SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#275224 - 11/03/09 11:07 PM iPhone/iPod Touch Owners: What are your Fav iPhone Apps?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I just bought a 64GB iPod Touch 3G last week and enjoying it alot. Realizing other Synthzone members own an iPhone/iPodTouch too, which iPhone apps (both music & non-music related) are among your top recommended favorites.

Scott

#275225 - 11/03/09 11:20 PM Re: iPhone/iPod Touch Owners: What are your Fav iPhone Apps?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Well.....

Some useful Apps:

GOOGLE MAPS (the app that comes with the iPhone) it is a very powerful "search for things & get directions App", and don't forget, you can call any number in almost every result screen just by touching it.

SKYPE - (You know what Skype is) - works pretty well with clear audio and easy to navigate - worth downloading if you use it at home! (no Video)

FACEBOOK - If you use it already and like it, it's great. If you hate Facebook, avoid.

NOW PLAYING
A superb "What's on at the Movies" App that finds out where you are, what Movies are showing near you, rates them (using Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes) shows you a ridiculous amount of Cinemas and Cinema times, and allows you to watch the Trailer, Read Reviews, and email the time and Location of a movie you're interested in to anyone (including yourself back at home of course) AND you can look at upcoming Movies and Current DVD releases (with Reviews). Out of all the Movie apps I've tried (3 of them) this is by FAR the best.
**FREE**

INQUISITOR - an app that allows you to input any Person/Subject and then gathers info on that subject from Wikipedia, Official Sites directly related to the subject, etc - handy for collating info on any one subject from multiple websites.

DICTIONARY.COM (Blue Icon with a "D" and White lines and a circle around it) Fantastic app that is preloaded with almost every word you can think of AND a Thesaurus. No internet connection required for the Basic Dictionary/Thes function!! (Doesn't use up data on your plan!)

UNITS - Apparently a great (free) Unit (including Currency) converter - anything from Temperature to Weight.

EBAY MOBILE - If you use Ebay, it's fantastic.

MOVER

Ok, so what this Handy little app does is this:

Say you have a Contact or a Picture you want to transfer to the Wife's iPhone. Say there's a few.
What's an easy way to do it?

Well just install the (free) App "Mover" on both your phones and start it up.
Then put down both phones on a table top and add whatever Contact or Image you want to port across. It appears on a virtual Tabletop on the app - then flick the file with your finger towards the other phone and it slides across to the other phones virtual table top.

Rinse and repeat as often as you like - hundreds of files if you want.
(Don't forget to erase some of the files from your tabletops when there's too many as the app slows down if you have TONS of files piled up on your tables - don't worry it doesn't erase them from the phone itself - just the Tabletop)

Believe me, it might sound weird, but it is easy and crazy cool when other people see you do it - the file just slides with a flick of a finger out of one "phone table" straight into the other.

The one problem?

You must have both iPhones on the same Wi-fi Network. (As far as I know it doesn't work on Bluetooth!)

If this doesn't faze you - get it!

REMOTE:

An (older) App that controls your complete iTunes Library on your Computer - from the phone. VERY handy at times.

For example, you're hosting a party and got your laptop running the Music from iTunes plugged into your home Theatre/speaker setup. Now instead of bending over the computer mousing your way around to find your favourites or changing stuff on the fly ignoring the chips n dips n party guests, you whip out your phone and call up the music there!

I've actually done this a little while ago at an impromptu party at our place and people thought I was a damn Voodoo Priest watching me peruse my Complete music Library from my phone and seeing the computer remotely respond...

Sorry, but I think it really is WAY cool.

CONCERTS - Shows you whose playing around town - everyone from local Acts in small Venues to people like Pink!

SHAZAM - It's the app you saw in the ads (the one where they hold the iPhone up to the speaker and it tells you what song it is) and the app will tell you the song, Discography of the Band/Artist who did the song, Album Review, an option to buy the song, or just to stream it from Youtube.

LOCLY - A search app - Hotels, Pharmacy's, Banks (probably Google Maps is still better!)

Scramble/Scramble2 (Great Word games - trust me)

URBAN SPOON - Restaurant Finder (and Rater) fun App to use when you don't know what to eat (or where).

ATM Hunter: Does what it says... for free. Works pretty well in this age of being charged by other banks to use their Machines.....

FSTREAM

Streams Internet Radio.
You can also record Radio in either AIFF or WAV format. (Quality is only limited by the bit rate that the Net Station broadcasts at.)

I thought this was a 5 Star app until I found out something else:

Go to Favourites and Presets and you will see already entered bookmarks for Shoutcast, SourceMac, and iTunes.

This allows you to book mark (with one touch) EVERY radio stream iTunes Radio, Shoutcast & Macsource lists.

To put this in perspective.

Alternative
Ambient
Blues
Country
Classic Rock
Classical
College/University Radio
Comedy
Dance
Eclectic
Electronic

etc etc etc etc.

28 Genres just for iTunes.
(I clicked on the Jazz Genre for instance, and stopped counting at 103 Radio Station Streams).

Also Shoutcast & Macsource with similar listings.

So well over 50 Genres.
Each Genre having at least 50 stations (sometimes hundreds)

You do the Math

In just a few minutes of typing and Bookmarking I had:
All Major Commercial (Australian) Radio Stations, 2 great Blues stations, a Dance station, 40's, 50's, 60's (separate streams), A "Beatles only" Station, 3 Italian Stations (for my Mother In Law), 4 International News streams, Alternate Acoustic, and a killer Reggae station.

Oh, and it's free! - Careful not to use up your Monthly Data Usage by leaving this "on" when you're out 'n about - use it at home on Wifi!!!!!

PANDORABOX

Basically an app that searches the App store continually for apps that either have had Price Drops or are now/for a limited time Free.

TRAPSTER

It's basically a "Police Warning" kind of App. It's been around for a little while, but NOW with OS 3.0 it has push notifications.

So what does it do exactly, and what's so great about the Push Stuff?

Ok:

Say you're driving along the highway, or in an unfamiliar part of your town, and you don't know where the Red Light Cams are, or the Fixed Speed cams, or where the Police usually hide, or if there is a mobile trap recently set up where you are...

Well Trapster tells you! It uses Googlemaps In-App to warn you, as well as audible spoken/sound fx warnings for when you're driving along.

The Push Notes?

Well, you now get sms style pop up warnings of live Police Radar Traps that have just been spotted, whether you're running the app or not.

Trapster works with (and depends upon) the people who download and use the app to report recently set up mobile traps, or to vote on where the "Police often hide here" sites are.

The more people who use it, the better it will be!

TUNE WIKI

Wow - great app.

Get this:

You play any song from your ipod.

It plays the song, and AS it is does so, it displays the Lyrics and translates them if you want - in over 30 languages!!

Karaoke freaks rejoice!!!!

Much more than this though, it can find any Youtube Video of the song playing - even if it wasn't a single.

Eg, there was a Bob Dylan song on one of his later Albums (Modern Times) and Tune Wiki found a bootleg fan video of the song - Bob playing Live in Italy - and played it, much to my amazement.

Also:

It has a Net Radio player powered by Shoutcast.
Just as diverse as Fstream from what I can tell!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#275226 - 11/04/09 02:39 AM Re: iPhone/iPod Touch Owners: What are your Fav iPhone Apps?
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Facebook
Scrabble
Skeeball
NASA - free
Mover
Zoozbeat - awesome!
bejewelled
CNN
Tracker Lite - track packages

#275227 - 11/04/09 05:51 AM Re: iPhone/iPod Touch Owners: What are your Fav iPhone Apps?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Hellboy whoa, that's quite the list:

I have a 2g iTouch, not the iPhone

I use the Kindle app that allows me to read books via the iTouch or via my Kindle2, it automatically syncs so that I never lose my place/bookmark.

100 pushups a phys ed program that takes you from not being able to do many push ups to completeing a total of 100(in sets) in over 6 weeks. ( it's a very difficult program! )

Piano Sharp which is a virtual piano that allows you to compose music, play your own MIDI files and record new songs in a simple way at the iTouch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0snykNRiFk

Scrabble

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 11-04-2009).]

#275228 - 11/04/09 07:14 AM Re: iPhone/iPod Touch Owners: What are your Fav iPhone Apps?
Dnj Offline

Isn't this Off Topic,? is there a "mine is better then yours" arranger keyboard App too? ......besides, as a Sprint customer many years I wouldnt want to use an iPhone, I've heard too many problems. My friends have them & wish they never got them, now they are stuck for a 2 yr contract before they can dump them. I think it's overated .

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-04-2009).]

#275229 - 11/04/09 07:36 AM Re: iPhone/iPod Touch Owners: What are your Fav iPhone Apps?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Donny, Donny, Donny....

Coming at this from a different angle, we recently purchased four 32Gb iTouch units here at work that we'll hand out to the techs and add that to their "tookits". Lots of apps for wireless network analyzing, port scanners, subnet calculators, plus the browser for going to sites like Experts-Exchange, Tom's Hardware, Google, etc., sites with tons of tips and solutions to computer problems.

Love the iPod Touch! Don't have an iPhone (yet).

-mike

#275230 - 11/04/09 07:49 AM Re: iPhone/iPod Touch Owners: What are your Fav iPhone Apps?
Dnj Offline

Mike coming from your approval which I always respect for years & being a good friend too, as my Sprint contract is almost up at years end I will certainly look closer at the iPhone myself without the interference of friends criticisms. Same as I would do in buying a keyboard. If it is up too MY needs & I filter in recommendation from good sources as yourself, who knows I might pick one up also. Early iPhone releases did have some problems.....maybe now with improvements things are different. The only apps I currently use now are on Facebook.

carry on

PS, and what would be the second place choice to an iPhone if I may ask? From any company?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-04-2009).]

#275231 - 11/04/09 09:34 AM Re: iPhone/iPod Touch Owners: What are your Fav iPhone Apps?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hola Scott:

I have been using the Itouch since just was introduced, in fact, since, I have got another from the second generation, is great !!.
One App, that I think is a must have is the Free WiFi, this app search for near by "hot spots", Just Light cames in handy when you get in dark places.
The best part is the Calendar, for the gigs, is so good to have, I guess my RAM is saturated and the Itouch is my memory when they ask me where I going to play such date etc.
I great to See you here.!

------------------
mdorantes

#275232 - 11/04/09 09:40 AM Re: iPhone/iPod Touch Owners: What are your Fav iPhone Apps?
Dnj Offline

How much each do these APPS cost to download to your iPhone?

#275233 - 11/04/09 09:43 AM Re: iPhone/iPod Touch Owners: What are your Fav iPhone Apps?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
These new phones are awesome.

I'm still fascinated by my cordless phones.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online