SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#253002 - 01/08/09 03:57 PM Attanger vs Workstation
stefano Offline

Loc: Mississauga, Ont Canada
Have spent the last few weeks first looking at Arrangers like Yamaha PSR-S900 but then I got onto Synth Workstations -- as what I do is more creating music (pop, folk new age...) than covering music live. Although live could be a part of the future.

I am very impressed by the Arpeggiators in gear like Korg M50 and they totally unleash the creative juices. I fear than the "Styles" in the arrangers might be too fixed or "middle of the road" for me (no offence to those MOR lovers!)

Can anyone advise the advantages of the arranger over a workstation with a great arpeggiator function? The Korg M50 in addition has an amazing drum track function on top of the Arp.

Thanks to all....

#253003 - 01/08/09 04:04 PM Re: Attanger vs Workstation
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I think you've got a pretty good handle on it...

Arrangers ARE primarily for performing, or creating MOR music. They CAN be forced into other roles, but it's not a great fit, IMO.

If you want to do mostly contemporary musics, use the same thing that you are trying to emulate! You won't hear a single arranger on ANY hit music, but you'll hear WS's all day long...

#253004 - 01/08/09 04:17 PM Re: Attanger vs Workstation
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I found this article pretty interesting and informative.

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/keyboards/professional-keyboards/buying-guide.php

Ian

#253005 - 01/08/09 04:25 PM Re: Attanger vs Workstation
stefano Offline

Loc: Mississauga, Ont Canada
Thanks Ian. I read that article over a month ago but forgot about it

Cheers !

#253006 - 01/09/09 09:53 AM Re: Attanger vs Workstation
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good article Ian. I read it some time ago when it was first published and agree wholeheartedly with the contents.

I'm not going to jump into the arranger v/s workstation foray, though. For me, and for my uses, the arranger is the most versatile piece of musical equipment I've ever come across. I'm confident others will like the workstation better.

Good Luck on your decision,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#253007 - 01/09/09 10:12 AM Re: Attanger vs Workstation
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by stefano:
Have spent the last few weeks first looking at Arrangers like Yamaha PSR-S900 but then I got onto Synth Workstations -- as what I do is more creating music (pop, folk new age...) than covering music live. Although live could be a part of the future.

I am very impressed by the Arpeggiators in gear like Korg M50 and they totally unleash the creative juices. I fear than the "Styles" in the arrangers might be too fixed or "middle of the road" for me (no offence to those MOR lovers!)

Can anyone advise the advantages of the arranger over a workstation with a great arpeggiator function? The Korg M50 in addition has an amazing drum track function on top of the Arp.

Thanks to all....

IMO If you feel competent as an arranger of all the parts of your music a workstation is the way to go. The Arps apparently make that task easier. I have no personal experience with the Arp based Workstations. My last was a Triton. I am looking at getting though as a module because the arranger for me is a great inspiration for new material. But not as easily adapted to a workstation

Take a look at the Korg PA2x. You will get a bit of both.Buy it, Try it for a few weeks , take the 15% hit. Again If you are comfortable around workstations and feel like the ARPs will make up for personal deficiencies with regard to arranging. That's the way to go.

Don't expect miracles form the Vocal aspects of the Arrangers. They are adequate judicially used, but I haven't found any I would use with confidence over a stand alone TC Helicon or Digitech,

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 01-09-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#253008 - 01/09/09 10:28 AM Re: Attanger vs Workstation
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
"Don't expect miracles form the Vocal aspects of the Arrangers. They are adequate judicially used, but I haven't found any I would use with confidence over a stand alone TC Helicon or Digitech, "

Personally I would take the G70 vocal abilities over the aforementioned..

As usual, most folks do not know how to set these boards up properly...

The G70 Neutrik connection, preamp,effects, and harmony controls are as good as they get..

[

#253009 - 01/09/09 10:32 AM Re: Attanger vs Workstation
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Also I would like to offer my opinion of choosing "arps" over the arranger styles..No comparison..the arps are just boring...and the arranger styles allow so much more to work with...

I believe a top of the line arranger keyboard is much more useful than a synth workstation...Had them both..worked with both....and I know what works in the real world..

#253010 - 01/09/09 10:56 AM Re: Attanger vs Workstation
Kingfrog Offline

del

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 01-09-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#253011 - 01/09/09 11:14 AM Re: Attanger vs Workstation
Kingfrog Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kingfrog:
[B]Fran is right If you are going to play live. TOTL Arranger.

If you are going to create your own music and can arrange parts and assemble the tracks using a PC Sequencer, you will find the Workstation far more useful and easier to deal with. More sounds, more opportunity to tweak filters,envelopes, YOU are in control of a lot more aspects of your sound, including, writing and recording the variations beginning and endings to your songs. That's a great thing to be able to do.

Many want to do all of it themselves, I think arrangers can be of great help and a time saver, though as real players are "playing" the sequenced arrangements.

The Arps could be great for guitar parts, synths,contemporay loops, and some horn stuff, The the ARPs are like those found on Multi Pads in Arrangers and will follow your playing. You just need to put them together.

If you are working in a studio environment and Workstations don't generally come with serious mike pre-amps or harmonizers. I am assuming also you have a Large Diaphragm Vocal mike and separate pre amp and will not depend on the Keyboard for those tasks. That's why I made the comment about not using a keyboard for vocal parts.

The Ultimate solution? Buy BOTH. Get a PSR700 for the selective MIDI output of the massive style library available and a Korg M3,Roland, or Yamaha WS for the voices and and convenience of a Workstation in the recording environment.

If you are doing all contemporary music....Workstaion Hands down.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online