SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#287262 - 05/08/10 12:32 PM Some questions about LIONSTRACS workstations
BL Offline

Hi to all,

I have some questions about this workstation pleas.

1) Why there is no INTEL based hardware ..?

as the Intel I7 today is more powerfull than the top end AMD processors.

2) Is it possible for the user to upgrade the internal hardware with the latest AMD Processore/MOBO/RAM ....etc ex. Phenom II X6 1090T which really so cheap for 6 cores ..

3) Do we have to pay 190€ TaxExc each time there is an OS update ...?

as the V4, V4.1 or V4.2 are all at 190€ each.

4) As an OPEN Keyboard, can I install any VSTi software I want ...?

any limits about processor ressourse ...?

Thats all for now ...

Thanks.

#287263 - 05/08/10 01:20 PM Re: Some questions about LIONSTRACS workstations
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Hi BL
1) We choose AMD CPU because are more supported on Linux with Jack 64bit version.
AMD 6 core is affordable price: http://www.alternate.de/html/product/CPU_Sockel_AM3/AMD/Phenom_II_X6_1090T/419083/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Prozessoren+%28CPU%29&l2=Desktop&l3=Sockel+AM3
Around 300 euro

Intel i7, 6 core is to much expensive: http://www.alternate.de/html/product/CPU_Sockel_1366/Intel%28R%29/Core_und_trade_i7-980X_Prozessor_Extreme_Edition/408789/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Prozessoren+%28CPU%29&l2=Desktop&l3=Sockel +1366
1100 euro.
People don't have the money for buy one 2000 euro keyboard and then you think they will pay 1100 euro only for the CPU?
AMD is enough, with Quad core, 10 Asio Host open and Gigasampler, we are around the 65/70% of the CPU.
Look this shoot, some ASIO host running, sampler... 29% of the CPU and 0ms Latency. http://www.lionstracs.com/store/images/groove/groovequad.jpg

2) Yes, can be possible,( never tested, try to install 64studio ISO) but need to find a mainboard with Nvidia chipset and max 21Cm depth.

3) no, the all OS Update are always FREE to the MS/Groove users, registered on our webstore.

4) depend on the Wine compatibily, finally was release yesteday the new version 1.1.44, with many new additional msvcr80/90 functions. http://www.winehq.org/news/2010050701
I have to test, is just compiled but no time now for testing the al new features.

If you are looking only for the full windows compatibility, the choose the OL.
James and others can explain you the big difference from the two system ( Groove/OL)

now I continue help assembly...

#287264 - 05/08/10 02:06 PM Re: Some questions about LIONSTRACS workstations
BL Offline

Thanks for replying, more than clear to me

Keep on your great work.

#287265 - 05/08/10 02:26 PM Re: Some questions about LIONSTRACS workstations
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
If you are looking only for the full windows compatibility, the choose the OL.
James and others can explain you the big difference from the two system ( Groove/OL)

Hi BL
For me the bottom line is that an Open Lab$ keyboard is still very much so a PC to operate where Lionstracs keyboards are musical instruments powered by PC's. The entire point of an open keyboard is to give the end users all the benefits and flexibility of a DAW/PC, but the bottom line is that it must operate as a musical instrument and not a PC stuffed inside an keyboard case. So it must be seamless in operation.

This is something Open Lab$ are not. A top of the line Neko doesn't necessarily have anything in the way of dedicated controls for operating the keyboards systems at all. It two core interfaces are the Touch Pad and the Touch Screen which allow you to navigate the system as a PC first. The only point where it starts to feel like a musical instrument is when you fire up RIFF as that tried to bring the different systems together under one interface. It does an ok job of this too, but always you will be operating everything in the same manner as you do on a PC.

Lionstracs keyboards are the complete opposite. You have dedicated buttons for doing just about everything. You don't have to access any menus, PC Desktop interfaces or anything at all PC like unless you want to. The entire keyboard can be operated from under Lionstracs own interface much like you if were operating a normal closed workstation. This level of seamless integration it priceless in my opinion when it comes to open keyboards as the entire point of the system is to be a musical instrument with the flexibility of a PC. Open Lab$ have this the other way around.

On my Mediastation I can switch on the keyboard and without accessing the Linux Desktop or Windows/Wine, I can call up Giga sounds, COMBI's, Dual Media Players, large selections of VSTi's and so on..... I don't even have to use the screen or any menu system. I have dedicated buttons that I can just press like if I was playing a normal keyboard. Heck, even when it comes down to adding new Giga sounds to the system you don't they have Linux Sampler integrated into their own system so you don't even see a Linux desktop for adding sound.

So button line for me is.... The entire point of an open keyboard is to give you the flexibility of a PC/DAW, but the goal is that it must be done so in a seamless way that delvers a product called a “Musical Instrument”. How well Open Lab$ and Lionstracs do this is quite different. Open Lab$ have very little in the way of custom anything, it's always just like operating a PC where a Lionstracs keyboards OS is FAR more integrated and seamless.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 05-08-2010).]

#287266 - 05/09/10 01:30 PM Re: Some questions about LIONSTRACS workstations
BL Offline

Thanks james for this brief explanation

I wish I could test this machine, I think it's the best way to see how this thing operates and how it will cover my needs etc.

I never had linux OS installed before, so may be I should start by this step.

#287267 - 05/09/10 01:40 PM Re: Some questions about LIONSTRACS workstations
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi BL.

Quote:
I wish I could test this machine, I think it's the best way to see how this thing operates and how it will cover my needs etc.

Yeah, that would be ideal. All I can say is that if you have any questions on operating it, just shout and I'll try help as much as I can. If a video off my iPhone would help show you something, no problem. Just say the word.

Quote:
I never had linux OS installed before, so may be I should start by this step.

I don't think there is any need. I never used Linux either for anything and even now with a Mediastation I still don't really use Linux

The keyboard boots up into Lionstracs software and for the vast majority of things, that's all you need. The only times I have to access Linux is to copy files and install software. Doing that in Linux is in no way any different from doing it on Windows.

You launch Dolphin to access equivalent of Windows Explorer. Simple as that.

Regards
James

#287268 - 05/09/10 02:05 PM Re: Some questions about LIONSTRACS workstations
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
BL

For what it's worth, I have a Muse Receptor loaded with many VSTi's, plus Kontakt and a huge Colossus library of samples. It uses Linux and has been rock steady for 5 years.
Bernie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online