SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#263077 - 05/11/09 09:22 PM Destructive midi
Beakybird Offline

I have a Casio PX-800 digital piano attached to an audio interface with midi ins and outs.

Quite often, when I use the PX-800 as a midi input in Sonar and I try to record a performance using the PX-800, I get an error message in Sonar that it has to shut down. I would think that it is the audio interface (a Focusrite Saffire LE), but I had the same problem with a cheap midi usb cable.

What midi message or other message could my digital piano be sending Sonar that would be causing it to shut down? I don't know what to do to be able to record my piano performance.

Beakybird

#263078 - 05/12/09 04:28 AM Re: Destructive midi
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Regrettably I've got no real idea but can you change the settings on the Casio so that it only sends out midi note data and nothing else?

#263079 - 05/12/09 08:31 AM Re: Destructive midi
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
You might want to call Casio and see if they can help you out with your issue Larry. Make sure your cables are good. A faulty cable or cable(s) could possibly be the culprit and it is a cheap fix if that's all it is. I wouldn't suspect it would be your audio interface, especially if you've recorded previously without any problems.

Is this a new problem or a recurring thing? In other words, has it happened in the past under different circumstances i.e. with different Gear or has it been limited to the PX-800? You have to make sure that the Casio is setup properly to send and receive midi correctly. Also, in Sonar you need to make sure you are recording to "midi" tracks and not to 'audio' tracks. Hope this helps.

All the best,
Mike

#263080 - 05/12/09 10:12 AM Re: Destructive midi
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
You might want to call Casio and see if they can help you out with your issue Larry. Make sure your cables are good. A faulty cable or cable(s) could possibly be the culprit and it is a cheap fix if that's all it is. I wouldn't suspect it would be your audio interface, especially if you've recorded previously without any problems.

Is this a new problem or a recurring thing? In other words, has it happened in the past under different circumstances i.e. with different Gear or has it been limited to the PX-800? You have to make sure that the Casio is setup properly to send and receive midi correctly. Also, in Sonar you need to make sure you are recording to "midi" tracks and not to 'audio' tracks. Hope this helps.

All the best,
Mike

Problem occurred with usb to midi y cables and with the audio interface that has midi ins and outs.

I am recording midi tracks. 1/4 of the time I'm able to finish a song and save it. 3/4 of the time, Sonar shuts down.

I tried filtering out sys ex and key aftertouch messages in Sonar to see if that helped. It didn't.

Beakybird

#263081 - 05/12/09 11:08 AM Re: Destructive midi
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Call Cakewalk. They have excellent customer support and will solve your problem. I have been using Cakewalk since version 1 on 5" real floppies and never had an issue Calkwalk could not finid and/or resolve.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#263082 - 05/12/09 02:56 PM Re: Destructive midi
Beakybird Offline

I called Cakewalk. I think they solved the problem by having me adjust buffers and uncheck cachet data.

Thanks for telling me to take that logical step. I'm used to getting such poor tech support from companies, that I hesitate to even try calling.

Beakybird

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online