SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#287023 - 05/04/10 08:17 PM Anyone using one of these modules?...
Dnj Offline

http://tinyurl.com/2foc27z

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-04-2010).]

#287024 - 05/04/10 09:46 PM Re: Anyone using one of these modules?...
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)

#287025 - 05/04/10 10:17 PM Re: Anyone using one of these modules?...
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi Donny:

A few months ago I assisted (to program) "Ed & the Soft-tones", a Canadian Polka band that plays the circuit in the Phoenix Area.
He purchased in Canada, a module that looks exactly like the Silver model XM-900 ONLY with a different name, something that had the word "Gold" somewhere, I have never seen again until you began this post, other that when I heard it, it reminded me of a MS40, that for TODAY standards, it did sounded dated. Had the worse owners manual I ever seen, about 3 or 4 pages.....that was ALL.

In other words, I know is a repackaged older technology, you can see it with the small screen (from the mid 90's), button style, SOUND and styles too.

I repeat, it sounded similar to a MS40 or similar module(of that time), it was NOT User friendly, that I can tell you, for the amount of effort that you need to put into this unit to sound "decent", is not worth it.
I recall Ed telling me how much he payed for, and I think he was taken, he over-payed this unit.
A Ketron XD3 or SD3 would have been a much better sounding unit and much less money, a MUCH better option that he was not aware.

------------------
mdorantes

#287026 - 05/05/10 12:04 AM Re: Anyone using one of these modules?...
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi DNJ
Orla make entry level organs/modules for the European market, and sell extremely well as they are voiced for that market.
They use the latest technology with much of the design (Sound and layout) being done by Paul Carmen, (Seen in the videos) a well-respected organ & keyboard player in Europe. (Including UK)

Here is the UK site http://web.orladirect.co.uk/

I also believe (Not 100% sure on this) that some years ago they were imported into the US under the Technote (Or similar) brand name, however they were completely re-voiced for the US market.

Hope this helps

Bill

#287027 - 05/05/10 05:59 AM Re: Anyone using one of these modules?...
Dnj Offline

Thanx everyone for all your replies.....
I vaguely remember the Orla name from years ago,....I actually bought another accordion yesterday, it's been years since I had one and wanted to fill the sentimental gap in my arsenal....found one for a great price, it only needs to repair a stuck bass button a case and some straps and I'm good to go.

#287028 - 05/05/10 06:23 AM Re: Anyone using one of these modules?...
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Hi DNJ and Group,

I used the XM900 about 5 years ago w/midi accordion. It had some very good sounds and was very simple to use. Its major drawback was the limitation in styles! (only 90). There was absolutely no third party support that I could find.

If there had been more style support I would still have one. It worked very well with the accordion, and was easy to transport. For small gigs it was all I needed.

Don P

#287029 - 05/05/10 07:15 AM Re: Anyone using one of these modules?...
Dnj Offline

Don.....I guess with the style limitations and no way to add more ....the best thing to use would be the Ketron Modules, great sounds and flexibility also.
http://www.ketron.com/itemdetails.asp?mod=AUDYA+4

#287030 - 05/05/10 09:34 AM Re: Anyone using one of these modules?...
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Donny,
I don't think there's any doubt about that. The Orla can't hold a candle to the Ketrons. Now that the Audya 4 is lurking around the corner, I have a notion that one could pick up an Ketron XD3 for a good price.

I know I'm just one of many eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Audya 4 so I can look and listen!

#287031 - 05/05/10 09:39 AM Re: Anyone using one of these modules?...
Dnj Offline

Don good luck I know you'll make it shine!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online