SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#259116 - 03/07/09 08:45 AM ot/....Do you unplug all electronics in your house when not in use?.....
Dnj Offline

#259117 - 03/07/09 09:34 AM Re: ot/....Do you unplug all electronics in your house when not in use?.....
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
I have to say that I don't unplug things at all at night.

If you take a typical Satellite Receiver, ours spends 30% of it's life in Standby mode.

24 Hours X 365 Days = 8760 hours
30% standby time of 8760 hours = 2628 Hours
Power usage in Standby mode = 3 watts per hour at a cost of 18.61c per Unit.

Which means it will costs me 66 cent a month to leave it plugged in.

lol... for the sake of not having to plug in 365 times and out 365 times a year, I'll gladly pay the 66 cent a month.

Regards.
James.

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 03-07-2009).]

#259118 - 03/07/09 09:44 AM Re: ot/....Do you unplug all electronics in your house when not in use?.....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Powering up and powering down is generally the most stressful time for electronic components. Although you MIGHT think you are being green unplugging and re-plugging all that stuff (or just switching it off and on!), all it takes is for one of them to fail, and you have now lost any advantage you might have slowly garnered, because you have to go and buy something new, which has a MUCH larger footprint than the little power you used in standby...

It ain't easy being green...

#259119 - 03/07/09 09:57 AM Re: ot/....Do you unplug all electronics in your house when not in use?.....
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
If a thunderstorm are on the way, yes.
If going away from home, yes.
If not intended to use for a while, yes.
Otherwise, it's remain plugged in the wallconnectors, but switch/turn off power if not in use.

Anyway, some say it's more damaging for the electronic equipment
to turn on and off all the time, then leave it powered on.
But to leave it on don't make me a green powersaver, does it?

GJ

Btw, if every household in the world save 66 cents a month, just put it
into my bankaccount, I'm sure it would grow to a couple of dollars...
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#259120 - 03/07/09 12:23 PM Re: ot/....Do you unplug all electronics in your house when not in use?.....
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
I turn off my computer from time to time, but most of the time is on.............thursday morning I turned off my desktp in the afternoon i tried to turn it on and it did not work, power supply I'm guessing.

ANd yes I heard about it before, that if you turn your computer on and off evreyday its very stressful on your power supply, NOW I KNOW!!!

[This message has been edited by ViLo (edited 03-07-2009).]

#259121 - 03/07/09 02:58 PM Re: ot/....Do you unplug all electronics in your house when not in use?.....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I turn off the smoke alarm when nothing's burning. Also the burglar alarm when no one is breaking in. I'm now contemplating turning off the stove when I'm not cooking. Just trying to do my part to be 'green'.

chas

#259122 - 03/07/09 08:31 PM Re: ot/....Do you unplug all electronics in your house when not in use?.....
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
cue music ... "It's not easy being green ... "

t.

#259123 - 03/07/09 08:32 PM Re: ot/....Do you unplug all electronics in your house when not in use?.....
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
PS ... what Gunnar said ...
t.

#259124 - 03/07/09 08:36 PM Re: ot/....Do you unplug all electronics in your house when not in use?.....
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Gunnar Jonny,
Based on considerable experience in electonic engineering...and 49 years in Ham Radio (you know, antennas sticking up 100 feet etc) ...I agree with your approach completely. Well said.

Unless you have a 'whole house' surge and lightning protection system...unplug any electronics if a storm is comming.

I turn off most equipment if I am not going to use it for a few hours or more...other wise I leave it on. I leave my computers on all the time so anti-virus and OS updates come down regularly. If a storm is comming, off it goes & unplugged. Be sure to unplug all telephone lines as well, whether they go to your computer, router, DSL, fax, or satelitte rcvr.!

Lee S.

#259125 - 03/07/09 10:18 PM Re: ot/....Do you unplug all electronics in your house when not in use?.....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Here in the lightning capitol of the US, I don't have a single sensitive piece of gear that isn't running off a UPS. Even the cable and phone lines run through these.

So far, so good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online