SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#252802 - 01/06/09 06:29 PM New Internet Magazine from CSS
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
http://wordpress.createsongstyles.com/

Please visit our new "CSS Magazine" We will be publishing once a month with new articles, featured Artists, news, keyboard reports, and much more..

All are welcome to visit.....

------------------
createsongstyles.com

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#252803 - 01/07/09 11:25 AM Re: New Internet Magazine from CSS
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Cool little concept. You need to be sure to have someone qualified edit content. The magazine needs to "appeal to", not "appease to"...and there are punctuation problems; even in the little lead-ins, awkward structure, etc. Looks great!

I'll be interested in how you do with this...

Good luck!

Russ

#252804 - 01/07/09 01:16 PM Re: New Internet Magazine from CSS

Thanks for the comments Russ.....

I will be the first one to admit, that there will be errors, but the important thing to realize is that, this Magazine is written by a Musician ( not Pro :-) )and is not competing with Professionally done publications. But, it should make for interesting reading.

I have ideas for topics that will interest OMB Musicians.....Such as "a typical day in the life of a OMB Entertainer" or maybe "What a wicked night I had last night"......It will be among those lines....

I can promise you this, this will not be your average typical Magazine...

Thanks again for your comments Russ
Ron

------------------
createsongstyles.com

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#252805 - 01/07/09 02:32 PM Re: New Internet Magazine from CSS
captain Russ Offline

Ron, I guess my point would be, you will be competing in the marketplace for ideas with every other communications vehicle in the field. Your readers will not know that it is not written by professionals, but the advertising department personnel placing ads certainly will. It's an easy thing to get with kids in a journalism class at a nearby university to have a quick edit done. The publication must stand alone, without excusing quality by saying that it is produced by a musician, not a professional journalist. No one will know that in the 32 seconds the first review is done to decide whether to read it or not, and pointing it out could make it look like you're making excuses for a lack of quality.

A successful publication of any kind competes head on, and must meet minimum professional standards to be successful.

I saw some major problems within 10 seconds.
They were basic and easily fixed, but, if I were the media buyer at Roland, for instance, I'd pass on placing ads with the publication.

Sorry for the rant. I have been teaching journalism for years, was a VP of advertising/communications at a Fortune 500 company and do communications work for organizations all around the world, including creating web sites and producing collateral and publications.

I want you to succeed, and will be glad to talk/advise if you'd like. And, please understand that the "rant" above was done in total support of your effort and in no way meant to knock the project or you, personally. Sometimes, a producer gets so close to a complex project that he/she misses the obvious (I know I do, sometimes). The quality of the first issue/rough reflects a lot of dedication, graphics ability and knowledge of the subject.

Best of luck!

Russ

#252806 - 01/07/09 02:35 PM Re: New Internet Magazine from CSS
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Wonderful stuff, Ron...it is great to see a Magazine to go along with your excellent site.

Ian

#252807 - 01/07/09 04:57 PM Re: New Internet Magazine from CSS

Russ

How can I take "offense" to what an established and successful journalist has to say.....I would be very foolish not to take advantage of this offer....

I would feel quite honored if you would critique the site..

Ian

Those were some kind words.....

------------------
createsongstyles.com

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#252808 - 01/07/09 05:30 PM Re: New Internet Magazine from CSS
Dnj Offline

Believe me Russ knows his stuff....
He has helped me graciously with his Journalistic skills in the past of which I am very grateful.

Go for it!

dp

#252809 - 01/08/09 07:49 AM Re: New Internet Magazine from CSS
captain Russ Offline

Actually, Ron, I'm a little envious...always wanted to start a project like yours.

All the best....

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online