SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#250961 - 12/14/08 05:36 PM Report on 1st day using BOSE L1, model 1...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Used the L1, M1 for the for time yesterday. I had three jobs...follows is a description of how I set up and the issues I encountered along the way...

Gig #1: DAR Holiday Gathering at a local Country Club...Medium size banquet room of a country club...Small audience of about 25 seated about 40 feet in front of me...I'm running my Tyros 2 and senn 855s into my Yamaha 212s box mixer...Running 1/4" lines from the main outs on the front of the amp into channels 1 and 2

Gig #2: Xmas Party at area Retirement Community...Roughly 150 split off to the far left and far right of the room...(no guests in front of us)...also, we're in a small cubby hole section of the room, that also has a low ceiling that slopes downward just above our head. No real option for us to be anywhere else...Ran my Tyros 2 and senn 855s vox into the Yamaha emx 212s amp...Guitarist/Vocalist both mic'ed with a Sure sm 58 also into the emx...

Volume throughout the room was appropriate, even and clear...

We struggled with feedback most of the 2 hours, I'm sure because we we so jammed on top of this thing. There was no room to move it any further away whatsoever...We had some relief by killing all mics on an as needed basis...(If it wasn't being used for that song, it got muted...)

That said, it sounded pretty good...

Gig #3: 3 hour lounge entertainment for roughly 150 in an Elks Club...Working as a solo...I tried a different set up configuration. I did not use any external box amp this time. I ran my Tyros 2 into channels 3/4 of the L1, M1...I ran my senn 855s mic via mono into channel 1 of the power stand.

Honestly, it sounded like crap...

After the end of my 1st set...(thankfully all background instrumental) I set the system up like I had at the 1st gig at the country club. I would've preferred to be set up at the end of the room, but they wanted me against the wall. The room was quite long...but with the way they wanted me to set up, there was maybe 50 ft from the wall behind to the opposing wall. (Still, a million times better than at the retirement community!) This room also had pretty high ceilings.

Once I adjusted the rig back to my original set up using the yamaha box amp, running into channels 1/2...it sounded like heaven!

That said, I do hear a difference in my Tyros 2, but mainly in the upper octaves. It sounds thinner and tinkier than I'm used to. That should be improved upon with some attention the the eq's on its channel fomr the boxamp.

I was also hearing things differently and more clearly from the Tyros 2. I could swear I was noticing more subtle parts I'd been missing with the old conventional PA I used...

All in all, Day one was both a learning experience and a success in some of the most sub-optimal conditions I ever work in...

Life is good!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-14-2008).]

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-14-2008).]

#250962 - 12/14/08 06:51 PM Re: Report on 1st day using BOSE L1, model 1...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I wish you lived closer so I could help you get things to sound the way you want. Unfortunately, this time of year a drive to your neighborhood is out of the question. On a good summer day it's a 14-hour drive.

It will take some tinkering, but I'm confident you will soon get everything sounding great.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#250963 - 12/14/08 10:09 PM Re: Report on 1st day using BOSE L1, model 1...
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Bill,
I will play my first gig Tuesday with the Bose for about 100 folks in a rather large room. I have been playing now for 2 days with the Bose and my T3 and have gotten comfortable with making changes on the remote. I will not put the PAS behind me because I just don't like it tht way - I will try with it beside me next to my keyboard. At home I can hear it very well there. Like you I have also notice quite a change in the sound of styles - takes some getting used to. I'll post my results here after the gig.

Hammer

#250964 - 12/15/08 05:02 AM Re: Report on 1st day using BOSE L1, model 1...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
When I first got my Bose before I did anything I set it up in the livingroom and played with all the adjustments. Then I walked around the house to check out the sound and see what made a difference.
Then I set it up in the basement.
Then I set it up in the garage.
Then I did the same outside. By that time I had a pretty good idea what it would do.

Of course I had the luxury of time and good weather on my side.

#250965 - 12/15/08 05:36 AM Re: Report on 1st day using BOSE L1, model 1...
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I have to chime in about the running 2 channels,

when the Tyros 2 has left and right abouts used it will create stereo effects, also take advantages of the stereo samples, but if you sum left and right wouldn't that create phase cancellations, which in turn will hurt some of the sounds, yeah sure some sounds will be fine, but most that use some type of chorus or ambient stereo reverb will knock it self out.

do some research on phase cancellations and you'll see what I mean.,

I'm sure Yamaha thought someone would use it in mono and to set it up to work accordingly when plugged into left/mono out.

Also if you are using a mixing board and running that stereo your doing the same thing to that, in turn will probably create some of the hot feedback frequency's you are getting.

I have 4 of the Bose system which I use anywhere from 1 - 4 according to the players I'm with.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#250966 - 12/15/08 11:38 AM Re: Report on 1st day using BOSE L1, model 1...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Most of the Yamaha players I've talked with claim they have no issues with phase cancellation. My hearing is shot to hell, so I couldn't hear it if it was a problem.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#250967 - 12/15/08 11:42 AM Re: Report on 1st day using BOSE L1, model 1...
Dnj Offline

simple record a piano song in Stereo and same in Mono... listen to see if you think there is Phase cancellation loss.

I personally prefer a full stereo sound.

#250968 - 12/15/08 12:21 PM Re: Report on 1st day using BOSE L1, model 1...
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I agree, a full stereo sound is beatiful, but you can't get that from 1 Bose, you need 2.

#250969 - 12/15/08 12:55 PM Re: Report on 1st day using BOSE L1, model 1...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
I agree, a full stereo sound is beatiful, but you can't get that from 1 Bose, you need 2.

Exactly Frank....one pole wasn't enough for me either not to mention all the pieces to the puzzle I had to carry using two systems ....although many enjoy it ...
It just wasn't a good fit for my needs.

enjoy

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-15-2008).]

#250970 - 12/16/08 08:43 PM Re: Report on 1st day using BOSE L1, model 1...
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bill,
Tonight I played my first gig with my Bose L1. My setup is very simple - one Tyros 3 keyboard run directly into Chans 1 and 2 of the Bose and a Crown mic run through the keyboard. I place the tower right next to my keyboard - not behind me. Tonight I ended up with about 200 people in a packed room and lots of noise. I used preset 55 with my Tyros EQ'd. The really interesting thing about tonight was the sound level of the Bose. I run the remote controls at 12 O'clock with the mid-level control at 11 O'Clock because the mids seem a little hot to me. I run the remote master vol at 9 O'clock and never had to change it tonight.

During the gig I wasn't sure if the folks in the back could hear or not but no one complained so I didn't change anything. I did do a sound check before the gig - but the room was empty so I wasn't sure about the sound level with the room full.

After the gig I asked the people right up front(about 4 feet away) and several people in the back and all of them said the sound was perfect and they could hear very well. The PAS seemed to handle the situation very well and what is even neater is the sound at the keyboard did not have to be overwhelming.

I have found the Bose PAS very simple to use and setup and with the help of a few forum friends very easy to get to sound the way I like it. Looks like a real winner for me.

Hammer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online