SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#274573 - 10/28/09 06:18 AM Air guitar anyone...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
This will blow your mind! You no longer need a guitar--just the right kind of voice.
http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/incredible-mouth-guitarist/1693761122

Enjoy,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#274574 - 10/28/09 08:05 AM Re: Air guitar anyone...
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Cool! So what kind of guitar does he sound like? Gibson? PRS?

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#274575 - 10/28/09 08:52 AM Re: Air guitar anyone...
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
And I thought I was having a voice problem.

Glenn

#274576 - 10/28/09 09:07 AM Re: Air guitar anyone...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I think he is 'lip-synching' to an unseen guitar ... ...

t.

PS ... why can't MY arranger sound like that ....
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 10-28-2009).]

#274577 - 10/28/09 09:48 AM Re: Air guitar anyone...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
PS ... why can't MY arranger sound like that ....
t.
B]

Thank God mine doesn't. Well it could if I really wanted it to, and truth is it can be fun to rip one out occasionally on an overdriven guitar sound, but never in public.

Distorted guitar is one of the more easy sounds to create. Pretty much any source, such as that guys vocal, or an organ patch, or clav, or trumpet, or sax, or just about anything else can be turned into an over-the-top overdriven guitar by running it through enough distortion, a little compression, maybe some slight chorusing, and a ton of delay and/or reverb. Depending on the source it helps to have a slight slap-back delay in front of the distortion effect.

------------------
[b]Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band
The Modulators

#274578 - 10/28/09 11:04 AM Re: Air guitar anyone...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
Thank God mine doesn't. Well it could if I really wanted it to, and truth is it can be fun to rip one out occasionally on an overdriven guitar sound, but never in public.

Distorted guitar is one of the more easy sounds to create. Pretty much any source, such as that guys vocal, or an organ patch, or clav, or trumpet, or sax, or just about anything else can be turned into an over-the-top overdriven guitar by running it through enough distortion, a little compression, maybe some slight chorusing, and a ton of delay and/or reverb. Depending on the source it helps to have a slight slap-back delay in front of the distortion effect.

Actually Dave, that was more of a rhetorical question, hence the smileys ...
While I have little use for a distorted guitar for most of my gigs, I notice it is used more and more in today's country tunes especially in the ballads ...
t.

#274579 - 10/28/09 11:31 AM Re: Air guitar anyone...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I saw this guy perform here in Cape Breton quite some time ago, and apparently he's still on the go.

http://mcrorie.net/Pages/Main.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpOM_9Bf7vI

Lead parts were done with his vocals.

He was awesome to watch...all parts done "live".

Anybody seen this guy?

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-28-2009).]

#274580 - 10/28/09 12:40 PM Re: Air guitar anyone...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've heard only a tiny handful of demos where the player got anywhere NEAR nailing a good distorted guitar solo. Good enough to fool an arranger player, perhaps Not good enough to fool a guitarist, though!

There is simply too much interaction between the notes played and the amp on 11, pick angles, feedback and force and cleanliness (or lack of it!) of fingering for a keyboard to really nail it, IMO.

To be honest, I find the 'clean' acoustic and electric guitars, especially SA and Mega, to be FAR more convincing (if played well) than any distorted patch, I'm afraid...

JMO

It's nice to pretend, but we are no more Jimi Hendrix than we are Stan Getz!

#274581 - 10/28/09 12:51 PM Re: Air guitar anyone...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

It's nice to pretend, but we are no more Jimi Hendrix than we are Stan Getz!

Arranger keyboards are for the Walter Mitty that resides in many of us.

Generally playing most any instrument that is not keyboard based will seldom fool a player of the real instrument.

But, part of the playing experience of arranger(or synth) using samples of other instruments, is to paint with different colors, and not really try to fool anyone...generally it's done to give the "impression" of a guitar, or trumpet, or whatever.

Having said that, I heard Kenny Kirkland (Sting's former keyboardist...RIP) play a PSR-8000 with a distortion guitar patch, that was pretty incredible...sure turned a lot of heads, especially guitarists, who were awestruck.

#274582 - 10/28/09 01:01 PM Re: Air guitar anyone...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Jan Hammer did it with keyboards that were FAR less accurate than today's, but then again, he actually ran them through a tube amp cranked to 11 (OK, maybe 9!) to get the sound. Plus he looked at Jeff Beck, Al Dimeola and John Mclaughlin's guitar playing every night and copied what he could!

The thing is, it's easy to get ONE NOTE accurate for just about any sound, including distorted guitar. But a whole line, a whole piece, that's a fish of a different smell...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online