SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#248187 - 11/13/08 03:01 AM Jimi Hendrix's Drummer Dies......
Dnj Offline

#248188 - 11/13/08 11:50 AM Re: Jimi Hendrix's Drummer Dies......
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Mitch Mitchell was the last surviving memeber of the original Jimi Hendrix experience. I wasn't quite as into Hendrix as much as I was other groups of that era, Doors, Floyd, ELP etc, but I was a pretty big fan of Robin Trower, and realizing that much of his inspiration came from JHE, I did revisit them often and managed to collect all of their studio albums over the years.

His drumming was kind of unique for that time period and in the genres JHE played in. Just two months ago Rick Wright also left this world. Sadly, some of the legends of my favorite era of music are passing along. If there is something of a paradise or anything at all after this life, I hope you get there Mitch. Thanks for the music.

Today I've shifted gears and enjoy good simpler guitar based singer stuff as much as I enjoyed the harder edged blues, rock and fusion of the 60's and 70's. Alas, all except one of my favorite "5" ( Nick Drake, Jeff Buckley, Elliot Smith and Syd Barrett ) are also gone, never to make great music again, but Alexi Murdoch is young and I hope to hear many more good things from him. Drake's stuff only sounds simple from afar btw, until you actually try to play it or watch someone else, even a very good guitarist, play it with the same verve he had.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-13-2008).]

#248189 - 11/13/08 12:10 PM Re: Jimi Hendrix's Drummer Dies......
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That is very sad news. Mitch has just been touring here on the West Coast as well with "Experience Jimi Hendrix" playing with Billy Cox, Buddy Guy ,Kenny Wayne Shepherd and others which was a Hendrix tribute show.

"Scuse Me While I Kiss The Sky"
- Jim Hendrix "Purple Haze"

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 11-13-2008).]

#248190 - 11/13/08 12:35 PM Re: Jimi Hendrix's Drummer Dies......
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Second hand anecdote only, sadly...

I worked in England with a guitarist who had played in the Mitch Mitchell Band. He was a great guy, and when we played a Hendrix tune (or three!), MAN! It was an 'Experience' for sure!

Mitch will be missed....

#248191 - 11/13/08 01:03 PM Re: Jimi Hendrix's Drummer Dies......
Dnj Offline

Their Music will always live on.....
may he R.I.P.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online