SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#261116 - 04/07/09 08:46 AM What and where WON'T you play?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I've always been pretty picky when it comes to where I play:

* No private jobs for businesses/organizations that use unethical practices. That includes some investment firms, law offices, a few manufacturers and others.

* No establishments where there are frequent fights. A "country" country club around here is # 1 on the list.

* No nursing homes for reasons I've already explained.

* No places where the clientel likes/wants country or Buffet music.

* No places where the help in mistreated.

* No public places that draw the undesirable element of the community. Some of these places are high dollar and the clientel has "cash-no class".

* No places with restaurants with sanitation problems.

* Other places, depending on the mood I'm in.

I don't make all of my living playing. If I did, I probably wouldn't be so picky.

I'm also opinionated as hell, and haven't really had to look for work for years. I limit jobs to 5 a week; several in the daytime; usually of an hour duration.

What about you?

"Crotchety" ole Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 04-07-2009).]

#261117 - 04/07/09 09:05 AM Re: What and where WON'T you play?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No places where smoking is allowed.
DonM

#261118 - 04/07/09 09:17 AM Re: What and where WON'T you play?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
No bars/taverns.

No outdoor gigs.

No nursing homes.

Ian

#261119 - 04/07/09 11:52 AM Re: What and where WON'T you play?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
No bars/taverns.

No outdoor gigs.

No nursing homes.

Ian

Ian, I love the outdoor gigs....People are there to have a good time, it is always a casual atmosphere, always great looking girls..

Why, do you dislike the outdoors?

I understand , weather conditions come into play, and wind could be a factor with those plastic keyboards.. ..and maybe sun glare on those hard to see screens....Did I miss anything?

Smoke-free is a given for me...We finally got the message through, and do not have to put up with that reek anymore...

#261120 - 04/07/09 12:08 PM Re: What and where WON'T you play?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

I understand , weather conditions come into play, and wind could be a factor with those plastic keyboards.. ..and maybe sun glare on those hard to see screens....Did I miss anything?

Nope, you didn't miss a thing, bud.

#261121 - 04/07/09 12:42 PM Re: What and where WON'T you play?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Know what you mean, Ian. Played an outside job 14 summers. got rained on, burnt up, blown all over the place. Plus, drunks kicked over equipment. One time, a kid actually pulled a Pa speaker into the pool.

Not a big fan of outdoor gigs. Or Bars.

Russ

#261122 - 04/07/09 01:26 PM Re: What and where WON'T you play?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I don't take jobs where there are stairs involved. In fact, I have a lady I need to call back for a party in her home. I did one for her last year and her home is multi level and not air conditioned. The party is in August, so I'll turn that one down.

I also don't do beer joints, places where there are fights, ect. I do higher class parties and the retirement circuit and have more than enough work.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#261123 - 04/07/09 01:58 PM Re: What and where WON'T you play?
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Reading all this, I wonder where you DO play

I've played in bands for many many years, and we played smokey 500-people venues, bars, outdoor-festivals, huge outdoor festivals on muddy soccer fields, got our mixer destroyed by beer accidently being poured in, PA-systems wrecked, instruments ruined by rain... been there, done that. It's what they call "performing", being "out there". Risk of the job.

If you want to control who's coming to watch you play and ensure to a certain level that they will "behave", send invitations to your close friends and set a few chairs in your living room. Geezz...

Insurance and a high enough fee to make sure you can replace your instruments after a year or two heavy use, that's the key if you ask me.

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl
Happy owner of a Roland E-80 V2

#261124 - 04/07/09 02:28 PM Re: What and where WON'T you play?
Dnj Offline

God gave us the gift of music......
you know why?..

Because he wants us to share it!

stop complaining & start sharing.

#261125 - 04/07/09 02:46 PM Re: What and where WON'T you play?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Picture pushing your stuff up a steep ramp to a tiny landing at the second story that is so small you can't turn your RnR cart to get in the door. You have to tie off the cart to keep it from running back down the ramp and carry each piece into the room, reload the cart and drag it to the stage in a dripping sweat.

Now picture the end of the job and doing it all in reverse. Load the cart, drag to the exit, unload cart, tie cart on tiny landing, reload cart, untie it and try not to let it drag you and your stuff down the ramp at break neck speed.

But wait...it gets better. Just as you hit the bottom of the ramp, picture the lawn sprinklers coming on drenching you and your gear.

I won't play that place......again.

Eddie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online