SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#249957 - 11/30/08 01:43 PM Preferred vocal settings for T2 harmonizer...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Guys- (er, gary?)

I am leaning more and more towards buying a tower PA system (Bose, Fishman, etc..) and if I can route my vocal through my T2, which I know I can do, AND get the on board harmonizer to sound good...I can make my life and setup much easier...

I use a Sennheiser 855e vocal mic...I also have a big voice...

I've tried using the harmonizer on the Tyros 1 and the PSR 3000...I adjusted the settings per several people suggestions and it wasn't acceptable...it was clipping and distorted much of the time...

Before I make the leap to a new PA system, I'd really like to try and make the on board harmonizer on my T2 work like Yamaha intended...

All suggestions, ideas, help, will be appreciated as always...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#249958 - 11/30/08 02:47 PM Re: Preferred vocal settings for T2 harmonizer...
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Bill,
On the site of Michel Voncken you can find a
VH workshop (in German) and a screenshot of his settings.
Look>> http://www.michelvoncken.com/pages/downloads.php

Regards,
Impuls

#249959 - 11/30/08 02:50 PM Re: Preferred vocal settings for T2 harmonizer...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

There is an outstanding lesson on the PSR Tutorial site posted by BIG741 that provides step by step information on how to make the vocal processor sound really good. Plus there are some outstanding demos of this posted there as well. Check it out.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#249960 - 12/02/08 08:05 AM Re: Preferred vocal settings for T2 harmonizer...
Bill in Dayton Offline

gary-

Do you have a direct link to the harmonizer tutorial from big741 you spoke highly of? I've searched through the site but can't find it...

Thanks,

Bill

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#249961 - 12/02/08 09:03 AM Re: Preferred vocal settings for T2 harmonizer...
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada

#249962 - 12/02/08 09:07 AM Re: Preferred vocal settings for T2 harmonizer...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Thank you kind sir!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#249963 - 12/03/08 09:13 PM Re: Preferred vocal settings for T2 harmonizer...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The best way to sound good vocally with a T2 is to BYPASS the internal mic input. Get a nice add on unit, set the mic input to LINE and use the outboard unit.
Just my personal advice.Yamaha mic sections are not up the the standard that the rest of the kb is.

#249964 - 12/03/08 09:42 PM Re: Preferred vocal settings for T2 harmonizer...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The secret to e.q.ing the 855 is that it needs VERY LITTLE e.q. I used it successfully on both Tyros 2 and S900. You will probably have to roll off the bass band a little, and leave the mids and top flat.
I have no problem at all with the vocal processing on the Yammies, but the harmonizer is very sensitive and must be adjusted quite a bit. Roll the harmony voice back to 70 percent or so. Most of the garbled harmonies come from too much bass e.q. on the mic. It's never going to sound like a really good harmonizer can, but you CAN work with it, as I have done ever since they started putting them in, beginning with PSR 800.
It's very easy to fall into the old analog habit of using the smiley face e.q. The new digital stuff rarely needs that radical e.q.
DonM

#249965 - 12/03/08 09:54 PM Re: Preferred vocal settings for T2 harmonizer...
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
The best way to sound good vocally with a T2 is to BYPASS the internal mic input. Get a nice add on unit, set the mic input to LINE and use the outboard unit.
Just my personal advice.Yamaha mic sections are not up the the standard that the rest of the kb is.

Have to agree. Even with the settings and suggestions the harmonies don;t stand up to the rest of the board's quality sounds. Pony up for a TC-M and run it through the Yamaha or direct.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#249966 - 12/04/08 06:24 AM Re: Preferred vocal settings for T2 harmonizer...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Have to agree. Even with the settings and suggestions the harmonies don;t stand up to the rest of the board's quality sounds. Pony up for a TC-M and run it through the Yamaha or direct.

Bill already bought a TC Harmony M....tried it with results that didnt work for him.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/018223.html

All Yamaha units that have VH need big inrovements it is the least attended weak point of all their arrangers through the years for sure aside from the MFD. Especially when the other BIG 3 competition have much improved them both on their models.
With MUCH tweaking at low volumes it could be made to sought of work very delicately with tracking at a minimum in real time usage. By shutting off the vibrato, lowering VH:lead ratio to 15%, rear gain knob to 9Oclock, EQ & a few other changes you can have a gimicky VH sound at best compared to quality units like Tc Helicon or Digitec, etc, lets face it certain features are just there to entice buyers...although Yamaha has many great features re: sound/styles, etc, the VH is Not one of them plain & simple. If your a REAL lead singer you'll know what I mean. On a 1-10 scale Yamaha VH is a 5 at best. Don't be fooled.
Once you use the above mentioned brands you'll never go back if your serious about singing. At least there are good alternatives you can use coupled with your Yamaha unit.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-05-2008).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online