SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#258730 - 03/03/09 11:57 AM A new approach to a house gig...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm starting a new job at an upscale restaurant this week. There is a discussion of me moving from the lounge (with full-service dining)to the patio about May...something I did at the main competitor's place for over 14 years. I'm thinking of using the arranger and nylon string in the lounge and a Midjay and the bass pedals I've had for years on the patio, with a double-neck Ovation (6 and 12 string). I'd work about 1/2 hour at each location and use an Ipod for break tunes.

My first experience with automated music was an Auto-Orchestra, which was an early module. It came with a set of bass pedals. You play the root bass notes with your left foot and use the volume pedal, which has toe and heel switches for minors, 7ths, etc.

I'll do the same thing with the Midjay. Actually, this afternoon, I'll hunt in the warehouse for the Auto Orchestra. When I "decommissioned it", it was still working (about 1985).

A little variety between the two rooms, and still a full sound that no-one else is doing around here. I'll take 5 minutes or so between locations. At this place, sets need to be short to turn the tables anyway, so 1/2 hour sets are often appropriate. If one location has more going on than the other, i can stay there longer. As the night progresses, people migrate from the bar to the patio in the summers anyway. I'll just "follow the croud".

What do you think?

R.

#258731 - 03/03/09 12:06 PM Re: A new approach to a house gig...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sounds like fun...

I must admit, I admire your willingness to use different setups for different gigs. I tend to prefer the ONE thing I am intimately familiar with, no matter what type of gig I'm doing, and that has the advantage that if suddenly, one gig turns into another (say the drummer doesn't turn up) that I have my usual gear around, and can quickly adjust.

But I must admit, it's a LOT of fun sitting in with other people, on other keyboard players' gear, and having to adjust and 'make do' as well...

Oh the choices we have, nowadays!

#258732 - 03/03/09 02:52 PM Re: A new approach to a house gig...
Dnj Offline

Good luck Russ...I know you'll make it all come together !!

#258733 - 03/03/09 03:42 PM Re: A new approach to a house gig...
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Russ,

Sounds like a good setup, not to mention patrons get the chance to listen to differing soundscapes, giving them variety too.

Dennis

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online