SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#282105 - 02/24/10 04:20 AM syncing midi clocks between 2 keyboards
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
is it 'easy' or is there a tutorial somewhere on how to connect the Motif XS and the PSR S910 with eachother so the midi clocks are aligned?

I want to be able to play a style using the S910 and an arp with the Motif XS all in realtime without the arp jumping out of time.

is this possible?

#282106 - 02/24/10 05:30 AM Re: syncing midi clocks between 2 keyboards
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Nick G
Providing the 910 is set to send the clock signal, and the Motive is set to receive the clock signal, then there should not be any problems.
Check the respective Midi implementation charts to confirm what they can and cannot do.
Hope this helps

Bill

#282107 - 02/24/10 01:47 PM Re: syncing midi clocks between 2 keyboards
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Most of your problem with the PSR's is that MIDI tends to be an 'all or nothing' affair, from what I have read. In other words, you can't turn individual Parts on and off, the PSR sends them all (please someone correct me if I'm wrong). So you have to be fairly vigilant at the MoXS end to make sure that it DOESN'T play those Parts as well as just receiving clock.

Are you planning to clock the XS from the PSR, or the other way round?

#282108 - 02/24/10 02:33 PM Re: syncing midi clocks between 2 keyboards
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
All i want to do is use the motif XS with my right hand playing melody and arps.

My left hand will be using the PSR for the style control.

#282109 - 02/24/10 03:09 PM Re: syncing midi clocks between 2 keyboards
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Nick:

You are in to spend endless time...my suggestions are:

In the XS you must go to the MIDI page and put the clock in external.... and depending on what arps and the midi channels those have, you must either enable then and disable the ones you do not want.
On the 910, I would suggest to make registrations to setup the style, tempo, etc...and for the RIGHT hand I would experiment what sound change trigger from the 910 to the XS....and then save those, it may be in the 910 a banjo while the XS may play a horn or something else, that's what you get when to keyboards have totally different sound/voice map.
Good luck.
Let us know if this suggestion worked for you.

------------------
mdorantes

#282110 - 02/24/10 03:10 PM Re: syncing midi clocks between 2 keyboards
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You are probably going to want to clock the MoXS with the PSR, then (otherwise your registrations' tempo controls won't work).

I'd take a serious dig into the XS's MIDI implementation documents to see how to turn off the reception of everything BUT the clock signal.

You might want to post on the XS Motifator forum. I'm sure someone has done a similar thing (even if not with an arranger) over there...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online