SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#274493 - 10/26/09 11:01 AM Splitting a video
Beakybird Offline

I did a performance at a fancy retirement community, and the AV guy there videoed it. I nailed the show solidly, and as they gave me a copy of the video, I want to share parts of it on the web.

How do I split the section that I want and save it as a separate file? Is there any freeware or cheap program to do this? Maybe there's something already on my HD that I don't know about.

Thanks in advance.

Beakybird

#274494 - 10/26/09 11:18 AM Re: Splitting a video
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Beakybird
If you’re using Windows, then the inbuilt Movie Maker software will do what you require. (Split and convert to a form suitable for the web)
The problem is getting the video onto the HDD, if it is VHS then you will need to buy and interface to be able to record the video to your HDD, however if it is a MiniDV them most MiniDV camcorders come with a USB connection, which will allow you to load it straight to the disk.
Hope this helps

Bill

#274495 - 10/26/09 11:57 AM Re: Splitting a video
Beakybird Offline

The video is on a DVD. When I open the DVD on my computer, the DVD just plays, but when I explore the DVD it has two Folders: A folder called "Audio" that is empty.

Then there is a folder named "Video" that has about seven files with three different extensions. One is .bup, the other is .ifo, and the other is .vob. I have no idea what to do as none of these files are recognizeable by my computer.

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 10-26-2009).]

#274496 - 10/26/09 01:22 PM Re: Splitting a video
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Hi Beakybird,
The .VOB file is the movie itself - the other 2 files are data & info files needed to run the movie.

The only program I've come across, which will run a .VOB movie on my computer is Power DVD which is a part of Medion Home Cinema.

This came ready installed on my computer but I would also be interested to learn if any other program can run them (for when I get a new computer).

#274497 - 10/26/09 01:27 PM Re: Splitting a video
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Johnson:
Hi Beakybird,
The .VOB file is the movie itself - the other 2 files are data & info files needed to run the movie.

The only program I've come across, which will run a .VOB movie on my computer is Power DVD which is a part of Medion Home Cinema.

This came ready installed on my computer but I would also be interested to learn if any other program can run them (for when I get a new computer).

So I put the DVD in my computer.

I can just play the movie with Window's Media Player. But how do I edit the movie? If I have a video editing program, which file should I open? The VOB file?

Beakybird

#274498 - 10/26/09 04:49 PM Re: Splitting a video
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Beakybird
You can use a free DVD converter such as http://www.download3000.com/download_55072.html to convert to AVI, and then use the included Microsoft Movie Maker (Assuming you are running Windows Millennium or later) to edit it and convert to a format suitable for web upload.
Hope this helps

Bill

#274499 - 10/26/09 06:25 PM Re: Splitting a video
Anthony Johnson Offline

I've never been able to play .VOB files using Windows Media player - it tries, but puts up a lot of speckling on the screen - not really worth watching.

But, in answer to my own query, for anyone who is interested - I have found that Gom Player (www.gomplayer.com) will play almost every type of video file, including .VOB files.
Unfortunately, there is no editing capability with Gom Player.
Tony

#274500 - 10/26/09 08:34 PM Re: Splitting a video
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Beakybird
You can use a free DVD converter such as http://www.download3000.com/download_55072.html to convert to AVI, and then use the included Microsoft Movie Maker (Assuming you are running Windows Millennium or later) to edit it and convert to a format suitable for web upload.
Hope this helps

Bill

Thank you Bill! I copied and pasted the URL and sent it to my brother in law, who's going to toy around with this and a program to split the file.

I'm glad I posted this thread. The folks here are a big help.

Beakybird

#274501 - 10/27/09 06:43 PM Re: Splitting a video
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Beakybird
If you’re using Windows, then the inbuilt Movie Maker software will do what you require. (Split and convert to a form suitable for the web)
Hope this helps

Bill

I have Windows, and I don't see any program called Movie Maker. Are you sure that that's the name?

Btw, I have the files converted into an AVI file.

Beakybird

#274502 - 10/27/09 07:07 PM Re: Splitting a video
Anthony Johnson Offline

If it isn't shown in The ALL PROGRAMS menu,
you should find it in C:/Program Files.
You can then make a shortcut to it on the desktop.
Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online