SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#277218 - 12/04/09 10:30 AM Getting Corporate Gigs....!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
In my experience, these are "the top of the heap" gigs. They pay twice what a restaurant gig does ($350 up for three hours), the money is always guaranteed, and you get a lot of repeat business.

About 1/2 my jobs are corporate, government (city, state organizations) or non-profits.

Here's what works for me:

* Join the Chamber. Being a member of the Chamber of Commerce was part of my corporate job. After I left the corporate world, I maintained my membership and helped with various committees. I play for special events for them, no charge. I get not only lots of music gigs, but communications work for my company.

* Summer patio work. I work all summer on the patio of probably the top upscale restaurant in the city. All the "movers an shakers" go there to "show off". I start in May and by the end of the month, I've generally booked all the rest of the year. 75% of the jobs are now repeat. They know they're going to see me there. The money is not great ($150.00), but that's what fills thr calendar.

* Kiwanis Club. I'm not a member, due to travel for my company, but used to be. Anytime these old dudes call, I go and play for their weekly meeting-gratis (actually the pay is an $8.00 rubber chicken lunch...YUMM!). It gives me visibility and contacts.

* Charities: Anytime anyone connected with a good cause needs me, I'm there. It always results in additional business at some time in the future.

* Christmas Card. I send a generic card to all people I've played for and all business contacts.

* Be flexible. I do anything from singles to big band gigs. Recently, a long-time client wanted a "Rock-A-Billy night for a Corporate annual meeting. There I was, sparkly tux, gold sparkly Gretsch, patent leather shoes...duckwalk and all!

* Maintain all appropriate business contacts. I teach at the local university part-time and, over the years, have maintained friendships with people who are known members of the business and academic communities. On all my restauramt gigs, part of the deal is dinner for two. I invite these folks out for dinner and drinks, being careful to rotate the list to include all of the "players". That's good for both the restaurant and for me. The owners always call to say that they enjoy the repeat business, and often get company parties, which I generally play. That's good all the way around.

* Billing after the gig. I never wait for my money, and have it set up to bill after the gig.The last thing a busy restaurant owner needs is to stop what he is doing to pay me.
It's all repeat business, and I know and trust my clients. In 50 years, I've never been stiffed.

That's it. No website, no business card (I use my company one), no C/D. No promo package.

The point is, this is what works for me, for both music and communications gigs. I get most of my corporate contacts because of the ability to supply custom sound-tracks from which 10, 30 and 60 second commercial beds are pulled. The marketing that will work for others depends on many factors, and the challenge is to put the right program together. Lexington is the biggest little "one horse" town in the country. You're either "in" or you're "not".
Without my long-time connections, this approach would not work, even here.

Take a look at these corporate and organization gigs. They work for me, BIG TIME!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 12-04-2009).]

#277219 - 12/04/09 11:03 AM Re: Getting Corporate Gigs....!
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thanks Capitan Russ!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#277220 - 12/04/09 11:29 AM Re: Getting Corporate Gigs....!
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Great post! Gotta practice my duckwalk, though.

#277221 - 12/04/09 01:36 PM Re: Getting Corporate Gigs....!
captain Russ Offline

"QUACK, QUACK"!

Russ (The Albino Chuck Berry) Lay

#277222 - 12/04/09 02:35 PM Re: Getting Corporate Gigs....!
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
This is great info.

Everyone should copy and paste Russ' advice to a word file and use it.

Thanks, Russ!

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#277223 - 12/04/09 02:43 PM Re: Getting Corporate Gigs....!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Russ, Thanks for the great advice, you are living proof that it works, of course you have the talent too!!

#277224 - 12/05/09 09:19 AM Re: Getting Corporate Gigs....!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Some of the advice by Russ should be etched in stone--it just makes good business sense, especially when you have more than one business to run, which Russ does on a daily basis.

In my case, I usually book about a dozen corporate parties a year. Most are repeat business and more often than not they book a year in advance. I perform for their annual banquets, awards ceremonies and similar events.

Like Russ, I send out a Christmas card every year. The difference is my card is personalized, and most years it includes my latest CD, which I'm told is played until the label wears out.

Many of my corporate accounts came from two locations--performing at political fund raisers and performing at Shriners meetings, both of which I charge my normal rate. (No rubber chicken dinners for me, but they do offer them. UGH!) Keep in mind that most of the individuals attending political fund raisers are corporate owners who contribute heavily to politicians in order to prevent their business from being legislated to death. The Shriners to great work, especially for kids, and much of their membership consists of heads of corporations--folks who put some big parties together every year.

I don't play free for charities. In this part of the world if you played free for charities you would not have time to make a living. I charge the charities the same rate as I charge anyone else, and by and large most of the major charities book me regularly for their fund raisers. Keep in mind, though, most charities are major corporations--they just claim to be non-profit.

I'm a proponent of self promotion. It can be via business cards, CDs, fliers, promotional packages, direct mail advertising, you name it--it all works, and it works very well. It's not expensive, takes very little time and very effective. Of course, there is one major component that we must have in order to make the package complete--TALENT. Once your foot is in the door, if you provide what the client wants, then you'll get those repeat, corporate bookings.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#277225 - 12/05/09 01:14 PM Re: Getting Corporate Gigs....!
captain Russ Offline

I agree with Gary that, in most cases, playing for free for charities is unnecessary. In my case, I'm either on the board of the charity or a listed, regular contributor, so charging would be a littler "cheesy". That being said, I don't play free for EVERY charity; just the ones I have a particular connection with.

I donate the proceeds from one job a week to an organization dedicated to Nursing home reform (works pretty neat; individuals can deduct the fee, since I have the check made out to the organization), and will do a second charity job a week if the cause is one I'm involved in. That means I can donate upwards of $25,000.00 of in kind work for just 5 or six hours of work a week.

WORKS FOR ME!

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online