SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#261823 - 04/20/09 12:14 AM Tyros 1 Question: Sudden Reboot
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
Hi,

I was playing a gig last night and playing over a MIDI files and suddenly the T1 keyboard re-booted...

Any ideas as to why? I was plugged directly into a wall AC socket with a spike protector.

#261824 - 04/20/09 03:58 AM Re: Tyros 1 Question: Sudden Reboot
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
What exactly were your hands doing when it rebooted?

It sounds like the power source was interrupted somehow. I would closely check your ac power chord at both ends and the inlet itself. Also what type condition was the wall outlet in? If the chord wasn't pushed securely in deep enough, and you were playing at a reasonably loud volume, its possible vibration just broke the contact enough to bring it all down...Doesn't take much...

What were you playing, or where you changing any of your three instrument choices and/or mini pads?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 04-20-2009).]

#261825 - 04/20/09 09:09 AM Re: Tyros 1 Question: Sudden Reboot
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
The same happened on one of my 3Ks. I checked all the external connections and even changed power supplies. The board would just intermittently shut off and reboot while I was playing. (Fortunately it happened during an afternoon set up for a night job and I put my back-up to work.)

I took the problem board to an authorized repair guy. He set it up and ran midi files through it for several hours and could not duplicate the problem.

I gave him the go-ahead to open it up and check all connections and solder joints. He said he found no problems, but re-soldered quite a few of the joints anyway.

It worked.....for about a year. Then, it happened again. Just once. Since then, I can not get the problem board to re-create the problem.

Eddie

#261826 - 04/20/09 11:56 AM Re: Tyros 1 Question: Sudden Reboot
TP123 Offline

Hi

Thanks so much for responding... out here in the islands its sort of out of sight outa mind.

Wow... I'm not sure how to proceed. It would be a significant cost to ship it to the big Y in cali and the local authorized shop went under about 6 months ago.

Bill --- (do you still do the Small gig web site?) as I recall I was just playing some cords over a MIDI file... but come to think of it I -might- have been changing drum kits.

We're a bass,guitar keys trio... I was straight into the wall which may have been my first mistake. At the end of my power cord I have a i plug spike protector as power out here is pretty wacky anyway. But I should have gone into my rack ryder power supply for a little cleaner feed.

Also I've beatten the hell outta this board and been all over the world with it in a ATA hard shell pro grade case... could I have shaken something loose? I have turned the board on this weekend and had it on playing one file after another for 5 hours with no problems.

Eddie... that's exactly what occured. And being in the middle of a upbeat tune with a full dance floor... I was lucky in that my bass player took the cue and did a solo!

But that said this can never happen again... One idea we discussed was to transfer the MIDI files to a iPod and then play over those. The files would play as audio with all the insturments minus the bass and guitar, We use our arrangements mostly for the horn parts. I also don't want the hassel of carrying two KBs and even if I did the problem would be the _playback_ of the arrangment... right?

We have a gig in front of 1000 people at the end of the month and I need to find a solution before I loose my mind.

Is this a know issue with other Tyros 1 units? Is a T2 or T3 more realiable?

Ever use one of those small MIDI playback units? Who makes 'em?

Thanks very very much

Tom

#261827 - 04/20/09 12:56 PM Re: Tyros 1 Question: Sudden Reboot
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Tom
The first time my 3K shut down and rebooted I was not playing a midi file. However, I was playing a 3rd party style. There was some talk at the time that a corrupted file (either mid or sty) might be the culprit.

There has been no evidence since that any of the files I use are corrupted and cause of the problem.

However...you pose an interesting idea about moving your .mid files to another player. If you use a computer on your gigs, you certainly could play them back there...OR... convert them to MP3s for playback.

I am following your saga with interest. Good luck.

Eddie

#261828 - 04/20/09 01:14 PM Re: Tyros 1 Question: Sudden Reboot
TP123 Offline

Thanks...

I hope some of the pros here will weigh in.

Aloha
Tom

#261829 - 04/20/09 01:30 PM Re: Tyros 1 Question: Sudden Reboot
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Personally, I would go for an MP3 player for backup... if you go to a different SMF player, you will have VERY different sounds, lose all your Mega voice sheen, and probably have to re-balance and -voice all your files.

Stick to what you are comfortable with, IMO...

#261830 - 04/20/09 01:32 PM Re: Tyros 1 Question: Sudden Reboot
jwyvern Offline

If Computers work hard and the processor gets "too" hot that can be a cause for rebooting. Is it possible ambient conditions were unusally hot at that gig, or perhaps airflow was restricted at a time when the Tyros was working hard?
Not suggesting that HAS to be the reason but by analogy perhaps it could be relevant to bear in mind and look out for or guard against.

John

#261831 - 04/20/09 01:52 PM Re: Tyros 1 Question: Sudden Reboot
TP123 Offline

NOPE air conditioner was on...

Next gig is out doors in May so...

ALSO: good point on needing to revoice.

But does not someone make a little MIDI file player that would just play back the files.

What do you guys think about the iPod approach?

Tom

#261832 - 04/20/09 03:35 PM Re: Tyros 1 Question: Sudden Reboot
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Hey Tom-

That was a different Bill who ran the smallgigs website. I have it on reliable authority that he's independently wealthy now and doesn't need the headache of running a message board for musicians...

I played the T1 for about 3 years then have used the T2 for the last 3 or so. The T1 did something similar I think once...

The T2 also rebooted once when I was changing solo voice selections on the fly. Never happened before, never since...

I would go to a mp3 player as well, if not just a laptop. Yes, it will likely change the essence of your act, but might remove the fear factor.

On the other hand, don't mp3 players also act funky sometimes?

Good luck!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online