also love to hear from a dealer (Frank?) what customers first response is to it (or does it even come up?).

#288296 - 05/29/10 10:12 AM Re: How much do looks matter?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, I'm a big Nord fan, so red isn't a turn-off, but yes, the graphics COULD be subtler...

Thing is, has anyone looked at what people actually USE that really DO groove-box gigs? Little 37 note keyboards, 48 note-ers, even 25 notes! But what most of them use, especially the all important MPC crowd... a selection of PADS, to beat on, trigger loops with, etc..

I'm just not sure that, once again, Dom has his finger on the pulse of what REAL users actually want... He tried to sell arranger users on an arranger that you needed to style and voice all by yourself, with a sky-high learning curve (the exact opposite of what most arranger users want), and now he has a groove product that flies against conventional usage. I hope it succeeds, it's a cool product, but once again, just not sure who he's aiming at.

Main thing about looks (back On Topic) for me would be, I've seen pictures of these in the dark, and yes, it looks like the bridge of the Enterprise! Is there any way to dim or brighten the LED's? That's a LOT of lighting on your underside of your face, which is maybe cool for Halloween scary monster songs, but a bit over the top for less frightening occasions!

In the end, I guess I'm not THAT concerned about looks in the showroom, but how something holds up after five or ten years of gigging... I've had keyboards that looked showroom after nearly ten years of heavy use (G1000 was amazing!), and others that the silkscreen panel graphics were flaking and rubbing off after just a year or so (thanks a lot, Ensoniq SQ2! ), or showing dirt and grime too easily (most of those silverized keyboards, including the surround to my G70's touchscreen, suffer from this). Longevity of looks is something that really matters, especially in a keyboard that, apparently, will NEVER be obsolete!

Be they good or bad looks..!

#288297 - 05/29/10 10:35 AM Re: How much do looks matter?
Dnj Offline

Hey heres something new....

A tag team bash on the MS well done boyz! sorry nobody is falling for it anymore.

BTW I love the new GROOVE graphics RED or Black model....the lights look great and very hip on stage to me of what I've seen so far.

#288298 - 05/29/10 10:53 AM Re: How much do looks matter?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Hey heres something new....

A tag team bash on the MS well done boyz! sorry nobody is falling for it anymore.

BTW I love the new GROOVE graphics RED or Black model....the lights look great and very hip on stage to me of what I've seen so far.

OMG! Seems no matter how you pose a question, some people (most notably Donny) will find a way to send it southbound. I ask anyone if my initial post was a legitimate question or a veiled attempt to bash the GROOVE. If everyone thinks it was a subtle bash job, then I apologize. I certainly didn't intend it that way.

BTW Donny. Dom is NOT going to give you the same deal that he gave to James, no matter how much you suck up . The difference is, James may actually do somethin POSITIVE for his sales numbers. Man, you need to chill out, you're fulfilling everybody's prophesy. Forget to take your meds again?

chas

#288299 - 05/29/10 11:01 AM Re: How much do looks matter?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I think the Groove, in red, is as ugly as an inside out monkey.

Looked way better in black, in my opinion.

Ian

#288300 - 05/29/10 11:17 AM Re: How much do looks matter?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
See... Ian you are the second biggest hypocrite on this forum

You just posted a scathing indictment of a mild ribbing I posted about a Yamaha upgrade, and you turn around and do EXACTLY the same thing to the MS/Groovebox. Where's all the respect for the open keyboard users you criticized ME for not having?! I suppose you think that, as long as it's YOU criticizing the MS, that makes it OK?

You guys have got to learn... if you dish it out, you have got to be able to take it. And learn that your own transgressions basically negate your ability to criticize others (who are only doing the same thing).

#288301 - 05/29/10 11:28 AM Re: How much do looks matter?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
See... Ian you are the second biggest hypocrite on this forum

Could be Diki, but you certainly are the biggest...nice title to have, eh? Knowing you, you're probably quite proud of it.

I may have questioned the MS and Audya, but I sure didn't badger the daylights out of them like you did.

You don't know when to quit sometimes...I appreciate your tenacity, but at some point, it just becomes overbearing, as noted by several other members on SZ...unfortunately, you really don't know when it does...too busy trying to be right, I suppose.

Ian

#288302 - 05/29/10 11:38 AM Re: How much do looks matter?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Well Chas, I see this post is doing great...

Chas , when I do use the MediaStation on a gig...the people comment on the looks..."all the lights and controls"...in a positive way....It looks expensive to them, and they seem to agree it sounds great too...

The performers I have been associated with over say the last 25 years...have always liked "lots of lights" on stage..Maybe rack mount gear, amps, and especially keyboards...I don't ever look at it as a negative...

It seems to impress folks and not the other way around....

Another plus for instruments like the MS or Groove models...you can navigate in pitch dark..

I like the look of my former E80 on stage as well as my current G70 and MS....The Prelude....just looks bland on stage..

Good thing ..I look good on stage too..

#288303 - 05/29/10 11:43 AM Re: How much do looks matter?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
BTW Donny. Dom is NOT going to give you the same deal that he gave to James, no matter how much you suck up . The difference is, James may actually do somethin POSITIVE for his sales numbers. chas

Chas don't assume it's not becoming of you...sorry. And why the surprise?...you knew what you were doing.I agree with Fran's post great look on the two new groove units. I personally this its a bit difficult to learn all this stuff on the MS units right now. i'll be the first to admit I'm not the smartest when it comes to all this computer stuff...instead I'd rather just keep it simple on stage and sounding great day after day, night after night with the gear I enjoy playing.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-29-2010).]

#288304 - 05/29/10 11:51 AM Re: How much do looks matter?
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
I made RED because Korg gave me the idea..

There is also available in white.. One model, 5 colors.
Do you prefer the Groove in Yellow?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online