SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#247327 - 11/04/08 05:00 AM new website
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Hi guys,

I've been learning web design using adobe dreamweaver. I'm starting to understand it pretty well. If anyone needs help designing one or has any questions using dreamweaver 8 feel free to contact me. I'm thinking about creating some on the side for friends at a reduced cost. Contact me if interested.

This is what I've done so far for a friend. www.gottricks.com www.mrtwistershow.com

These are ad revenue sites. Focused on google adsense hence all the ads.

Thanks,
Michael

#247328 - 11/04/08 11:44 AM Re: new website
ytlevine Offline

Very Nice!!
I have done some sites, also with Dreamweaver, but I mostly do multimedia work.
I still have some parts of the program to learn, but for everyone out there who is thinking about doing their own website, look into Dreamweaver (you can get a free trial on Adobe's web site) and don't be afraid to try it - even though you can do some very complicated things with the program, it is easy to do the simple things too, which makes it a great program.
If anyone has questions, I don't mind answering them (if I can).
You can email me at ytlevine(the at sign)mehudarmultimedia(dot)com.

#247329 - 11/04/08 12:51 PM Re: new website
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Mikey, I do communications effectiveness research at the university level, and one thing that should be avoided is using type that is more than 24 picas (roughly 2 1/4" or so) wide. Wider colums reduces recall rate and effectiveness about 25 % for a vested interest audience.

Also, reverse type should be avoided if there are more than 65-70 words. Readers simply give up.

As far as wider columns go, readers have to focus on two separate areas of the line to comprehend. Everyone "speed reads" now, and the optimum is to have columns presesnted so that the eye hits each line once.

Boxed copy on the second site to separate the blues is a nice touch. Photos are good quality. That's the downfall of many "homegrown" sites. On camera strobes should be avoided like the plague (flat looks and background shadows, plus "red eye").

Keep up the good work!

Russ

#247330 - 11/04/08 01:06 PM Re: new website
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Mikey, Good for you learning and using Dreamweaver. There's a steep learning curve to using it, but it looks like you're on your way. Good luck.

#247331 - 11/04/08 01:30 PM Re: new website
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mickey,

I've been using Dream Weaver for several years and it's a fantastic program. I also have all the plug-ins, which are in themselves incredible tools.

One of the first things I noticed about the pages is they were constructed in pixels. Consequently, the size of the page will change with screen resolution. This, however, can easily be corrected by changing those pixel figures to percentages, which is something I learned from Synthzone member Mike Suttlif. Once changed to percentage, the page size automatically adjusts to the monitor resolution used.

Good luck

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online