SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#288264 - 05/27/10 05:24 PM PSR8000 Styles on the Tyros 3
DannyUK Offline

Hi guys,

I hope I am finding you all well

I've been playing my T3 quite heavily recently and this keyboard never ceases to amaze me.

The last Yamaha I owned was a PSR8000 and I thought it would be nice to try and get some of those styles to play on my T3 since I used those styles quite heavily. After obtaining them, I've spent a couple of weeks reworking them and managed to get the majority of them playing nicely using the mega voices, fantastic Live drums and so on and I have to say that those PSR8000 styles still sound fantastic and can quite easily fit in todays music playing, that to me is a tribute to how advanced the PSR8000 was in those days, I wished I had appreciated the 8000 more and not fallen trap the the endless hype from many people suggesting that various other manufacturers is better than the next one, I think I would have owned the PSR8000 for a lot longer.

You should always allow your ears to do the listening and judging. If I had listened to my own advice I wouldn't have bought half of the keyboards I've owned but people somehow have a knack at convincing others that keyboards are something that they're not.

#288265 - 05/27/10 05:51 PM Re: PSR8000 Styles on the Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I had a PSR-8000, Danny; in fact, I had two of them, one for a back-up.

It's only limitation, for me, was that the styles had only two variations, and the style creator was a bit crippled compared to what was on the newer instruments.

That's what made me move on...I ended up with two PSR-2000...I was able to make far more usable styles, and, let's face it, those are the heart and soul of any arranger.

Even though the PSR-2000 lacked a bit of the sound quality of the PSR-8000, the four variation styles and their much more flexible editing, more than made up for it, in my case.

Even more so today, I find mid-range instruments are leaps and bounds ahead of top range units of only a few years ago.

I converted many of the PSR-8000 styles to work in my PSR-S910, and I also used parts of those 8K styles for making my Frankenstyles...they had some very interesting bits, not found on any other Yamaha arranger.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Tyros3.

Ian

#288266 - 05/27/10 06:07 PM Re: PSR8000 Styles on the Tyros 3
DannyUK Offline

Hi Ian,

Thank you for responding

I can see your point regarding the two variations but I actually didn't mind this, plus you had the Virtual Arranger function to help, I really miss that feature, gave the styles a beautiful, smooth and melodic feel to them.

I've actually compared some of the 8K styles with the T3 and the ones that Yamaha have carried on through all the updates (such as Clubdance), I think these are actually reworked a little better on the 8K, they seem to have more packed into them, maybe because they do have just two variations I still think they seem a little more busier. It's certainly not a criticism and it's great to have them both but I tend to use the 8K's version if they've originally derived from it and that's what I mean by a testament to the 8K at how ahead of it's time it was.

And now using the T3's real life sounds and fantastic realistic punchy drums (in comparison to the 8K), the styles sound brand new all over again.

As you say Ian, I am so chuffed with the T3, and like with the PA1x 5 years ago, it's going to take me a couple of years before I can say I've truly explored it properly.

#288267 - 05/27/10 06:20 PM Re: PSR8000 Styles on the Tyros 3
Dnj Offline

Danny Im feeling the LOVE baby!! Enjoy!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online