SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#281910 - 02/22/10 07:12 AM Rory Hoffman / Gypsy Hombres
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I just got back from four days at the Folk Alliance conference in Memphis. It was an amazing experience. There were workshops during the day and mid-afternoon, acts played every half hour in numerous rooms. These acts went on until very late. As in 4am! I am very tired, not enough sleep!

I don't know how many listening rooms they had but it was several dozen rooms! I noted that Saturday night at 10:30pm, there were 50 different acts to choose from, so, that means 50 rooms! (Held at the Marriott.)

I heard some amazing acts. It was quite varied, everything from what I would call folk... but then, also r&b, country-rock, jazz, blues, gospel, pop, bluegrass. Heck, everything. And of course, many acts that have acoustic guitar as the base. But I did see several acts using piano as the base or as the only instrument.

I came upon a western swing band. The lead singer had a great voice and the band was cooking. I didn't recognize the accordion player but noted it was a nice addition to western swing.

Several hours later, I was in another area and saw an acoustic trio playing and stepped in to hear them. Fiddle, upright bass and a man playing a guitar in an odd sort of way. He was the accordion player in the western swing band. The guitar laid across his lap like a lapsteel but he didn't use a slide. He fretted with his fingers. Amazingly fast. And accurate. It then dawned on me that this was Rory Hoffman, who posts on here sometimes. The trio was The Gypsy Hombres.
http://www.myspace.com/gypsyhombres

Rory, I didn't get to speak to you, as I had to hurry away due to a scheduling conflict, but wow, you can really play! I have seen your videos on here and it's even better live. I noted that your band mates were quite jazzy. Meaning, man, these cats can play! REALLY play!

I was impressed!

#281911 - 02/22/10 07:29 AM Re: Rory Hoffman / Gypsy Hombres
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I'll bet you were impressed. I certainly was listening to the tunes on their website. Rory, of course, is outstanding, along with the others.

Thanks for sharing
Bernie

#281912 - 02/22/10 08:10 AM Re: Rory Hoffman / Gypsy Hombres
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Rory is one of my favorite all-time people. He's a "monster" player, but, more than that, he's humble and deserves all the success he's had and will enjoy in the future.

Really looking forward to visiting with him again at this year's Summer NAMM.

Good things happen to good people, and Rory is certainly "Good People".

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 02-22-2010).]

#281913 - 02/22/10 08:23 AM Re: Rory Hoffman / Gypsy Hombres
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA

#281914 - 02/22/10 09:36 AM Re: Rory Hoffman / Gypsy Hombres
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I don't care WHAT kind of music you like, you've got to bow down to this guy. This is the type of talent that elevates those who play with him. Personally, I don't even want to be in the same state as Rory, as I understand he plays jazz organ (along with about 14 other instruments) with equal ability . A really great talent.

chas

#281915 - 02/22/10 10:23 AM Re: Rory Hoffman / Gypsy Hombres
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Monster talent for sure!!

A few years ago he posted Don Gibson's "Oh Lonesome Me" done with a Bossa Nova styling. I still have that on my iPod, it's one of the best pieces of music on the iPod.

#281916 - 02/22/10 01:14 PM Re: Rory Hoffman / Gypsy Hombres
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Just amazing ...
t.

#281917 - 02/22/10 02:24 PM Re: Rory Hoffman / Gypsy Hombres
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You look up the definition of 'The real deal' in the book, there's Rory's picture...!

An oft abused phrase here at SZ, but here is someone that actually deserves it.

If you are ever down close to Destin, Rory (and Russ), make sure I know about it...

#281918 - 02/22/10 02:58 PM Re: Rory Hoffman / Gypsy Hombres
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Fantastic player!

I agree, Diki. When you hear it too often -and then usually as a self-aggrandizement- it loses its meaning...until someone like Rory comes along.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#281919 - 02/22/10 06:03 PM Re: Rory Hoffman / Gypsy Hombres
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
My sister actually found this thread before I did. She is signed up for Google alerts, and forwarded this to me when it came across.

Semi-live, So you saw the Hombres Saturday night eh? And that was the gig that I thought sucked. LOL. Just goes to show you gotta be on your game no matter how much you don't like it. I think that room wasn't a good fit for us. We cleared out that place in no time. the acoustic singer songwriters had a full room, and we got rid of almost everybody by the time we were done. The other hombres showcases went much better, and of course Carolyn Martin's western swing outfit is always a blast.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to actually make a decent living doing tasteful music. Oy, t'ain't easy living on 20k a year. What we do for the sake of art. I guess part of me is still chasing a dream and not just a job, or I should have never picked Nashville. Guess the Nord Stage will wait another year.

Anyway, thanks for all your nice comments everybody.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online