SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#248451 - 11/16/08 03:18 AM Which keyboard is best for live playing?
sunny152 Offline

Loc: ap
I wan't to purchase a good arranger keyboard for my live playing.My requirement is getting studio quality sounds and effects on the stage.I don't sequence or play midi files.The choice is either Tyros3,Korg pa800 and Korg PA2X.I heard Tyros3 has got new studio reverb effect.Is Tyros-3 provides studio quality effects when played live?
So which arranger keyboard sound more impressive on stage?

Thanks,
Sunny

[This message has been edited by sunny152 (edited 11-16-2008).]

#248452 - 11/16/08 03:53 AM Re: Which keyboard is best for live playing?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I use a Yamaha PSR-S900...perfect for my needs as a "live" player...light, compact, reliable, great operating system, and lots of third party support.

Ian

#248453 - 11/16/08 04:24 AM Re: Which keyboard is best for live playing?
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
This kind of question sunny genuinely has no answer other than " the keyboard you are most comfortable with "

You will only have an answer that works best for you......noone else.

#248454 - 11/16/08 04:32 AM Re: Which keyboard is best for live playing?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Spalding is right...it should be "the keyboard you are most comfortable with"

We all have different needs, and different ears, and we also vary in our approach to playing "live".

An arranger is a big investment for most of us, so it is best to "try before you buy".

Sounding "impressive on stage" also depends heavily on your choice of sound system.

Ian

#248455 - 11/16/08 06:51 AM Re: Which keyboard is best for live playing?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
All of the above answers are good and to the point. The only thing I might add, as a live performer, is select a keyboard that allows you to do things quickly and efficiently on the fly. One that allows you to perform a multitude of tasks while performing a song in front of a live audience, and do this in a manner that does not detract from your performance.

There are lots of great arranger keyboards available today, most of which would be an excellent choice for live performances. Despite the petty bickering you read hear about sound quality, there is not a hill of beans difference between the TOTL boards, especially if you take the time to tune them to your sound system. It's what you do with the keyboard during the performance that counts most.

Good luck on your decision,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#248456 - 11/16/08 07:54 AM Re: Which keyboard is best for live playing?
Dnj Offline

As my good buddy gary has stated...
Again its not the KB its the player....
good luck in your search.

#248457 - 11/16/08 08:15 AM Re: Which keyboard is best for live playing?
zuki Offline

I use to think one arranger might be better for this type, that type, etc....but I believe, like Donny said, it's the player that can make ANY pro arranger do any type music you want. They really all have the tools to do so. It's what you find the best to work with.

With that said, I do like the Korg for the harmonizer funtion. It adds a special element without outside gear. Roland has one also. Yamaha might be less attractive in that area, although MY OPINION ONLY.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#248458 - 11/16/08 11:08 AM Re: Which keyboard is best for live playing?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Sounding "impressive on stage" also depends heavily on your choice of sound system.

Personally, sounding impressive onstage has about 10% to do with your gear... the other 90% is up to you

The truth is, most of the best players out there, that use studio gear for recordings, etc., don't go out on stage with a big Lexicon TOTL reverb, or LA2A's, or boutique preamps (especially if they are doing their own mix). They don't use Fairlights on stage much any more, or Synclaviers. Even Oasys's are rare (never seen one outside of a concert tour by a major act)...

What's 'good enough' for live? Whatever makes you comfortable, whatever makes your audience want more... And MANY great players do that with FAR from the 'latest, greatest'....

Arrangers tend to vary most in either ease of use, or the available styles, and those style's overall 'philosophy' (busy, sparse, aggressive, subdued). The effects section is probably the least important consideration compared to those. If I were you, I'd spend most of my time auditioning the styles, and giving the T3 and PA2X a good try out before a decision. See which styles suit you best. Your audience will be hard pressed to tell the difference between reverb sounds on stage, but they'll SURE hear the style (especially bass and drums) differences.

Asking for a recommendation on this forum is basically just asking 'what do YOU use?', because it's rare to see anyone think past 'if it's good for me, it MUST be good for everyone else!'.

You might do better to state what KIND of music you intend to play, as it's a little easier (but not much ) to get an honest opinion about what's best for Latin, or country, or bigband, etc..

Tell us a bit more about what you want to do other than it's got to have a good reverb!

#248459 - 11/16/08 11:10 AM Re: Which keyboard is best for live playing?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
I do like the Korg for the harmonizer funtion. It adds a special element without outside gear. Roland has one also. Yamaha might be less attractive in that area, although MY OPINION ONLY.

Zuki with the TC Harmony M I have eliminated the VH crutch forever

#248460 - 11/16/08 11:28 AM Re: Which keyboard is best for live playing?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by sunny152:
I wan't to purchase a good arranger keyboard for my live playing.My requirement is getting studio quality sounds and effects on the stage.I don't sequence or play midi files.The choice is either Tyros3,Korg pa800 and Korg PA2X.I heard Tyros3 has got new studio reverb effect.Is Tyros-3 provides studio quality effects when played live?
So which arranger keyboard sound more impressive on stage?

Thanks,
Sunny

[This message has been edited by sunny152 (edited 11-16-2008).]

From a T3 owner and former PA2x owner. Go with the PA2x for live use. you will benefit from the dual sequencer, XLR mike input,Songlist,76 keys, better harmonizer (albeit not today's TC Helicon by a long margin) Go with an external harmonizer. They are far better then any internal one I have heard or played around with especially for live use where feedback is important and immediate.

Which sounds more impressive? thats subjective. I would say the Tyros. Thats what I ended up with and am satisfied with for the most part. Bur for live use I would have kept the Korg as it's features cover that arena better.

Effects....I did not get that deep into the Korg. But I am satisfied with the T3's ability to assign EFX and the quality of them.

Keep in mind though the Tyros has a far larger and more divers library of native styles to select from. That was the straw that broke the PAXs back in my world. Lack of available useful style choices and support.

Sufficiently confused? Good we all were in the beginning before we found what works best for our needs,and what compromises we could live with in that regard

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 11-16-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online