SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#278157 - 12/28/09 06:34 AM GROOVE OS 4.0 DOUBLE FASTER
Magica Alfa Offline

It is coming out new faster of operating system that is based on Kubuntu 9.10

CLICK ON YOUTUBE VIDEO

Demo of new Kubuntu 9.10 on OS 4.0, with KDE effects Cube on the 12 Desktops. Next video demo will include the all desktops features under Touch screen mode.
Demo of new Kubuntu 9.10 on OS 4.0, with KDE effects Cube on the 12 Desktops.
Next video demo will include the all desktops features under Touch screen mode.

New faster loading of startup, faster playing, changing of sounds and other possible functions that offer NEW Kubuntu 9.10

#278158 - 12/29/09 09:02 AM Re: GROOVE OS 4.0 DOUBLE FASTER
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Thanks Magica Alfa

I saw this yesterday and thought it was freaking awesome, very powerful and super smooth. I really do think that the future of all keyboards will be OPEN platforms and that it's happening NOW. There are only 4 companies in the world producing instruments like this. Muse Research, SMPro Audio, Open Labs and Lionstracs.

Muse Research and SM Pro Audio products are not true open systems. You cannot install whatever you want on them because they need compatibility added or in the case of SMPro, you need Wizard files. Writing your own is next to impossible unless you totally throw yourself at it and are extremely technically minded.

So really you only have Open Labs and Lionstracs offering true open keyboards right now. The Open Labs systems are slick for sure but this is their 5th Generation and you don't exactly get value for money. To get a Neko with all the controllers on board will cost you dearly.

The new Lionstracs keyboards on the other hand are much better priced and they come with the dedicated controllers. Being Linux based you also have that Multi Host which Open Labs don't. So technically this has all the makings of a being success.

Interesting times ahead for sure. I know for sure that I will never buy a closed keyboard every again.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 12-29-2009).]

#278159 - 12/31/09 01:58 AM Re: GROOVE OS 4.0 DOUBLE FASTER
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Thanks guys!
You saw there just the first basic features..
Beginn 2010 is available the new OS 4 and I will shown the TON of the new features in realtime.
Kubuntu 9.10 is really AMAZING and double fast as before...a true DREAMS for Windows OS!
Anyway...happy new year to all SZ!

#278160 - 12/31/09 03:38 AM Re: GROOVE OS 4.0 DOUBLE FASTER
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Being a gadget lover (who also loves throwing away money), I'd love to have one to play with in the studio, but, I would definitely wait for the next two or three iterations (motherboards, ram, USB - USB3 already out, etc. change so fast) given Dom's 'work-in-progress' approach to OS development. I have to say, I'm more impressed by the POTENTIAL, than anything I've heard (could be a CD playing in the background, for all I know). It's so difficult to demonstrate the real potential of a machine (instrument?) such as this. I'd say that the potential buyer would need to bring something (like imagination and creativity and musical sensibility) to the table as well. I don't think this is your grandfathers 'plug in and play' party toy.

As far as this approach being the wave of the future, it's hard to say. The 'lazy' will always be among us (ask Ian ). Those devices that require a substantial investment in time and study in order to realize their potential, will always have a limited market IMO. It also depends on the way music itself goes. If electronic music (as depicted in Sci-Fi movies, etc.) begins to totally replace more traditional music (classical, folk), then perhaps machines like this WILL be the easiest way to produce such music. But what is it they will be replacing? Certainly not acoustic instruments. Synths? If so, wouldn't this then be just evolutionary? A better mousetrap, so to speak? Who knows? I'm losing my own train of thought . Anyway, Dom, send me one for evaluation. I'll give you my report in about a year, at which time you can send me the GROOVE II for evaluation. As part of the deal, I'll keep Diki at bay until you've had time to produce a first class demo.

chas

#278161 - 12/31/09 05:51 AM Re: GROOVE OS 4.0 DOUBLE FASTER
LIONSTRACS Offline

Chas...
Fortunally the train for the evaluation is passed..
Megaaudio.de already full tested the new Groove products and they have also on stock. http://www.megaaudio.de/newsletter/news/Liontracs_News_Dec09.html

Want to laugh?
removed the arranger styles module from the OS installer and we get the contract distribution.
Another probe that the arranger keyboards will dead really soon, they want only Sounds Workstation!
From April we start to shipping 50 groove every months..try to ask one to Megaaudio..
I'm not allowed anymore to sell my products in the whole north europe.

About the USB3 at this moment I can not offer, just the available hardware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoIbTz1-1RI

Is better that you wait the new Audya 2 for this all new hardware features..
Happy new year.

#278162 - 12/31/09 06:25 AM Re: GROOVE OS 4.0 DOUBLE FASTER
LIONSTRACS Offline

Ah..forget to tell...
You can come to test the Groove, Vasio/Ebony racks and Stage on Musikmesse by Megaaudio stand.
SEEM (not depend on me) that will dimostrate all our products Armin woods, then you can also learn how to play HiTech keyboards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4hMyJkAk6U
Happy new year again.

#278163 - 12/31/09 08:01 AM Re: GROOVE OS 4.0 DOUBLE FASTER
mrdave Offline

Loc: Rimini, Italy
I'm sorry, but if I want to play with linux desktop cubes while watching videos and a horrible house music track, I would buy a COMPUTER, not a KEYBOARD...

#278164 - 12/31/09 09:26 AM Re: GROOVE OS 4.0 DOUBLE FASTER
Irishacts Offline

Hi cgiles

Quote:
As far as this approach being the wave of the future, it's hard to say. The 'lazy' will always be among us (ask Ian). Those devices that require a substantial investment in time and study in order to realize their potential, will always have a limited market IMO. It also depends on the way music itself goes.

I don't think it will be a quick transition, but I believe it's a guaranteed transition and that it's already well underway.

Right now in the arranger VS workstation world, Workstations dominate arrangers many times over in sales and people who buy them are prepared to put in the extra work it takes to create something on them. So the vast majority of people are technical minded.

The DAW / VSTi PC setup is also hugely popular, easily many times the Arranger market too, and it has hurt the workstation market. The response there was to start integrating workstations into the software world by including applications that make the workstation display on a DAW like a VSTi, and to include full editor abilities.

The existence of the OASYS alone is proof that KORG are developing OPEN keyboards and you can bet that the future of the company is pinned on that technology. They spent 10 years on the OASYS project so you can expect to see a little OASYS in many products to come.

Not to mention the fact that there are already a number of dedicated VSTi devices out now like Open Labs, Receptor, V-Machines and now Lionstracs. Being a V-Machine owner myself I can tell you that they are very popular. You just need to hang out in the right places to see this.

So, it's already happen and Lionstracs, Open Labs and SMPro Audio are just the first out of the gate to support the needs of the next generation keyboards.

Quote:
If electronic music (as depicted in Sci-Fi movies, etc.) begins to totally replace more traditional music (classical, folk), then perhaps machines like this WILL be the easiest way to produce such music.

There will always be countless styles of music that cover every instrument imaginable. Orchestral music for example has been around longer than any other style of music and yet you can find guys all over the world now sitting in a home studio sequencing the entire score for block buster movies.

Just hang out on the VSL forums and you will see what I mean.

The sound you can produce with software far exceeds closed keyboards. Take PianoTeq as the perfect example. It's a 16MB program based on modelling technology and it sounds exactly like a real piano.

There's not a closed keyboard or sample library in the world that could compare to it it's so realistic and totally playable, just as if your playing the real thing.

Quote:
But what is it they will be replacing? Certainly not acoustic instruments.

There never will be a substitute for the real thing, but applications like VSL and countless others will certainly take away a huge chunk of their business.

Why hire an orchestra when you can hire a Studio that can produce the same sounds with VSL.

It's actually an interesting subject, the future is certainly going to be different and exciting.

Regards
James

#278165 - 12/31/09 09:56 AM Re: GROOVE OS 4.0 DOUBLE FASTER
AFG Music Offline

so long that the qranger in lionstracs workstation is available,

so that you can make styles, there wil be no problem. qranger wil be ever the best part in lionstracs workstations.

for people who know how to program styles , is an workstaion with engine arranger better than a regular arranger. it does not matter for styles creators if a workstaion comes without styles. but you should be able programming styles in taht workstation. qranger is getting better and better.

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 12-31-2009).]

#278166 - 12/31/09 11:10 AM Re: GROOVE OS 4.0 DOUBLE FASTER
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mrdave:
I'm sorry, but if I want to play with linux desktop cubes while watching videos and a horrible house music track, I would buy a COMPUTER, not a KEYBOARD...

Yeah but look at what's on each of the the desktop cubes and now tell that doesn't make you drool.

The function of any OPEN keyboard is to give you all the benefits of dedicated hardware controllers (and workstations) as well as a PC without the hassle and headaches that go with them.

It's the best of both worlds if you know what I mean. You get to install what you want and have it operate seamlessly like a normal workstaion.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 12-31-2009).]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online