SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#258856 - 03/04/09 06:17 PM Playback software
Stein67 Offline

Hi folks,

Is there a particular piece of software that is regarded as the "best" for organising and playing back backing tracks for a 3 piece band using a laptop on stage?

Thanks for any advice.

#258857 - 03/04/09 06:18 PM Re: Playback software
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
www.VanBasco.com

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 03-04-2009).]

#258858 - 03/04/09 06:58 PM Re: Playback software
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Stein67:
Hi folks,

Is there a particular piece of software that is regarded as the "best" for organising and playing back backing tracks for a 3 piece band using a laptop on stage?

Thanks for any advice.

What sort of tracks?

#258859 - 03/04/09 07:14 PM Re: Playback software
Stein67 Offline

They are .wav files that we have pre recorded.

#258860 - 03/04/09 07:23 PM Re: Playback software
Dnj Offline

#258861 - 03/04/09 07:27 PM Re: Playback software
miden Offline

Loc: The World
As they are wav files, may I recommend you either convert them to a standard cd format, or into an Mp3? Saving the originals of course. This will give you a wider range to choose from in the player field.

As for the playing of these, I would recommend Winamp, although there are loads that are similar.

Winamp can let you prepare a songlist in any order, and you can manually advance the track.

Plus if you prepare song notes etc, these can also be saved to "album art" which also laods automatically when the song is opened.

But as I said, as they are audio files, there are hundreds of players, just pick one you feel comfortable in using, and does all the tasks you require.

Oh, and Winamp is free (you don't need the pro version). SO you can spend some money on making sure you have a decent audio interface to get your song tracks out to the PA...PLEASE don't rely on the in-built soundcard, they are mostly fine when using earphones, but not for much else. Also if you are using a laptop, get yourself either:
1. a ground isolating device OR
2. a double insulated power supply (they have the 2 box symbol, one box inside the other)

This way you can remove the earth loop noises that are ALWAYS generated by a laptop with a three pin plug, when connected to anything bigger than earbuds.

Dennis

#258862 - 03/04/09 07:29 PM Re: Playback software
Stein67 Offline

Many thanks for the replies and in particular to Dennis for his advice.

Much appreciated.

#258863 - 03/04/09 08:51 PM Re: Playback software
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think I would look for a player that allowed you to store a volume offset and maybe EQ preset with each file... It's tough to make sure that all your .wav's are exactly the same volume and EQ balance when you make them. Being able to adjust them on the gig, and then store that adjustment would strike me as a primary need for the live player...

Will VanBasco do this?

#258864 - 03/04/09 09:00 PM Re: Playback software
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I think I would look for a player that allowed you to store a volume offset and maybe EQ preset with each file... It's tough to make sure that all your .wav's are exactly the same volume and EQ balance when you make them. Being able to adjust them on the gig, and then store that adjustment would strike me as a primary need for the live player...

Will VanBasco do this?

Karawin Pro will do this...about $60

#258865 - 03/04/09 09:16 PM Re: Playback software
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Then the next thing I would look for is a high quality pitch transposer, again storable if you want. Something that doesn't mangle the sound too bad if you drop a tune 1/2 to a whole step to cover a tired voice or any throat problems.

That's the best thing about MIDI... Generally, unless it is huge amounts of transposition, everything sounds fine when you transpose or change tempos. Audio... not so much

What's best for this, Fran?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online