Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#249603 - 11/28/08 12:28 AM FantomG update
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida

#249604 - 11/28/08 05:38 AM Re: FantomG update
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Yeah, I've already upgraded the OS and installed a 1Gb memory; loads really fast. I still haven't scratched the surface but like what I've seen so far. A few warts remain, even after this update, but overall, a very nice board.

For the record, for gigging and the way most of the people on this board use synths (especially the 'pro's'), I would recomend the 76 key JUNO STAGE over this board and use the savings for some lessons or a down payment on a Nord C1 or Electro 3 .

As Donny often points out (and I agree with), for gigging, ease of navigation is very important and unless you carefully set this board up ahead of time, using the rather well-implemented PAD system, this is NOT the most intuitive board in the world. I guess it is just too complex to just 'hit something and play'. A dream in the studio, though.

You may have to leave that warm Florida sunshine and come up and help me find that elusive SUPER PIANO. The 'out of the box' piano's are ALMOST there, but to my ears, not quite as full (compressor?) or expressive as a couple of examples I've heard you coax out of the G70 (it's got to be the tweaking).

Anyhoo, N.O. is still on the spring agenda for me and (hopefully) Russ. It would be a real blast if you could join us (along with any other Synthzoners that might wish to visit Musicians Village or just N.O. in general). We'll start to get serious about a date as the time gets closer (March'ish?).

Keep pushing your boss on the C1, although it sounds like you're starting to lean towards the NE3 now. A great choice, more versatility, especially for studio work.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 11-28-2008).]

#249605 - 11/28/08 06:42 PM Re: FantomG update
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I have to confess, chas... the piano stuff you have heard is totally bog stock standard. No EQ, no compression (except for mastering afterwards, and that's the whole mix), no tone edits..!

I just happen to feel Roland got it just about perfect with the G70. From what you and several others have said, I get the feeling you agree The thing is... try to record yourself and listen afterwards. Evaluating while you actually play is kind of tough, you are trying to do two things at the same time. You may find yourself liking it a bit more on playback than you do on record

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online