SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#267304 - 07/07/09 07:14 PM Have any of you.....
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... ever turned down a gig because you didn't think you were the right person for it ...
This past week I got a gig through an agent for a house party - a 50th birthday party - he told me they wanted 'upbeat, lively' music ... so I contact the client and find out she wants 4 hours of deck/bar music - 70's through the 90's ... after thinking about it for a while (and going through my library) I called the agent back and told him I didn't have enough of a library of those tunes to do the gig ... he ended up getting a guitar player/singer who had a rock band in the 80's ...
Have any of you had something similar in any venue? ...

PS ... the client called the agent to book the music only two days before the gig, so I wouldn't even have had time to get enough tunes ready ...

t.

#267305 - 07/07/09 07:21 PM Re: Have any of you.....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tony..it is a smart move to pass on a gig..if it does not feel right for you..

Of course, make sure we understand the music they are requesting...It may not be as represented , ask more questions..many times we are more in tune with their needs than first thought ...

And agents/managers don't help..they often misplace acts...

#267306 - 07/07/09 07:54 PM Re: Have any of you.....
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
...was there any music in the 90's?

#267307 - 07/07/09 08:20 PM Re: Have any of you.....
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Tony..it is a smart move to pass on a gig..if it does not feel right for you..

Of course, make sure we understand the music they are requesting...It may not be as represented , ask more questions..many times we are more in tune with their needs than first thought ...

And agents/managers don't help..they often misplace acts...

I had done some work for an agent in the 90's and he sent me on a job that he said required some background music before and during dinner. He told me I didn't need my OMB setup, just a piano.

After I got to the job, the guy in charge said he wanted me to play classic rock for the dinner hour, and then really rock out after that. Enough said. I don't do gigs for that agent anymore since he sold me down the river.

Bottom line, be careful!

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#267308 - 07/07/09 08:38 PM Re: Have any of you.....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Performing (entertaining) are really different today...

No matter what the venue is today..I can switch gears...I can do the stuff I love..40's , 50's , 60's.. (the real music)..playing/singing, or at least selling the songs...If I get throw-ed a curve..I am Mr DJ (laptop loaded with Billboard top 100 from 40's- Today's top songs)....Including a lot of material..I hate, but the show will go on...

#267309 - 07/07/09 09:31 PM Re: Have any of you.....
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Performing (entertaining) are really different today...

No matter what the venue is today..I can switch gears...I can do the stuff I love..40's , 50's , 60's.. (the real music)..playing/singing, or at least selling the songs...If I get throw-ed a curve..I am Mr DJ (laptop loaded with Billboard top 100 from 40's- Today's top songs)....Including a lot of material..I hate, but the show will go on...

Don't get me wrong, I can do the music, but not when I've been sold down the river by an asshole agent. I guess that's why I've done all my own booking in the last 12 years.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#267310 - 07/08/09 04:18 AM Re: Have any of you.....
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Yeap, I won't do un-sweet sixteens! Those damn kids drive me nuts, they come up ask for song after song. you play what they ask for than another kid comes up and asked to change the song because they happen not to like that particular song. NEVER AGAIN!! I'll stick to older folks, much easier.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 07-08-2009).]

#267311 - 07/08/09 06:14 AM Re: Have any of you.....
zuki Offline

Time stands still behind a keyboard when in the wrong venue. I say good move. No one needs that aggravation. I find it hard to believe some can play ALL venues.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#267312 - 07/08/09 06:26 AM Re: Have any of you.....
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I find I walk away from a few club offers every year after talking with the booker. Usually I've been referred to them so they're ready to give me the dates but I need to know more about their club before I agree.

If there's a history of dancing and a slightly older crowd...I'll usually take it on and it usually works out.

The clubs where there is no dancing, they want hard core modern country or hard rock...I pass on.

Could I...could anyone...work up a dj/mp3 thing for such gigs? Sure...it really wouldn't be that hard but I'm not interested in it.

As I've said before, next year I'm looking at making major changes to my overall business with regard to how I book myself, what type venues, the band, etc. The criteria for everything moving forward is personal fullfillment, profitability and quality.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#267313 - 07/08/09 07:03 AM Re: Have any of you.....
124 Offline

Ditto, Bill.

I ALWAYS scope out a venue before I accept anything. This stems from one incident where an agent, whom I've since abandoned, set up a gig at a lounge. I wasn't familiar with the area and when I arrived and was about to unload my gear, some jerk in a pick-up drives through the front window and all hell breaks loose. That was it. I never even opened the trunk of my van and was outta there.

Of course, you can't 'scope out' with private functions, but you try to glean as much info as possible up front.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online