SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#250534 - 12/08/08 08:32 AM motif XS6 or XS7
parsen Offline

Loc: Staten island, NY,US
if I go for the XS6 ,what will I miss other than the XTRA keys..?

I will use for home-studio and small GIGS.. sampling / sequencing and try to learn a few of other vast options this board has to offer.

is the flexibility of using 76 over 61 outweigh the price difference ?

I won't use it for ' one -man band'.. rather I will be a part of a band.

is it more prudent to go for the XS7 , or XS6 would just suffice ?

also a common question to all... do u prefer motif xs6 0r XS7 ?

#250535 - 12/08/08 08:38 AM Re: motif XS6 or XS7
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Only difference is the number of keys..., which then translates into difference in size and weight too. The one you choose will depend on your playing needs. Do you play a lot of piano...., if so you might feel restricted with 61 keys. In situations like this where the only main difference is the number of keys you have to look at YOUR playing needs. Personally.., as I like to play piano If it were up to me and I had the funds I'd buy the 76 key version, but that's for my needs. Many get along just fine with 61 keys.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-08-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#250536 - 12/08/08 12:18 PM Re: motif XS6 or XS7
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you are playing with a band, in all likelihood you ARE going to need to play a proper two handed piano part on at least a FEW tunes... Yes, you CAN get away with a 61, but it's a huge compromise for piano playing. 76 has been my preferred type of key-bed for decades. Big enough for the majority of piano parts, a fraction of the weight of an 88, and still usable for organ parts, which a wooden 88, IMO, is not...

Also, take into consideration that as a band keyboardist, you will also be likely to need splits (piano lower, brass upper, pad lower, synth solo upper, etc.) and a 61 gives you a lot less to work with there. Unless you want to haul around a stack of 61's, a single 76 gives you the best opportunity to cover all the bases with the minimum of gear. The true arranger player, usually simply using a small area in the lower to trigger the accompaniment, doesn't have the same need for the LH area to be significant. But if you are band playing, it's a LOT more important.

I would go with the 76 every time...

#250537 - 12/08/08 02:23 PM Re: motif XS6 or XS7
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
when I have a choice...the only choice is 76 keys..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online