SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#269304 - 08/15/09 08:25 AM Big Annoucement!!! (OT)
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Today is a milestone of sorts.

Back in the Spring, yours truly looked down upon his scale and saw the numbers 2-6-0 look back at him. For various reasons, it finally struck that it was time to get serious about my health.

Patty, my Wife and Supreme Ruler, had already started working out on our treadmill. So, we starts walking a mile every night. Then we took it up to 2 miles per day and upwards 5-18 miles per week.

Then the week before Father's Day, I bought us some low end department store bikes to see if cycling was for us. We both really enjoyed it and wound up swapping those cheap bikes for used road bikes. When schedules, parental duties, etc. permit, we're riding upwards of 100-125 miles per week.

Its been great fun because, in large part, we've done it together. Pat's lost 45+ pounds and looks pretty hot!

As for me, after starting at 260+ back in late May...Mr. Scale now looks back and says...

...with a smile...

219.6 pounds! I've worked off over 40 pounds in less than 4 full months. I've really watched what I eat...targeting 1200-1500 calories a day and limiting fat intake.

My goal of 199 by NYE looks very reasonable. There are 19 weeks left until NYE with 19+ pounds to go, so...I need to lose a single pound per week to hit it.

Just felt like tooting my own horn a bit...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#269305 - 08/15/09 08:32 AM Re: Big Annoucement!!! (OT)
Dnj Offline

Congrats...losing it is one thing .....
but a year from now keeping it off is another...good luck.

#269306 - 08/15/09 08:37 AM Re: Big Annoucement!!! (OT)
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Seriously mate, that's unbelievable good work there.
You have every right to be proud of your accomplishments too, both of you.

Congratulations to you both and may the luck of the Irish be with you.

Regards
James from the Emerald Isle

#269307 - 08/15/09 08:48 AM Re: Big Annoucement!!! (OT)
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Bill,

Congratulations !!

DNJ is right to keep it off is the harder part. I'm sure you can do it. The key is constant vigilance.

25 years ago my hobby was eating and drinking( and I don't mean kool aid) I weighed in at 265 pounds. I was also working in the wholesale liquor business and my trunk resembled a bar on wheels. Based on some nasty blood test results and some other jackpots I changed my life style. No booze and a radical change in my diet. Exercise has become as routine as brushing my teeth each day. If I don't exercise in the form of some pretty intense aerobic exercise the pounds start creeping back up. I've generally been able to keep my below 195 since then and have actually been as low as 175 during the years when I was training for marathons and short distance triathlons. Just keep the excercise going. It's hard work especially those cold dark winter mornings, it's a lot easier to stay in bed than jump on the treadmill or hit the gym.

#269309 - 08/15/09 09:18 AM Re: Big Annoucement!!! (OT)
Dnj Offline

#269310 - 08/15/09 09:23 AM Re: Big Annoucement!!! (OT)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The bike thing is the answer, Bill. If you do an exercise for the enjoyment of it, rather than a chore to keep yourself lighter, it's likely to remain a part of your life for a long time. But winter is coming...

Do you have something that the both of you enjoy that you can do indoors, through the winter? (Wipe that smirk off your faces, guys! ) Maybe squash, or badminton, indoor tennis, basically anything to keep you interested and active rather than rote exercise?

#269311 - 08/15/09 12:06 PM Re: Big Annoucement!!! (OT)
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

When you get down to 185 I have some tuxedos that you can pick up at a good price.

Congratulations my friend,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#269312 - 08/15/09 04:25 PM Re: Big Annoucement!!! (OT)
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hey Bill - congratulations! Great work on both of your parts! I know it was hard work but I am sure you both are very happy with the difference in your looks and the way you feel! Keep up the great work!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#269313 - 08/15/09 05:30 PM Re: Big Annoucement!!! (OT)
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
ATTABOY!
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#269314 - 08/16/09 07:42 PM Re: Big Annoucement!!! (OT)
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Bill, you know how proud and envious I am of you. You have done a fantastic job, and if you never lose another pound it is still something to be very proud of. Keeping it off will always be the challenge, but I think you have the personality and self control to do it. With all the other crap going on in your life, I'm surprised you haven't gained 20. You are my weight idol! Keep it going, good pal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online